IGNORED

My Swing (marvin)

marvin
Note: This thread is 3781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: A year, but really want to get it seriously.

My current handicap index or average score is: I don't know, since I only play at home or in the driving range.

My typical ball flight is: High, sometimes a bit slice

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I usually hit iron straight, but I'm still finding it difficult to hit a ball with 2/3 iron and wood/driver. Secondly, there is not much difference in terms of distance using 6 or 8 irons. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry for the poor quality and the back light. Old Blackberry on top of chair and bag in the afternoon.

Here I hit a 6 iron, Nike VRS cavity back, that I rent from the reception.
Your comments gratefully received. No matter how harsh. :)

Videos:

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

First of all it is really difficult to hit a 2 or 3 iron well. I would recommend using a 4 hybrid to eliminate both of those clubs. And for the swing try and make your back swing a little faster. When you have all that time on the back swing you have the possibility of mishitting on the downswing. So maybe that is why you are having trouble with hitting your 6 and 8 irons. But your balanced and that's good.

• Upvote 1

In the Bag:

Driver:  10.5 Superfast Burner 2.0

3 Wood:  15 Fairway Launcher

4 Hybrid:  22 Rescue

4-PW Irons:  RocketBallz Irons

Wedges:  588 Reg

Putter:  Backstryke Marxman

Balls:  Z-Star

Glove:  Weathersof

Originally Posted by Satch

First of all it is really difficult to hit a 2 or 3 iron well. I would recommend using a 4 hybrid to eliminate both of those clubs. And for the swing try and make your back swing a little faster. When you have all that time on the back swing you have the possibility of mishitting on the downswing. So maybe that is why you are having trouble with hitting your 6 and 8 irons. But your balanced and that's good.

Many thanks for your comments. Do you have any advice/suggestion on how to increase my swing speed in particular?

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

For the back swing or the down swing?

In the Bag:

For the back swing or the down swing?

Both. Trying to search some videos on Youtube, but apparently most of what I found are rubbish with no or very little educational value.

Well on my swing the two are in a rhythm. Now don't get me wrong, the back swing is supposed to be slow but not to the point where you could make a mistake in the middle of it. I would suggest (on the back swing) just going back faster but having a controlled swing with it. It's one of the things you will have to practice on the range. And on the down swing, because you're somewhat just starting out, your speed of the club head doesn't matter. If I were you I would practice hitting the ball straight rather than trying to speed your down swing up and scolding the ball almost every time.

• Upvote 1

In the Bag:

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering, according to my swing, would it be possible for me to hit a blade? I previously used to play with cavity back iron, and hit most of the time straight, probably a bit slice for longer iron. I just want a challenge and hopefully decrease my handicap sooner.

I would get the swing down first, get used to the game, before you go and challenge yourself. My first clubs were Ben Hogans Forged, they are a hit or miss sort of club. So that taught me how to hit the ball in the right area of the club so now when I use my newer clubs, Rocket Ballz irons and assorted drivers, they go to were I want them to go.

In the Bag:

Looking thru the darkness it appears that you are standing up a bit to much.Try to increase your spine angle more and speed up your tempo to help you lag from the top on down

I would get the swing down first, get used to the game, before you go and challenge yourself. My first clubs were Ben Hogans Forged, they are a hit or miss sort of club. So that taught me how to hit the ball in the right area of the club so now when I use my newer clubs, Rocket Ballz irons and assorted drivers, they go to were I want them to go.

Originally Posted by clueless

Looking thru the darkness it appears that you are standing up a bit to much.Try to increase your spine angle more and speed up your tempo to help you lag from the top on down

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it much. Will post better video soon.

Below are two better videos. I shot using 7-iron and 5-iron Mizuno MP-33 that I get a couple days ago from eBay/Gumtree.

7 iron:

5 iron:

My concern, other than consistency, is distance:
- iron 7: 130 yards
- iron 5: 150 yards
- iron 3: 170 yards

When I was back home, I feel like I can hit further than that (using JPX800 pro on a tropical weather). It is because of the forgiveness of the club or because of the cold weather (2°C). I don't know.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys. No matter how harsh. :)

The swing looks pretty sound, but you can not expect much more distance with a swing as slow as that. One tip I have that might help you generate more club head speed is when you get to the top is really pull down with your hands, like you are driving the grip into the. That should hold tge angle creating the lag in the clubhead. Also what shafts do you play?

Originally Posted by Jspangler

The swing looks pretty sound, but you can not expect much more distance with a swing as slow as that. One tip I have that might help you generate more club head speed is when you get to the top is really pull down with your hands, like you are driving the grip into the. That should hold tge angle creating the lag in the clubhead. Also what shafts do you play?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The shafts are standard, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300.

You're are already at a disadvantage with those. If you went to a Reg you'd gain distance. You probally are getting no flex from you shafts creating no lag. You are basically hitting the ball with a board.

You're are already at a disadvantage with those. If you went to a Reg you'd gain distance. You probally are getting no flex from you shafts creating no lag. You are basically hitting the ball with a board.

Should I change the shafts soon and get custom fit for my irons? Or better to take care about my fundamentals and mechanics of a proper swing, then do the custom fitting later?

Swing looks good, and sure a bit off extra punch in those distances would be good. But distance isn't the greatest thing in golf. Anyway you've only been playing a short time so your distance will just build anyway. As for clubs........Please don't go anywhere near anything that doesn't have a big cavity at the back. And remember loft is your friend, so driver.... high loft. Irons.....large cavity backs or better still a full hybrid set. Remember with your swing speed the higher you hit the ball the further it will go so replacing those s300's is a must. Go for something in the lighter flexes. Regular is too stiff. You'll play better golf with a set that more suited to you.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

I'd get fit first, your swing is not bad, and without nitpicking on little things I'd leave it be.

Originally Posted by logman

Swing looks good, and sure a bit off extra punch in those distances would be good. But distance isn't the greatest thing in golf. Anyway you've only been playing a short time so your distance will just build anyway. As for clubs........Please don't go anywhere near anything that doesn't have a big cavity at the back. And remember loft is your friend, so driver.... high loft. Irons.....large cavity backs or better still a full hybrid set. Remember with your swing speed the higher you hit the ball the further it will go so replacing those s300's is a must. Go for something in the lighter flexes. Regular is too stiff. You'll play better golf with a set that more suited to you.

Many thanks for your comments, guys. Really appreciate it much.

As for getting fitted and changing shafts, how much will it cost me? Since I'm a student, I've got to budget carefully so as not to have to dip into my savings. :)

Note: This thread is 3781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!