Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neophytea

Phil Mickelson paying 62% in taxes??? Mickelson expects to make 'drastic' changes

288 posts in this topic

What is this all about?  Is this true?  Why does the government make more that phil does?

Phil Mickelson talks taxes, 'drastic changes'

Quote:

Phil Mickelson tied for 37th in the Humana Challenge, his 2013 season debut.

LA QUINTA, Calf. — Phil Mickelson started his 2013 PGA Tour season at the Humana Challenge in partnership with the Clinton Foundation with a tie for 37th place. But after a final-round 66, Mickelson did more than hint that the 2014 season may see some big changes for the World Golf Hall of Famer.

"Well, it's been an interesting offseason. And I'm going to have to make some drastic changes," Mickelson said at the Palmer Course at PGA West in La Quinta. "I'm not going to jump the gun and do it right away, but I will be making some drastic changes."

Pressed for details, Mickelson said he couldn't say if the changes will include moving from San Diego.

"I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do yet. I'll probably talk about it more in-depth later this week (The Farmers Insurance Open in San Diego)," he said.

It became clear that part of what Mickelson is concerned about is the tax structure in the state and in the country.

"There are going to be some drastic changes for me because I happen to be in that zone that has been targeted both federally and by the state and it doesn't work for me right now," Mickelson said.

While Mickelson didn't state specifics, increases in federal taxes under the deal to avoid the fiscal cliff in Washington D.C. and the passage of Prop. 30 in California in November to raise money for school funding have all increased taxes on the wealthy class.

"If you add up all the federal and you look at the disability and the unemployment and the Social Security and the state, my tax rate's 62, 63 percent. So I've got to make some decisions on what I'm going to do."

Mickelson said the changes he is thinking about caused him to withdraw from potential minority ownership of the San Diego Padres. And he said he will be more open to questions about his future and cutting back on his schedule this week.

"San Diego is where a lot more things, it's where I live, it's where the Padres thing was a possibility, and it's where my family is," Mickelson said. "And it just seems like a better fit than right here off of 18 on Palm Springs."

Mickelson's quotes from the press conference:

Q. When you're asked about Stricker's semi retirement, with the political situation the last couple months, blah, blah, blah, what did you mean by that? Do you find it an unsettling time in a way?

PHIL MICKELSON : Well, it's been an interesting offseason. And I'm going to have to make some drastic changes. I'm not going to jump the gun and do it right away, but I will be making some drastic changes.

Q. Meaning leaving from California?

PHIL MICKELSON : I'm not sure.

Q. Moving to Canada?

PHIL MICKELSON : I'm not sure what exactly, you know, I'm going to do yet. I'll probably talk about it more in depth next week. I'm not going to jump the gun, but there are going to be some. There are going to be some drastic changes for me because I happen to be in that zone that has been targeted both federally and by the state and, you know, it doesn't work for me right now. So I'm going to have to make some changes.

Q. Is that a correlation between that and what happened to the Padres?

PHIL MICKELSON : Yeah.

Q. With you?

PHIL MICKELSON : Absolutely.

Q. So why do you say next week? What is going to happen so drastic next week?

PHIL MICKELSON : No, but I'll probably be in the media center and I'll probably be a little more open to it because San Diego is where a lot more things, it's where I live, it's where the Padre thing was a possibility, and it's where my family is. And it just seems like a better fit than right here off of 18 on Palm Springs.

Q. Is it a stance that you are taking because on the one hand, you've made a lot of money, and no matter how much they take out, you are left with a lot of money?

PHIL MICKELSON : Yeah. I'll probably go into it more next year or next week. But if you add up, if you add up all the federal and you look at the disability and the unemployment and the Social Security and the state, my tax rate's 62, 63 percent. So I've got to make some decisions on what I'm going to do.

Q. How do you balance that against the TOUR's retirement plan which by all standards is the best retirement plan in sports?

PHIL MICKELSON : I don't understand. What do you mean?

Q. Well, I mean I understand the 60 percent part of the equation, but in the TOUR's plan, you guys put about as much money aside as you want. It's treated differently under tax laws than most anybody else's tax plans. Where most people can only put away $45,000 or $50,000, you guys can put as much away as you want. And so at the end you guys end up with a much larger pot of gold than most people can.

PHIL MICKELSON : But when it comes out, it's still taxed at the same 62 percent rate.

Q. Well, you're still making that kind of money. That's if you're still in that bracket .

PHIL MICKELSON : (No response.)

Bohannan writes for The Desert Sun in Palm Springs, Calif.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by neophytea

What is this all about?  Is this true?  Why does the government make more that phil does?

Because they can. Which is why you might see Mikelson (and other high-income folks) moving his permanent residence to a non-income tax state like Nevada or Florida.  Same as many Europeans sports stars have their official residence in Monaco.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhhh... call me cynical. Phil's made some dunderheaded statements about politics in the past. I think he said something about how some bizarre percentage of Americans work for the government when he was on the air with the Deutsche Bank guy once, or something.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Phil should move to Florida or Texas, anyone making as much as Phil while living in NY or CA is getting killed in taxes and it will only get worse.  The question is why Phil feels the need to discuss this in an interview.  It's a personal issue that can be dealt with after he relocates.

California isn't going to change the tax laws because he's unhappy, and Obama couldn't care less about Phil's tax issues.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The tax rate in CA in the past was 10% and he didn't move. Is moving to 13% really the breaking point? He was willing to lose 100k/million but not 130k/million? If it mattered to him, he should have moved years ago. I know that was #1 reason I left. When I retired and not making as much (i.e. living off principal) I am looking forward to going back. Year round golf in great weather is awesome. You also have to remember that prize winnings are taxable in the state they are won. Winning pebble beach causes you to pay CA no matter where you live. Most endorsements go to state of residence. And yes the tax code is drastically unfair in that a guy like Mitt can pay 13% while a hard working golfer pays more like 52%(they number that other people have come up  for guys making the max rates in CA. I think Phil just added up all the percentages).   The top .01% like it that way though.

As far as it not working for him, he can stop any time he wants.  However it should be pointed out that 38% (use his number) of 60 million is a lot more than 100% of 0. I am not sure about european tax laws but moving to a Tax haven only works for US citizens if you want to renounce citizenship which can get pretty messy.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Because they can. Which is why you might see Mikelson (and other high-income folks) moving his permanent residence to a non-income tax state like Nevada or Florida.  Same as many Europeans sports stars have their official residence in Monaco.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by iacas

Uhhh... call me cynical. Phil's made some dunderheaded statements about politics in the past. I think he said something about how some bizarre percentage of Americans work for the government when he was on the air with the Deutsche Bank guy once, or something.

I remember that interview and he was rather off the wall with his comments but I think he was getting at job growth not actual employment. I hope he was trying to say that 47% of job growth was created by government jobs because if not he might be losing it.

Originally Posted by x129

The tax rate in CA in the past was 10% and he didn't move. Is moving to 13% really the breaking point? He was willing to lose 100k/million but not 130k/million? If it mattered to him, he should have moved years ago. I know that was #1 reason I left. When I retired and not making as much (i.e. living off principal) I am looking forward to going back. Year round golf in great weather is awesome. You also have to remember that prize winnings are taxable in the state they are won. Winning pebble beach causes you to pay CA no matter where you live. Most endorsements go to state of residence. And yes the tax code is drastically unfair in that a guy like Mitt can pay 13% while a hard working golfer pays more like 52%(they number that other people have come up  for guys making the max rates in CA. I think Phil just added up all the percentages).   The top .01% like it that way though.

As far as it not working for him, he can stop any time he wants.  However it should be pointed out that 38% (use his number) of 60 million is a lot more than 100% of 0. I am not sure about european tax laws but moving to a Tax haven only works for US citizens if you want to renounce citizenship which can get pretty messy.

I agree and if it is that big of a deal in terms of what he pays in total taxes he could easily save money by moving to Florida. A lot of pro golfers live in florida and Tiger isn't living there because of the great golf.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's also possible Phil lost some money in a business investment sometime along the line and is hurting more than just with taxes.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

It's also possible Phil lost some money in a business investment sometime along the line and is hurting more than just with taxes.

Well, T-bone steak prices did become so expensive that Waffle House had to stop serving them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes Lefty needs to keep his mouth shut. Yes, he's paying about 7% more in taxes this year but it's going to be hard for the average American to sympathize with someone who made about $45 million last year. If he duplicates this in 2013, at a 63% rate he'll take home over $16 million dollars. He has the right to maximize his take home but is it worth it for him to uproot his family and possibly change his golf plans for 7% of that kind of income?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by iacas

Uhhh... call me cynical. Phil's made some dunderheaded statements about politics in the past. I think he said something about how some bizarre percentage of Americans work for the government when he was on the air with the Deutsche Bank guy once, or something.

Golfers and politics - like most celebrities, they ought to clear what they're going to say with their agent.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MSchott

Sometimes Lefty needs to keep his mouth shut. Yes, he's paying about 7% more in taxes this year but it's going to be hard for the average American to sympathize with someone who made about $45 million last year. If he duplicates this in 2013, at a 63% rate he'll take home over $16 million dollars. He has the right to maximize his take home but is it worth it for him to uproot his family and possibly change his golf plans for 7% of that kind of income?

Where would you draw the line at what amount would be acceptable to make plan changes to maximize income?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Chances are that he will just move his primary residence to a no state income tax state, which saves him quite a bit.  He can then continue to use his current residence as a secondary home if he so chooses.

I think he's actually making decisions just like a lot of other people are that are feeling burdened by their overall tax rate.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't feel sorry for Lefty whatsoever. His accountant probably told him years ago about the tax situation.

So what, he can't upgrade his Cessna this year? I feel very sorry for him.

Besides, the San Diego Padres chronically lose money, so there's a tax write-off for Lefty right there.

Cry me a river.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If maximizing his income improves his quality of life he should do  it. If it doesn't he shouldn't. If having 20 million versus 16 makes his life better in income in 2013, go for it. I think Phils income was actually higher (the article says KPMG alone paid him 44 million. I have seen stats pushing Phil over 60 million) but who knows where the money has gone. He could either have a couple hundred million in the bank or he could be living year to year because of insane spending. Who knows.

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Where would you draw the line at what amount would be acceptable to make plan changes to maximize income?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that Phil makes more money than almost all of us put together on this forum but. I run a small family practice in a small town and I employ 7 people  .  I do not make a half a percent of what Phils makes. so I would imagine that he has at least 10 - 15 full time people working for him , if not more..  He is a business. On top of the 39.6% federal taxes and the over 13% state income tax he does have to pay workers comp insurance premiums, FICA for his employes, retirement and now has to pay additional taxes for Obamacare. I do believe that he pays close to 63% of his income in taxes. The only thing he can control is the amount of state taxes he pays by moving to a low tax state . Also he might reduce his workier comp insurance depending on the state he moved to. So I do not blame him for trying to do something about it. Be realistic, if we were in his shoes wouldn't we do the same. I know this is not the forum for it but why do we punish success in this country?

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by setexmd

I understand that Phil makes more money than almost all of us put together on this forum but. I run a small family practice in a small town and I employ 7 people  .  I do not make a half a percent of what Phils makes. so I would imagine that he has at least 10 - 15 full time people working for him , if not more..  He is a business. On top of the 39.6% federal taxes and the over 13% state income tax he does have to pay workers comp insurance premiums, FICA for his employes, retirement and now has to pay additional taxes for Obamacare. I do believe that he pays close to 63% of his income in taxes. The only thing he can control is the amount of state taxes he pays by moving to a low tax state . Also he might reduce his workier comp insurance depending on the state he moved to. So I do not blame him for trying to do something about it. Be realistic, if we were in his shoes wouldn't we do the same. I know this is not the forum for it but why do we punish success in this country?

I think it was the way he said it that upset people. Given the current economic climate, when many people have a hard time providing for their families or even justifying the price of a ticket to a golf tournament (or other sporting event) the last thing they want to hear is Phil complaining about having to live off 15 million a year instead of 20-30 million.

Phil's success has benefited him for years and I think the fact that he gets to play golf all over the world for millions of dollars is evident that he is not punished for being successful.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • The TST Member tournament play thread....
      Playing in a Mid-Am at one of the local courses in my city next weekend. It'll be my first solo tournament round since my freshman year of high school. My goal is basically to not piss myself on the first tee and make some kind of contact with the ball. 
    • The BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth.
      YE Yang,Willett and Hend on -10,in the lead.   Willett went went out in 29,back in 39. Joost needs a good one today. Good rounds from the 2 Spaniards,Campillo and Cabrera Bello to keep them in contention at -6 and -5 respectively. The back 9 must be playing a lot tougher,Jamie Donaldson had 4 birdies and an eagle on the front nine to pull himself back to level par but then had 2 bogies and 2 doubles to miss the cut on the back 9.  
    • My Swing (PumaAttack)
      Stop saying that! Bingo.  To think that Erik or Mike has it in for you (or anybody else who starts a swing thread on here and gets offended) would mean that you'd have to start under the premise that they have extra time on their hands to spend goofing around and picking on strangers for no reason.  Fact is, if either of them (or, for that matter, about 99.99% of any of the regulars on this site) is posting on a swing thread that is not their own, they are trying to help that person. Remember that throughout the course of the conversation and it should be pretty difficult to draw the conclusions you've drawn. In your case, Tony, you got too defensive and started attacking them.  Despite whether or not you liked what you heard, they were offering (free) advice and they were answering your questions. Take Bill's advice and step back, take a deep breath, and move on.  And stick to one coach to avoid the confusion as well.
    • What would a PGA Tour player shoot at your home course?
      A PGA Tour player's game is optimized to do well on the kinds of courses they play, where conditions are fairly uniform from hole to hole and week to week. Their proximity would not change significantly playing on different greens - it may even suffer slightly if they couldn't adjust well, or if some greens released while others plugged and sucked back. Additionally, as noted, bumpy greens decrease make percentages, so even if they were a foot closer, they might actually take the same or more putts. Same answer as above. Proximity might even suffer due to poorer conditions, failure to adjust, differing conditions hole to hole, etc. I'm not going to guess, and it's off topic anyway. I was just quickly pointing out that scratch doesn't mean they average the course rating. They don't. Only in their 10 best rounds. Of course. But most of a course rating is still the distance. If it's wide open with no rough, no trees, and huge greens, it'll be lower, but not a lot. 67, 66.7, something like that, yeah. But not 61. Not 59. Not 63 very often, either. Studies have shown this to be the case. Players of all ability levels, given time to adjust, putt better on faster, smoother greens than slower (and ostensibly bumpier) greens.
    • My Swing (Jeremie Boop)
      I'm glad you mentioned that, because that reminds me that is how I was hitting those much better impact positions originally earlier this week. I'll combine the feel I'm using for the hand path with the slow start and speeding up of hands on the way down.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. bigtosh90
      bigtosh90
      (26 years old)
    2. dopplegvnger
      dopplegvnger
      (24 years old)
    3. Frank62
      Frank62
      (54 years old)
  • Blog Entries

×