IGNORED

My Swing (marvin)

marvin
Note: This thread is 3808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Idk how much a fitting will cost in your area. Probally no more than $150 I'd say just an iron fitting and you would be alright with just a shaft replacement if you are trying to save money. You can scour the Internet for deals on a shaft that will help out. Say project x 5.0s, R200s, Nippon 950s, kbs tour 90s, can all be found relitivly cheap.

Good advice, But I'd be looking at a set in terms of getting rid of them in a year or two. I'd be looking at Ebay. And I'd be looking for light or senior flex.

• Upvote 1

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Good advice, But I'd be looking at a set in terms of getting rid of them in a year or two. I'd be looking at Ebay. And I'd be looking for light or senior flex.

It's really up to him, and how much money he chooses to spend. The problem I see with going with a light or senior flex is a) we don't actually his swingspeed and b) if he gains speed with just a few adjustments he will have to soft of shafts. I can see him gaining plenty of speed to play regs in the near future.

Right on Jspangler, good advice

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Many thanks for your comments, guys.

One more question, do you have any training suggestions to improve my downswing & clubhead speed in particular?

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

There are training aids that claim to help like the swing wing, I personally have not used any of those training aids. You can just hit the gym with a medicine ball. Can I ask, are you consciously aware you swinging slow?

Originally Posted by Jspangler

There are training aids that claim to help like the swing wing, I personally have not used any of those training aids. You can just hit the gym with a medicine ball. Can I ask, are you consciously aware you swinging slow?

Yes. I feel like I swing like a children. Wish I could increase my swing speed substantially.

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

Then consciously swing harder, why not take it 1/2 back and then swing as hard as you can on the downswing. Then as you are getting more consistent swinging harder you can lengthen your backswing. A quick fix to improve your scoring would be move up a set of tees. Play/practice from the women's tees, golf is more fun when you're scoring well.

Marvin - your swing looks pretty good - but in the first video I noticed that your left elbow was coming in your side (aka the chicken wing) at impact - a cause of this is your flipping the top of your left wrist upwards - that may be a reason why you're not getting the distances that you are looking for b/w your 6-8 irons. A good drill to work on is to use only your left hand with the club and place your club on the ground at the impact position (shaft leaning forward - club face pointing towards the dirt) your left wrist will bow (pronate) whereas your the top of your right wrist will hinge up (supinate).

And if you get a chance to read Ben Hogans: 5 fundamentals of Golf, that helped me understand how to strike the golf ball at impact - great illustrations in that book here are a few videos that helped me here and here and here

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 9.5*

Wood: 3 Wood Cobra S2 17*

Hybrid: 3 & 4 Hybrid Titleist PT 585 H 21* 24*

Irons: 5-PW Mizuno MP-69 

Wedges: 52*/5 R-12, 58*/10 Black Ox, 64*/7 T-11 Mizuno 

Then consciously swing harder, why not take it 1/2 back and then swing as hard as you can on the downswing. Then as you are getting more consistent swinging harder you can lengthen your backswing. A quick fix to improve your scoring would be move up a set of tees. Play/practice from the women's tees, golf is more fun when you're scoring well.

Thanks. I will try to spend more time swinging harder and faster. (I broke my left arm when I was kid, so I guess it makes me feel kinda afraid to make a full speed swing)

Originally Posted by Gaber

Marvin - your swing looks pretty good - but in the first video I noticed that your left elbow was coming in your side (aka the chicken wing) at impact - a cause of this is your flipping the top of your left wrist upwards - that may be a reason why you're not getting the distances that you are looking for b/w your 6-8 irons. A good drill to work on is to use only your left hand with the club and place your club on the ground at the impact position (shaft leaning forward - club face pointing towards the dirt) your left wrist will bow (pronate) whereas your the top of your right wrist will hinge up (supinate).

And if you get a chance to read Ben Hogans: 5 fundamentals of Golf, that helped me understand how to strike the golf ball at impact - great illustrations in that book here are a few videos that helped me here and here and here

Thanks for mentioning about my chicken wing. I'll pay more attention on my left wrist as well as my follow through. Also thanks for the links and resources you gave, absolutely useful.

I probably will work more on my swings and see how it goes for a month or two before getting custom fitted.

Originally Posted by marvin

Thanks. I will try to spend more time swinging harder and faster. (I broke my left arm when I was kid, so I guess it makes me feel kinda afraid to make a full speed swing)

Thanks for mentioning about my chicken wing. I'll pay more attention on my left wrist as well as my follow through. Also thanks for the links and resources you gave, absolutely useful.

I probably will work more on my swings and see how it goes for a month or two before getting custom fitted.

hope it helps! Let us know how you make out! If and when you do get custom fitted make sure you look at grip sizes (your hand could be smaller/larger for a standard grip) as well as glove size - FootJoy (FJ) has this little device in the glove section that shows you which size of glove you should be wearing, here in London Ontario we have a GolfTown thats where I got fitted - they did a good job - or you could wait for golf manufactures such as Mizuno and have them custom fit you - you don't have to buy anything there and then but at least it gives you an idea on what you need.

There swing optimizer is awesome (Mizuno) I play Mizuno MP-69

Just came back from the range. Been trying to increase my swing speed and focus on eliminating "chicken wing." I've got a little more distance, about 4-5 yards. Not too bad, I suppose.

Swing harder damn you! Just kidding... Anyways I find you to have a pretty impressive swing for someone to have just started playing a year ago. Get in a gym and get a little stronger. I really don't like the idea of telling you to over swing and I can tell in you last videos that's what you are trying to do. As a new golfer you should be building proper mechanics and TEMPO! Tempo is so important I had to put it in caps. Distance will come when your body is synced up in the right way. So I don't believe the chicken wing this and the shaft flex that. Concentrate on good mechanics and solid strike. Also, you should post a vid face on so we can see what your hips and hands are doing through impact. There might be things going on we can't see from down the line

Originally Posted by Rip24

Swing harder damn you! Just kidding... Anyways I find you to have a pretty impressive swing for someone to have just started playing a year ago. Get in a gym and get a little stronger. I really don't like the idea of telling you to over swing and I can tell in you last videos that's what you are trying to do. As a new golfer you should be building proper mechanics and TEMPO! Tempo is so important I had to put it in caps. Distance will come when your body is synced up in the right way. So I don't believe the chicken wing this and the shaft flex that. Concentrate on good mechanics and solid strike. Also, you should post a vid face on so we can see what your hips and hands are doing through impact. There might be things going on we can't see from down the line

i agree with tempo - but its good to understand what types of issues as a new golfer can work on - marvin its up to you to figure out what will help - Ive had just one lesson and I found that everything that i was working on, on my own was just reinforced - keep it up though!

I can tell you are swinging faster so I glad you are improving.

Originally Posted by Rip24

Originally Posted by Gaber

i agree with tempo - but its good to understand what types of issues as a new golfer can work on - marvin its up to you to figure out what will help - Ive had just one lesson and I found that everything that i was working on, on my own was just reinforced - keep it up though!

Thanks for your comments, guys. Really appreciate it. I think it's better for me to focus at one aspect of improvement at a time in order to make such a gradual and consistent progress. Okay, dumb question here. What is the difference between TEMPO and SPEED? Can you give me pictures/videos that explains those differences?

PS: The range is a bit cramped. But whenever possible, I'll try to post a video face on, so you can comment on my lower body and hands doing.

• 2 weeks later...

View from face/upfront. Comments and suggestions are welcome. No matter how harsh. :)

Originally Posted by marvin

Thanks for your comments, guys. Really appreciate it. I think it's better for me to focus at one aspect of improvement at a time in order to make such a gradual and consistent progress. Okay, dumb question here. What is the difference between TEMPO and SPEED? Can you give me pictures/videos that explains those differences?

PS: The range is a bit cramped. But whenever possible, I'll try to post a video face on, so you can comment on my lower body and hands doing.

Youtube it! I can't seem to find it but there is a good one about tempo - basically every moving part of your swing  in sync... You can force your club to get to the top by quickly jerking it - where as you make a smooth fluid motion back and through the backswing and follow through - look at Ernie Els he's a perfect example - also saw your video you're still collapsing at impact and not extending your arms through impact --- look at the best players they all extend after impact (youtube it again!)

Note: This thread is 3808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!