IGNORED

Recommend me a (first) wedge

fRzzy
Note: This thread is 4084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm getting a wedge, this is my first and it's a gift so money isn't a problem (but no, I'm not going to ask for some $200-$300 wedges)

My irons have PW, AW and SW already and I'm hitting them pretty good, very consistent in distance with ok accuracy from 80-100 yards. Shorter than that, I use the PW or SW. From my chipping lessons, I'm mostly a slider, I dig only and only when I have to, and the sole of the Ws in my irons set didn't help.

Can you please recommend my one wedge that is good for my needs. I'm new and I'm hoping for some forgiveness, too.

Thank you.

What kind of irons to you have?

Do the iron-model wedges work most of the time? If so, you may need a little time to get used to them. Ask your pro if he thinks you need new wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Uhm, since you ask, I don't think I really need a wedge right now, my instructor told me if I'm going to get one I should choose a wedge will lower bounce to help with when I need to open the face to get the leading edge closer to the ground.

But this is a gift so I guess it's not going to hurt to get one now, isn't it? Plus I tried my brother's Taylormade RAC something, the weight make it more stable for me to chip at 20-30 yards distance.

If you already have a PW, AW, and SW with your set and you hit them fairly well then I wouldn't worry about. I also disagree that you need wedges with less bounce. Bounce is good.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by fRzzy

Uhm, since you ask, I don't think I really need a wedge right now, my instructor told me if I'm going to get one I should choose a wedge will lower bounce to help with when I need to open the face to get the leading edge closer to the ground.

Don't do it!  Or, at least before you do, educate yourself by reading this thread:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/57874/my-edel-wedges-or-super-bounce-and-why-its-good-for-you-or-the-sweet-spot-is-finally-in-the-right-place/0_30

Here's an important excerpt (from the OP):

"...We've always taught the short game by teaching people to use the bounce on the club, but the problem is some people have wedges with 6, 4, or even less bounce! They have a hard time using the bounce when they have so little. A proper pitch shot still has forward lean, and with 18° bounce (to throw out a number), even 6° forward shaft lean provides ample bounce.

Instead of providing proper bounce, wedge manufacturers have, by and large, gone with small amounts of bounce but increasingly wider soles. This does help to decrease the club's tendency to dig, but I would argue that it goes about it the wrong way.

What's the problem here? It's simple. Players who play wedges with less bounce will tend to "teach" themselves to play wedge shots poorly. On full swing shots, they'll flip at the ball a little more than they should because they want the club to get out of the ground. Too little bounce and you take big divots that don't feel good at all. On short game shots, they'll either flip more or they'll use the leading edge more, figuring "if the club's going to dig I may as well try to use it." The wedges perform pretty well from the bunker, which is where the wider sole can do some good, but a better grind can still improve even bunker performance (plus most people are just bad out of the bunker, period). "

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

If you have a 56* wedge,  i.e., a Sand Wedge, why are you looking to get another? You may want to get a 60* to 64* degree lob wedge if you are getting a gift. I would ask for your gift to be of the same make and model as your current set.

The sand wedge I'm having is from the Taylormade Burner irons set with graphite shaft, it's light. While it is very suitable for me to make full swings, for 1/2 or 1/4 swing, it is too light, and unstable.

There is this Big Trusty Rusty 55 degrees in my local pro shop used clubs bin, with decent grooves, they were selling it for $60. I tried it at the practice green and it felt ok, I'll ask for it. I'm planning to use it for all partial swings.

Can't go wrong with a Vokey Spin milled 56 degree, go with the 56 - 11 or 56 - 14.  I vote for 14.  I think you will find there is a difference between it and a club that is part of a set.

Originally Posted by inthecup

Can't go wrong with a Vokey Spin milled 56 degree, go with the 56 - 11 or 56 - 14.  I vote for 14.  I think you will find there is a difference between it and a club that is part of a set.

I would agree, especially if the OP is looking for a wedge with some weight to it, the Vokey is one of the heavier wedges I ever hit.

Note: This thread is 4084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!