IGNORED

My Swing (marvin)

marvin
Note: This thread is 3801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How old are you Marvin? Again i don't think your swing is bad. I could point out things but that would be nitpicking...it just seems... I dunno tentative? Like the club is too heavy and you can't get it moving? I could be wrong but I really think its a strength issue. Go get some good meals and go chop some wood or something... Start generating a little more power. I'm not trying to be mean but let's be honest your not a huge guy...

Originally Posted by Rip24

How old are you Marvin? Again i don't think your swing is bad. I could point out things but that would be nitpicking...it just seems... I dunno tentative? Like the club is too heavy and you can't get it moving? I could be wrong but I really think its a strength issue. Go get some good meals and go chop some wood or something... Start generating a little more power. I'm not trying to be mean but let's be honest your not a huge guy...

I'm almost 30. I broke my left arm when I was 14. I know I'm not a big guy. Should I spend more time in the gym to gain more power and strength?

I don't think the club is too heavy, but I think the shaft (DG S300) is.

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

Originally Posted by marvin

I'm almost 30. I broke my left arm when I was 14. I know I'm not a big guy. Should I spend more time in the gym to gain more power and strength?

I don't think the club is too heavy, but I think the shaft (DG S300) is.

Possibly graphite shafts for you then?

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 9.5*

Wood: 3 Wood Cobra S2 17*

Hybrid: 3 & 4 Hybrid Titleist PT 585 H 21* 24*

Irons: 5-PW Mizuno MP-69 

Wedges: 52*/5 R-12, 58*/10 Black Ox, 64*/7 T-11 Mizuno 

View from face/upfront. Comments and suggestions are welcome. No matter how harsh. :)

Firstly, very nice swing for someone playing a year or so.

The one area/problem that I suggest you should work on is in relation to what is called "casting"

Freeze the video between 16-17 seconds. Your club is almost trying to "scoop the ball up" rather than the club face compressing the ball into the ground as should be the case.

You seem to be pulling out of the shot before the ball is hit, the bend in the shaft at 17 seconds suggests this.

This will be a very alien feeling at the start, I know as I used to cast the club myself.

Don't be afraid to smash that ball into the ground... that should be your mindset.

Have a look at this video, it's long but it explains it in detail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgI1ENI6fUo

I'd also suggest that the ball looks to far forward in your stance too for the 7i and 9i. It looks like it should be further back.

I agree with Hopefulhacker, casting saps power. Hold onto those angles you create at the top and save the hit for the moment of impact. Then you'll start compressing the ball. That smash the ball into the ground is a good thought to have. Just make sure you don't change your path and get steeper to do it. That is a common tendency since it feels powerful but it's not. Good luck!

Originally Posted by hopefulhacker

The one area/problem that I suggest you should work on is in relation to what is called "casting"

Freeze the video between 16-17 seconds. Your club is almost trying to "scoop the ball up" rather than the club face compressing the ball into the ground as should be the case.

You seem to be pulling out of the shot before the ball is hit, the bend in the shaft at 17 seconds suggests this.

This will be a very alien feeling at the start, I know as I used to cast the club myself.

Don't be afraid to smash that ball into the ground... that should be your mindset.

I'd also suggest that the ball looks to far forward in your stance too for the 7i and 9i. It looks like it should be further back.

Actually the "bend" in the shaft is more likely due to the way the camera captures the images.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Gaber

Possibly graphite shafts for you then?

I'm interested in KBS Tour X, to be honest. But I will probably perfecting my swing first, until it become consistent enough, then get custom fitted and change to the proper shaft.

Originally Posted by hopefulhacker

I agree with Hopefulhacker, casting saps power. Hold onto those angles you create at the top and save the hit for the moment of impact. Then you'll start compressing the ball. That smash the ball into the ground is a good thought to have. Just make sure you don't change your path and get steeper to do it. That is a common tendency since it feels powerful but it's not. Good luck!

Thanks for the video you suggest. Quite clear, particularly on scooping/casting. Yes, I admit that sometimes I still feel that I'm afraid to smash that ball into the ground.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Actually the "bend" in the shaft is more likely due to the way the camera captures the images.

Are you sure it's because of the camera, not the shaft? I'm using old BlackBerry Bold, anyway.

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

He is correct about the camera although there is some shaft bend as it kicks through impact the camera can exaggerates it. Due to the way digital cameras scan the images it they can distort fast motion if the frame rate is too slow

• 2 weeks later...

Bro Chicken Wing Very obvious has to eliminate to gain more distance.

Beautiful up swing there wonderful shoulder turn. Keep it up.

Chicken wing probably from casting the club too much try to get your impact position right!

The apparent bend in the shaft is from shutter roll. If you turn the camera sideways and make the same video and then rotate the image 90 degrees on your computer the shaft will appear almost straight.

Or get a camera that shoots more frames per second. Lots of people think they've got a swing release problem or a shaft problem because of the shutter roll effect that they see when they make a video.

I'm not sure I would change much at this point. Strength is likely not an issue. Distance will come soon enough! You definitely should not make any major changes to that swing...it's a good solid movement.

Remember. Swing faster, NOT harder.

In the bag:

Cleveland 3-PW Irons CG16, Cleveland CG15 gap, Cleveland 56 SW, TaylorMade Burner 2.0 driver, Nike SQ 3W, TaylorMade r7 Rescue, Scotty, Small Bottle of Crown!

Chicken wing coming through doesnt have anything to do with power, it just looks ugly.... Long drive champ Jamie Sadlowski chicken wings it and he murders the ball like 400 yards easy... Lee Westwood chicken wings too and he is one of the best iron players on tour.
  • Upvote 1

Originally Posted by MS256

The apparent bend in the shaft is from shutter roll. If you turn the camera sideways and make the same video and then rotate the image 90 degrees on your computer the shaft will appear almost straight.

Or get a camera that shoots more frames per second. Lots of people think they've got a swing release problem or a shaft problem because of the shutter roll effect that they see when they make a video.

Thanks. I'll try to post new videos using much more proper camera.

Originally Posted by TommyBoy

I'm not sure I would change much at this point. Strength is likely not an issue. Distance will come soon enough! You definitely should not make any major changes to that swing...it's a good solid movement.

Remember. Swing faster, NOT harder.

Thanks. Very encouraging indeed. I hope distance will come soon. It's been a year since I first playing golf.

I'm currently trying to eliminate chicken wing/casting problems. I'm also trying to keep my head steady -- this problem sometimes occurred particularly in longer irons and woods/driver.

Chicken wing coming through doesnt have anything to do with power, it just looks ugly.... Long drive champ Jamie Sadlowski chicken wings it and he murders the ball like 400 yards easy... Lee Westwood chicken wings too and he is one of the best iron players on tour.

I don't know whether chicken wings relates to distance and power. But I agree with you, chicken wings unarguably looks ugly. :)

Thanks. I'll try to post new videos using much more proper camera.

Nothing wrong with using that camera. You can see most of the important things you want to see...Just don't be misled by the apparent shaft flex.

It takes a very high speed camera to get a true look at the shaft dynamics. I have a Zi8 and it's not even close to enough fps to study the shaft load (I think it's 70fps if I remember right). One of these days I would like to get a very high speed camera just for fun.

P.S. I've got some chicken wing in my swing also, especially on less than full speed shots, and I don't have a power problem. On full shots my left arm stays a little more straight for longer after impact because of the momentum of the club going down the line. My chicken wing got a little worse last year in a subconscious attempt to protect my injured rotator cuff. After throwing 150 baseballs every day for about a month the shoulder miraculously fixed itself (go figure). Ha ha!

I never would have thought that what hurt it in the first place would also fix it. Now it feels fine.

• 6 months later...

New video uploaded after six months. Iron shot and bunker shot. Let me know what you think guys!

Comments, critics, suggestions are appreciated.

• 1 month later...

New video uploaded after six months. Iron shot and bunker shot. Let me know what you think guys!

Comments, critics, suggestions are appreciated.

Somebody please comment on this :)

• Administrator
Somebody please comment on this :)

If you list your handicap, it's easier to comment. It doesn't change much but it changes things a little.

For your bunker shot, you take the club too much up the plane, and your weight's not forward at all. Look at this thread: .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you list your handicap, it's easier to comment. It doesn't change much but it changes things a little.

For your bunker shot, you take the club too much up the plane, and your weight's not forward at all. Look at this thread:  ​.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Erik.

I don't record my handicap. I score between 110-100. My problem is inconsistency in long iron (3-5). I hit my 3 and 5 wood just fine, but I can only hit good shots on my driver 30-40%.

My short game is not bad, however I'm terrible at chipping from uneven/sloping ground. Also, my bunker shot is terrible.

Note: This thread is 3801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!