IGNORED

Rory McIllroy and New Nike VR_S Covert driver

petermccarthy
Note: This thread is 4089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will there be an impact on Rory McIlroy's game with the switch to Nike?

• Yes - He won't win in 2013
    • Yes - He'll lose his No. 1 ranking
    • No - There will be no impact

I think Rory will maintain his number 1 ranking, but I also think that it will take a few tournaments to dial in the new gear.  At the level that these guys are playing, with thier swings so precise, the gear does make a difference.  Just like a Stradivarius sounds different than an Amati to a concert violinist.

You can use the most sophisticated forging techniques, and shape the irons very precisely, but ultimately, the guy swinging the club has to feel it and believe it or he's slamming that trunk Friday afternoon.  And the putter has to be right as well.  That Method putter is already in the closet along with his old Titleist sticks!

Occam's razor

Originally Posted by shooter

Rory spent all of the off season jet setting with his tennis girl, and i doubt he swung the Nike clubs aside from the commercial he and Tiger shot.

This.

I saw his tweets.  The last thing on Rory's mind during the off season (from what I saw) was golf.  It was crystal clear he was more interested in Wozniacki than practicing.

Now, here comes the season and Mr. #1 in the world got a rude awakening that he needs to get back on the range!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I think Rory will lose the #1 status, but not solely down to the new clubs, just because there is a lot more expected of him this year, a lot more pressure and even more focus on him. It will be interesting to see how he deals with it all.

So wonder what the impact will be on his game after the equipment switch from Titleist to Nike. Though he mentions the below it must have some effect.  His performance in Abu Dhabi is really not that surprising but how long will it take for him to get back up to speed or is this something that is going to detract from his game permanently.  What thoughts do the forum have?

Going to give the VR_S Covert a go on demo from golf redefined once it comes out next month. I want to try it myself.  It looks like it is giving him extra distance along with the Nike ball.

In that sense, McIlroy has the advantage of seeing a track record with the company. He will play the new Nike VR_S Covert driver, the first cavity-backed driver. He will play the 20XI X golf ball, one that has a firm cover and spins less and which he said in testing allowed him to hit the ball better into the wind.

McIlory said he spent considerable time at Nike's testing facility known as "The Oven'' in Fort Worth, Texas. "It's been a relatively easy process,'' said McIlroy, who had used Titleist products since turning pro in 2009. "I feel like I've transitioned seamlessly from one thing to another. I'm really comfortable with all of the clubs. I'm getting more distance out of the driver and the ball. I'm comfortable with the irons, everything has fallen into place. I'm excited to put the clubs in play.''

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64215/rory-mcillroy-and-new-nike-vr-s-covert-driver

Thanks. Combined a few threads.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

This.

I saw his tweets.  The last thing on Rory's mind during the off season (from what I saw) was golf.  It was crystal clear he was more interested in Wozniacki than practicing.

Now, here comes the season and Mr. #1 in the world got a rude awakening that he needs to get back on the range!

I saw Trackman comment on sending Rory and his swing coach, Michael Bannon a TrackMan IIIe on January 14th.  I'm surprised he just got a Trackman tbh.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I saw Trackman comment on sending Rory and his swing coach, Michael Bannon a TrackMan IIIe on January 14th.  I'm surprised he just got a Trackman tbh.

Really?  I thought he would already have one as well.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Yeah, it is scary to think he could be better once he starts to grasp how to optimize his numbers... And then ingrain those changes into his swing pattern.

Yeah, it is scary to think he could be better once he starts to grasp how to optimize his numbers... And then ingrain those changes into his swing pattern.

Absolutely.  I wonder if he understands the ball flight laws?  My guess would be he does but doesn't....

Deryck Griffith

Maybe he did have one, and is now just getting a newer one?  He's certainly aware of Trackman, and has used it before ... we have a thread on here showing his readout from one such session.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Maybe he did have one, and is now just getting a newer one?  He's certainly aware of Trackman, and has used it before ... we have a thread on here showing his readout from one such session.

The PGA tour has used it to measure these dudes.  Rory being one.  I'm not saying that he has never heard of it, nor been measured on one... But Trackman made a press release about welcoming Rory and his coach to their corner, but taking receipt of the new Trackman IIIe.  The way I read their presser was that he hasn't owned one before.

I am not sure that someone as talented as Rory would benefit from trying to optimize his numbers. Understanding his own swing and what he needs to do and feel for a given shot is a lot more important than trying to recreate a specific set of numbers.

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

I am not sure that someone as talented as Rory would benefit from trying to optimize his numbers. Understanding his own swing and what he needs to do and feel for a given shot is a lot more important than trying to recreate a specific set of numbers.

please realize that understanding the numbers will help him to understand his swing.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

We'll have to agree to disagree then.  Because these guys can get numbers, know the flight from video - and ingrain that feel/swing pattern into shaping that particular shot.  I'm betting you haven't used Trackman? At least in a formal instructional environment - with a top tier coach who has been trained on Trackman?

Originally Posted by colin007

please realize that understanding the numbers will help him to understand his swing.

After all of the golf he has played you are suggesting that Rory does not understand his golf swing? That is quite the suggestion.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.  Because these guys can get numbers, know the flight from video - and ingrain that feel/swing pattern into shaping that particular shot.  I'm betting you haven't used Trackman? At least in a formal instructional environment - with a top tier coach who has been trained on Trackman?

I am ok with disagreeing but to your question, no of course I haven't, there isn't one anywhere near me but I was not talking about me. I can appreciate the science behind the golf swing and what Trackman can do but I am not so quick to replace the feel element of golf especially for someone at the level of Rory.

You can feel a draw, and you can feel that you hit the ball a little too high. But you can't feel the difference between 3000 rpm or spin and 5000.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Quote:
you can feel a draw, and you can feel that you hit the ball a little too high. But you can't feel the difference between 3000 rpm or spin and 5000.

Well it depends really. If you learn the feel, sight, sound of the shots you hit, then you combine that with trackman or other fitting tools, you now got data saying, ok that shot shape and impact feels like this, and that is a couple thousand more RPM. With new technology, its possible to relate feel to numbers now.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!