IGNORED

Suggest a course in Palm Spring or surrounding Area

Note: This thread is 4060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All,

Can anyone suggest a nice 18 hole course in the Palm Springs area, that is some what affordable?

Me and my son are riding in the tour de palm spring with our Boy Scout troop on Feb 9Th and thought we would go a day early to play on Friday the 8Th.

I was looking a Golf Now and they only list 3 courses with a cost of $150 range. I have never had a chance to play there so looking forward to it but $300 +/-  for us both is a bit tough.

Thanks

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

What's your price range?

If you look around you can get plenty of great courses at under $100/player on GolfNow. SilverRock in La Quinta (which use to host the Bob Hope Classic) should run you about $75 each. The courses at the La Quinta Resort (Mountain and Dunes) as well as the public courses at PGA West (Nicklaus, Norman, Stadium) are amazing but you're probably looking at more like $110-$150 at those, and honestly SilverRock is just as good. I know that I've seen Classic Club on GolfNow for $99, but the usually only have one or two times. Eagle Falls out in Indio is a great course and their rate is $95 on weekends. Terra Lago is what I would call my home course and is also pretty nice and you can get some good rates there. There are two courses at the Westin Mission Hills (Gary Player and Pete Dye) that'll run you between $70 and $100 each depending on time of day... both of those are also very nice courses. Encena in Palm Springs is a Nicklaus design that is pretty open and should also be under $100. The two courses at Indian Wells Golf Resort are great but are more around the $150 range. Ditto that for the courses at Desert Willow.

There is a local company here, StandByGolf, that does bookings. You may want to give them a call and see if they can do anything for you.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tristan thank you for all the great information, I was hopping to get under $100 so it looks like you have given me some to look at. Cant wait to play there, just never had that opportunity before or I should say made that opportunity. Should be a great weekend golf on Friday 25 mile ride on Sat cant ask for much more.

Thank you again.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

I love to look at the Palm Springs area on Google Maps.  It is really hilarious how many golf courses there are in such a tiny area.  My wife and I went to the Marriott (Desert Hot Springs) a couple of summers ago, and if I recall correctly, there were Country Clubs or resorts on all four corners of that intersection.  It's unreal.

It is but knowing what ones are better then others it the problem.

Anyone in LA OC area a great weekend if you like to ride is the PS Trour De Palm Springs  from 5 to 100 mile rides, 5th year going but 1st year playing and riding.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Originally Posted by act0fgod

I've read desert dunes is the best bang for buck in the area.

Desert Dunes is a GREAT course and well worth the price. I'm just a bit hesitant to recommend it because Desert Hot Springs (the city where it is located) is WINDY (if you are familiar at all with the area, the course is right by where all the windmills are). If you go on a calm day the course can't be beat, but when it blows (and it blows often) it's pretty bad.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I love to look at the Palm Springs area on Google Maps.  It is really hilarious how many golf courses there are in such a tiny area.  My wife and I went to the Marriott (Desert Hot Springs) a couple of summers ago, and if I recall correctly, there were Country Clubs or resorts on all four corners of that intersection.  It's unreal.

Just so people don't get confused, the Marriott is the Desert Springs Marriott (not Desert Hot Springs). I just say that because Desert Hot Springs is a city in the valley (actually where Desert Dunes is) and it's not very close to where the Marriott is as far as the valley is concerned. There is another Marriott (the Esmerelda) which is in Indian Wells and that's where the Indian Wells Golf Resort is.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Just so people don't get confused, the Marriott is the Desert Springs Marriott (not Desert Hot Springs). I just say that because Desert Hot Springs is a city in the valley (actually where Desert Dunes is) and it's not very close to where the Marriott is as far as the valley is concerned. There is another Marriott (the Esmerelda) which is in Indian Wells and that's where the Indian Wells Golf Resort is.

Oops, sorry!  Thanks for the correction!

Oh yeah, Hacker101, we are in the process of planning a tournament/outing for members in SoCal area for April. You are more than invited to come. Check out the SoCal Golfers group. We all played last month in Fountain Valley (Mile Square Park) and it was a blast. This time around, it's going to be out in the Palm Springs area.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

That is very nice of you to invite, would this be open meaning would my son who is 14 be able to also attend as well as my father in law?

I will check out the group also.

Thanks

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Originally Posted by hacker101

That is very nice of you to invite, would this be open meaning would my son who is 14 be able to also attend as well as my father in law?

I will check out the group also.

Thanks

They are more than welcome. We don't have anything set in stone yet, but were looking at April 6th or 7h.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Thanks i was on your group site, all looks great.

I see a lote of the members have a low to no handycap, hope it will not matter that is not the case with us?

Just love the game and play the best we can.

Also I see that some may want to stay for that weekend I have a great deal for 2 bedroom condos at vista merage $159 plus tax a night.

I have used them every year for my BS to do the tour there, just an option for anyone that I would be more then happy to help with.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Great info on Palm Springs courses.  Do the resorts there have local resident rates?  I'll be moving nearby this summer and see myself taking quite a few day trips there!

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Great info on Palm Springs courses.  Do the resorts there have local resident rates?  I'll be moving nearby this summer and see myself taking quite a few day trips there!

A lot of courses have resident rates out here... For instance, Classic Club has a resident card which costs $25 and then it costs between $45 and $60 to play depending on time of year but you get a $15 voucher for lunch. Terra Lago also has resident rates and also a "players club" program which I have. I pay $30/month for unlimited range and I can play for $15. The catch to that is during the peak season you can't go out until 2pm so it can be a little tough to get 18 in. They also have what I think may be the best deal; for $2100 for the year you get unlimited play on their South Course (and during the summer when the South is closed you can play on the North).

For Palm Desert residents there is a $10 card you can get from the city which lets you play at Desert Willow for $45/round anytime. Ditto for the city of La Quinta and SilverRock, although their card is $25 and rounds range from $35 to $55 depending on time of year. A lot of other courses have "player's club" type deals that aren't too bad either, I just don't know them off the top of my head.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? Did you play this weekend and if so, where?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Not the OP, but I went out and ended up playing Terra Lago South and Mission Hills Dinah Shore on Saturday. Played Terra Lago because I found a good morning tee time for $50. I thought it was well worth it. I am not a fan of the cement irrigation streams, also at silver rock, but still happy with the decision to play there. Interestingly enough I read the greens on the back 9 at Terra Lago were having trouble but I thought they were better than the front. I wonder if they alternate cutting days because on the front the ball didn't run out and died in the last 6 inches.

Note: This thread is 4060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!