IGNORED

Your Favorite Putter Of All Time Is?

Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess I'm a putter "ho" because I am constantly changing my putter, each time thinking that what I am switching to is better.  I've yet to find a putter that I can keep in the bag for more than a few months at a time.  I know that it's probably better if I just stick with one but after a while of trying this (and the recent memories of crucial missed putts in my mind), it's easy to make a change.

Since I started golfing in June, my putters that I gamed went like this:

Odyssey Rossie II DualForce - my first putter from the early 90's that used to be my Aunt's putter.  After a few weeks I went out an bought a new Odyssey White Ice 330 Mallet.  This was fine for a while but then I picked up a new Odyssey White Hot XG Two Ball that I was using back and forth with the 330 Mallet.  After reading so much about Scotty's and seeing how the tour pros use them a lot, I decided it was time to trade in both of the Odyssey's I had and got myself a new California Fastback.  I had it in the bag for more than 2 months but thought I could do better.  Thus I have now traded that in for the Taylormade Ghost Spider S which is great so far. Been using that for almost a month now.  A few weeks ago I also picked up a Scotty Cameron Select Golo as my backup putter and have been mainly using the Ghost Spider S but will use the Golo once every 4 or 5 rounds or so.

After going through all those putters I do not have a set favorite as of yet.  I prefer mallets to blades for sure.  Tried putting with blades but I find it too hard to line up/aim.  What is everyone's favorite putter and why?  Has anyone else gone through as many changes as me?  Hopefully the Ghost Spider S and the Golo stay around for a long time but I've said that before.......

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by European Macca

There is only one. Scotty Cameron Select Studio Newport. It stays in the house with me where as the other clubs stay in the garage! Not sure why it's named after a small town in Wales?

Like most early Scotty's, the one you are referring to was named after a location in California, where Cameron is from.

My favorite putter is also a Scotty. 1998 TeI3 Santa Fe. We've been through a lot together the past 15 years. Here's a stock photo of one:

Tyler Martin

Ping D66 blade with interchangable weights in the bottom. If I don't like the way it feels that day I change the weights until I do (before the round). I putt well with it and rarely change the weights but they are fun to fool around with.

Here's a list of my putters...all time favourite is the 2-Ball

• Wilson 8802 - two years, extremely difficult to putt with, but it looked beautiful
  • Ping Ally 2 - two years, learned what a perfectly balanced putter should feel like
  • Odyssey 2-Ball - ten years, learned how to putt with this old girl, and I'll love her forever
  • Odyssey Sabertooth 2 - brand new, but it just felt right

Never realized how many two's there are in my putter arsenal

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit - 9.5* Stiff

Woods: TaylorMade R11S - 3W Stiff, TaylorMade R11 Ti - 5W Stiff

Irons: Callaway X-12 - 3-PW Uniflex

Wedges: TaylorMade Rocketballz 50* AW - Cleveland 588 RTG 56* SW

Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth 2

Odyssey #7. Ugly, but you can't argue with success.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Ben Crenshaw. :)

Damn, beat me to it.  That is exactly what I was going to post.

Great minds think alike.   Apparently so do ours.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

My Golo by far.

I've also got a SC Studio Select Newport 2.0, Select Big Sur, NC Sub 30 type 20 and type 50, Yes! Sandy, Odyssey White Hot 2 balls, Nike Method Core MC3i, and others I can't even remember.

The Golo is just my go to. I drain more putts with it without even thinking. I have a pendulum stroke with a putter and this thing is just so perfectly balanced for me, I look at the cup, line up my feet, stroke, drop....  And if it doesn't, it's within a foot of the cup. Distance control is perfect etc. I have had this putter for 5 months now and I bet I've had less than 5-6 3 putts with it. I absolutely love it.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

Originally Posted by slodsm

My Golo by far.

I've also got a SC Studio Select Newport 2.0, Select Big Sur, NC Sub 30 type 20 and type 50, Yes! Sandy, Odyssey White Hot 2 balls, Nike Method Core MC3i, and others I can't even remember.

The Golo is just my go to. I drain more putts with it without even thinking. I have a pendulum stroke with a putter and this thing is just so perfectly balanced for me, I look at the cup, line up my feet, stroke, drop....  And if it doesn't, it's within a foot of the cup. Distance control is perfect etc. I have had this putter for 5 months now and I bet I've had less than 5-6 3 putts with it. I absolutely love it.

I'm fairly pleased with the Golo so far but I think that I just have to get used to it.  One thing that I regret doing is putting a Superstroke Slim grip on it.  It works fine for my Ghost Spider S but it's a bit too big for the Golo.  It would work better with just a bit smaller of a grip because the club itself is not as big as the Ghost Spider S.  I'm thiking of having a Superstroke mid-slim put on it as it's supposed to be just a little bit smaller than the slim and the ultra slim is too thin for my liking.

I also just ordered another Scotty....I know I have to stop but I am determined to find the best putter!  It was not that expensive though.  Got it on ebay.  It's a 34" Scotty Cameron Studio Select Kombi-S.  I like mallet putters and the price was too good to turn down.  Even if I do not like it then I can at least trade it in at GG for almost as must as I bought it for.  That's the one good thing about Scotty's is that they seem to hold their value well.

I think someone already mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I see and hear about the Odyssey #7 putter.  So many people use it so I may have to try one of those out.  I mean, if it's good enough for Luke Donald and Ian Poulter, then there must be something to it.  Anyone game a #7 that can chime in on what is so great about it?

I am a bade guy myself, I have tried the mallet style and wanted to like it, but I found it is too big although it is definitely easier to align. I had a scotty oil can (forget which style) years ago which I loved but sold when I stopped playing so hopefully the newport 2 I have now will become my favourite. I promised myself (and my wife who bought it for me) I would keep the newport 2 for awhile and accept that it is me, not the putter who three putts.

bjwestner: The Kombi S is a great putter, especially if you like mallets like you stated previously. I used one in Hawaii when I rented a set of clubs and the feel was excellent. Good luck with your purchase.

Received the Kombi S last night when I got home from work.  It's in pretty good shape for a used club.  I immediately went to a course and was using it for about 45 minutes until it got too dark out.  I like it a lot!  You are right, it is a very nice putter.  I actually think it's even better than the Golo!  I gotta get my Golo regripped though.  That superstroke slim grip is just too damn big for it.  Has anyone out there been able to obtain the new Superstroke 2.0 mid slim grip yet?  It seems that Golfsmith is the only place that has them.  GG does not and neither does TGW.  I'm hoping that GG gets them soon as then I can get that on the Golo.

Also, was watching the golf coverage last night on Golf Channel.  The pre-game show had Alex Miceli talking to Scotty Cameron in Hawaii.  Scotty confirmed that there is going to be a smaller Golo that will be coming to market.  Currently only available to the pros.  I think that is the one that DJ used last week to win.  It looks sweet!

Update:  I consolidated putters last night.  I had too many and was switching too much.  Thus I now only have two and am going to try my best to keep it like that for a while.  I need to stay consistent and cannot keep switching putters every week almost.  I ended up keeping the Golo and also obtained a new select Newport 2.  That's it.  Thus now between those two I have the same material and the same brand, just the shape/weight is different.

I was never a blade guy but I think I was just biased versus the looks.  After hitting many putts with this Newport 2 I am realizing that I putt just the same if not better than with a mallet.

Titleist Bullseye.  Its still the greatest putter ever made because its beautiful and forces you to have a sound putting stroke to be successful with it.  I gamed a Bullseye when I first started playing golf and IMO, its the reason why Im such a good putter.  IMO, if you want to become a good putter, forget about the big ole ugly mallet with all of its high MOI and get yourself a Bullseye and head to the practice green.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Titleist Bullseye.  Its still the greatest putter ever made because its beautiful and forces you to have a sound putting stroke to be successful with it.  I gamed a Bullseye when I first started playing golf and IMO, its the reason why Im such a good putter.  IMO, if you want to become a good putter, forget about the big ole ugly mallet with all of its high MOI and get yourself a Bullseye and head to the practice green.

Is that the gold looking one that Corey Pavin used (or maybe still does, I don't know) for the longest time?

You could use it right handed or left handed, right?

Probably my Scotty Cameron Laguna II that I had personalized at the Custom Shop... damn thing was stolen though. I really like the SeeMore m2 that's in my bag right now though. Pretty much if I find one I like better it goes in and the old one gets sold.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 1831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!