IGNORED

Rory McIllroy and New Nike VR_S Covert driver

petermccarthy
Note: This thread is 4064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will there be an impact on Rory McIlroy's game with the switch to Nike?

• Yes - He won't win in 2013
    • Yes - He'll lose his No. 1 ranking
    • No - There will be no impact

I wonder what the impact will be on his game after the equipment switch from Titleist to Nike. Though he mentions the below it must have some effect...thoughts?

Going to give the VR_S Covert a go on demo as soon as I can get my hands on it...

In that sense, McIlroy has the advantage of seeing a track record with the company. He will play the new Nike VR_S Covert driver, the first cavity-backed driver. He will play the 20XI X golf ball, one that has a firm cover and spins less and which he said in testing allowed him to hit the ball better into the wind.

McIlory said he spent considerable time at Nike's testing facility known as "The Oven'' in Fort Worth, Texas. "It's been a relatively easy process,'' said McIlroy, who had used Titleist products since turning pro in 2009. "I feel like I've transitioned seamlessly from one thing to another. I'm really comfortable with all of the clubs. I'm getting more distance out of the driver and the ball. I'm comfortable with the irons, everything has fallen into place. I'm excited to put the clubs in play.''

Why must all subjective "impacts" be negative?  Rory could explode, win multiple tournaments/majors.  Any way his season goes (good or bad) the equipment change will be reason #1.

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really don't think there is going to be an impact on Rory's game to the extent where he will not win because of the equipment.

This isn't the 90s.  All of the golf companies have come a LONG way (including Nike Golf) with their equipment and we are pretty much at a point now where the difference between say...Titleist and Nike isn't light years apart.  Right off the bat, the irons will be pretty much the same.  The driver apparently is hotter than his Titleist was PLUS, it's really the shaft that matters the most with the driver.  The fairway woods are comparable to what he was playing with Titleist.  And the putter, well, we all know how over blown putters are.  The Nike putter will more than suffice his needs on the green.

The ONLY difference between the two companies that I think will matter is the golf ball.  Based on early reports, Rory has stated that the ball has worked great for him, especially in the wind.  If what he says is true and not an attempt to toot the company horn, then he'll have another good season.

• Upvote 1

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I think Rors will be fine.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Rory will be fine. I am sure there will be some adjustment but I do not think that the clubs themselves will have a big impact on his game. Rory is the reason the ball goes in the hole, not the name stamped on the back of the club. I have a hard time believing that there are any major differences in clubs anymore, especially the ones that are custom made for a tour pro.

Rory will be just fine... don't really like the poll options though. I think that it is possible that Rory could lose his #1 status but it'll be because of great play from Tiger or Donald or something like that, not because of his switch to Nike.

Originally Posted by vasaribm

Why must all subjective "impacts" be negative?  Rory could explode, win multiple tournaments/majors.  Any way his season goes (good or bad) the equipment change will be reason #1.

I both agree and disagree with this... I agree that the impact of the new equipment could be both positive and negative, however, no matter how his season goes, I don't think that the equipment will be the #1 reason (or even in the top 5).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Rory will be just fine... don't really like the poll options though. I think that it is possible that Rory could lose his #1 status but it'll be because of great play from Tiger or Donald or something like that, not because of his switch to Nike. I both agree and disagree with this... I agree that the impact of the new equipment could be both positive and negative, however, no matter how his season goes, I don't think that the equipment will be the #1 reason (or even in the top 5).

I didn't communicate my thought very well. I was trying to say that it will be what starts most conversations about rory this year. There will be numerous stat comparisons on golf channel and chamblee opinions trying to prove whether he made a good choice. Is he getting up down, sand saves, driving accuracy, etc. I agree he could have a down season and the equipment would be the least of his problems.

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

It's going to be hard to determine if Rory drops from #1 what the actual cause is.

Obviously the Nike contract impacts him in numerous ways.  He's likely got the highest endorsement contract on Tour which is going to put a ton of pressure on him.  He's in the spotlight not just overseas but here in the US, it's going to be difficult for him to have much privacy.  The equipment will be different and people will make numerous references to it, which in itself can cause a confidence issue.

Overall I think he'll struggle in the beginning because I don't think he's used to getting all the media attention.  Tiger and Rory could switch roles, reporters are going to be asking Tiger about Rory where as Rory is used to being asked about Tiger.  By the end of the season I expect Tiger and Rory to be #1 and #2 but not sure who will be #1, I'd guess Tiger right now.

Joe Paradiso

I dont think there will be an impact.  Nike is going to give him the best gear that money can buy and is going to build it to whatever specs he wants.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Pretty sure nike brass were relieved when #1 and #2 went home on friday after that 160 yd driver and popped up 3 metal by Tiger and then the boomerang 3 metal to the par 5 by Rory, not the marketing picture they were trying to paint! Rory get that T 9-10 weapon back in your bag.Moe Knows!

Maybe Titleist needs to have a new ad series: "Miss me yet?"

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Maybe golfers should realize that an extreme snap hook is not the clubs fault - but the person swinging it - same goes for tops and sky balls.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I find it very interesting that more golfers are still more inclined to think its the arrow, not the Indian. Did Rory not struggle last year, did he not win as well? I play golf, tennis, basketball, soccer, but I have never seen a game where many of its players are more susceptible to marketing gimmicks than golf. It's where you would see a 30 handicapper who believes a new $300 driver will help him drive the ball 280 yards down the fairway, how about you work on your swing first, buddy? Tell a basketball player that a new leather technology on the ball will help him make more jumpers, and you will get laughed out of town.

In all honesty, the most important aspect of the game is probably the ball...more expensive isn't always better....depends more on your swing speed. I saw the Wilson duo golf ball commercial where some guy was talking about how he was surprised the Wilson ball went 25-30 yards farther than his Titleist. I immediately went "Really, dude? You are hitting 30 yards farther because of a new ball? Is that on every club? Is it on icy lakes or regular fairways? Any local bridges you wanna sell while you're at it?"

I just think a lot more golfers, myself included, would do themselves more good by taking lessons to develop a consistent swing than trying to chase after the newest, longest, gravity-defying technology.

As for my boy Rory, he will be just fine. He just needs to win the golf game between the ears first. I've played Callaway, and I switched to Nike. They are good clubs, trust me, I'm a "golfer".

• Upvote 2

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Originally Posted by 3putter

I find it very interesting that more golfers are still more inclined to think its the arrow, not the Indian. Did Rory not struggle last year, did he not win as well? I play golf, tennis, basketball, soccer, but I have never seen a game where many of its players are more susceptible to marketing gimmicks than golf. It's where you would see a 30 handicapper who believes a new $300 driver will help him drive the ball 280 yards down the fairway, how about you work on your swing first, buddy? Tell a basketball player that a new leather technology on the ball will help him make more jumpers, and you will get laughed out of town.

Good point, I played Tennis for years and never once did I think a new racquet would help me get more first serves in or hit the ball harder. I need to re-evaluate my approach to my golf game.

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

Good point, I played Tennis for years and never once did I think a new racquet would help me get more first serves in or hit the ball harder. I need to re-evaluate my approach to my golf game.

I have arguably the cheapest Driver in golf and I still out drive most of my buddies on average by one yard...it's ridiculous how often we are 1-2 yards away from each other all the time. They play RBZ, R11s, RAZR hawk....I'm not saying these things aren't good or don't have the technology in them, I'm just saying the average weekend golfer isn't good enough to fully use them to their potentials.

Btw, I played yesterday and had my butt handed to me by 2 AARP members. One was playing a set of clubs that are probably close to my age (27)...that old timer played even for the first 4 holes, I was 5 over by that point...lesson of the day: respect your elders.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Originally Posted by 3putter

I have arguably the cheapest Driver in golf and I still out drive most of my buddies on average by one yard...it's ridiculous how often we are 1-2 yards away from each other all the time. They play RBZ, R11s, RAZR hawk....I'm not saying these things aren't good or don't have the technology in them, I'm just saying the average weekend golfer isn't good enough to fully use them to their potentials.

Btw, I played yesterday and had my butt handed to me by 2 AARP members. One was playing a set of clubs that are probably close to my age (27)...that old timer played even for the first 4 holes, I was 5 over by that point...lesson of the day: respect your elders.

I have a driver from 1998 and I love it. I even hit a few of the never drivers yesterday at Golftown and decided to get my old driver re-gripped for the new season because I still prefer it. I think the only difference in distance from my old relic to the new drivers may be when considering mishits.

Rory spent all of the off season jet setting with his tennis girl, and i doubt he swung the Nike clubs aside from the commercial he and Tiger shot. There will not be any lasting impact to his game from the equipment change. If, and i mean if, there is any reason why he wont play as good as he/we know he can play, it's because when he was a titleist guy there wasn't that pressure to win all the time. Now that he signed this huge deal, had a massive unveiling by Nike. There is sooo much more pressure for him to win now than ever before.

We can now see how easy Tiger made wining look when he showed up at events, commentators said he should win, and he did. He was almost robotic in his prime. Only time will tell if Rory will have the same success with the world expecting great things!

Good luck little man!

• Upvote 1

I can't believe people are blaming his missing the cut to his new equipment.. you cant tell me this guy or any or those pro's, that equipment can make them good or bad.. they are that good of players that it won't matter...and I would bet before he switched, that he tried out the clubs, and ask around to people how they hit.

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

Note: This thread is 4064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!