IGNORED

son playing interest

Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First if this is in the wrong place, I apologize and ask kindly for it to be moved to the correct place.

Last season my 8 year old son got interested in golf and wanted to play with me (I just picked it up as well). So we got him a set of clubs and went to the different par 3's around town.

For Christmas his grandma got him some golf lessons and after today's lessons he told me that he didn't like golf and didn't want to play anymore.

Any advice on how I can turn his attention back to golf? His only care right now is playing video games.

Stephen,

Good luck on the videos, I have a 14 year old that play in a clan meaning he is part of a team that plays Xbox online with other clans all over the world, all hours of the night. He has been doing this and video games sense he was about 5 but keeps his grades at straight A's hard to fight that one. He even has two flat screens in his room one is a 48" the other is a 33" so he is as far in with the games as you can go.

But what I found with my many years of cub scouts and now boy scouts you might try this.

Each time you play, come home and talk about how much fun you have had, really play it up. Things like we went for burgers and shakes after,  stuff like that. i found with the boys they hate to think they missed anything. Always ask if he wants to go with you, it may take a few times but it has worked with my son and a few boys in our troop that wanted to or did quit scouts. They soon came back once they heard about all the fun everyone had and they missed I have to say when they came back they have enjoyed scouts even more. I know this is not scouts but I would think it is the same concept. IMO the last thing you want to do is make him go.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by Stephen Newcomb

Any advice on how I can turn his attention back to golf? His only care right now is playing video games.

Hi Stephen.

Maybe golf is not the game for him at this stage. All you can do is encourage him the way hacker101 has suggested but my main concern would be regular exercise of any kind. If he's getting out and running around doing other activities I wouldn't be too concerned and pushing him into an activity you want him to do may just lead to conflict.

If he's not getting general exercise anywhere else you may have to try and restrict video game times if you haven't already. Even though I seem to spend half my time driving them around for sports, I had to make a bit more of a conscience effort to get outside with them at home or they would fall into TV and video game mode the minute they stepped into the house.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sker, there isn't a problem of getting out and running around playing, just no interest in sports. I'm probably doing exact opposite of pushing him, since my dad really pushed me with football. I'll keep inviting him whenever I guy out and if he wants to come just encourage him when he does come. That is unless somebody else comes up with a genius idea.

Try asking him what he didnt like about golf.  You might get an interesting answer.  It could be something as easy to fix just by giving him a shorter course to play,,ie a par 3 course.  Another idea might be to let him bring a friend next time.   That might solve two problems, by him seeing that his friend doesnt hit it all that far either, and just having a friend along might make it more fun along the way.

My grandkids that are that age, get as much fun driving the cart ,,not always possible on most courses.  Hunting for balls is also something they enjoy.  They also tend to get frustrated when they mishit or whiff, especially off the fairway,,so let them use a tee in the fairway.  And make sure to compliment at every opportunity.  Also bring a snack, and plenty of juice,,they tend to get hungry and thirsty.

With my kids, I found that getting them truly interested in golf didnt happen until around age 10.  By then their motor skills had improved along with general strength to the point they could actually get some distance.  I found enrolling them in golf clinics was also helpful, being around other kids their age, tended to bring out their competitive spirit, plus hanging around with their friends seemed to help as well.

Originally Posted by Stephen Newcomb

Sker, there isn't a problem of getting out and running around playing, just no interest in sports.

IMO, that's the major concern out the way. If you're also worried about the amount of time he's playing video games are there are other art/craft based activities that he finds interesting that you can encourage him toward?

Originally Posted by RFetters

Another idea might be to let him bring a friend next time.   That might solve two problems, by him seeing that his friend doesnt hit it all that far either, and just having a friend along might make it more fun along the way.

Originally Posted by Stephen Newcomb  I'll keep inviting him whenever I guy out and if he wants to come just encourage him when he does come. That is unless somebody else comes up with a genius idea.

I like the idea of combining the above two. Children are very influenced by their friends activities. Maybe you can pick out one of them who you know has a little more interest in sport to be the one who comes along.

If he really isn't interested in any sports there may be little you can do at this stage apart from what you are already doing, and if he does show interest that may be the time for a bit of a stronger push.

Hopefully your gentle persuasion will do the trick but it may just take a bit of time.

All great advise here, will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

I lke the idea of getting a freind interest also, just wait until the girls come a long my is now at the range twice a week because some girl from a near by school is there taking lession and she thinks he hits the ball so great......golf is a great sport!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

This is definitely an interesting question--how do you make someone like something?  It's less of a golf question than a psychology question, in my opinion.

I like Hacker101's suggestion.  However, be prepared for it to do nothing.

When I was a kid, there wasn't anything you could do to convince me that my parents were cool.  So if they had fun doing something, it was not a cool thing.  You could try to associate golf with something he likes somehow.

Effington,

I totaly agree that it could turn out to not do a thing, I can say growing we did everything my dad wanted to to until he left. Now I am involved with everything my son wants to do just because I know how fast it goes buy. Dad first freind second even if you are playing video games have fun the more time invested with him the better off you both will be.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

The thing that kills me is he has such a pretty swing. He just turned 9 and can consistently hit all his clubs straight and his distance range from 35-40 yds for his wedge to 100-110 for his driver. But I'm a patient man, I've already waited 8 years for him to show interest in a sport, I can wait a while longer.

Just remember he is not you, I played BB up to High school and surfed, skated and skied most of my life,  grew up in San Diego. He was not interested in any of it my son is a complete brain like his mom nothing like me. We have done scouts since 1st grade it has been a great adventure. I showed him golf a few years back but it was not until 6 months ago he asked me to start it back up now we play every weekend. Just find that common ground you both will be more happy and content. Good luck.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

so quick update. grandpa took up to a par 3 and he had a blast. Especially because he was consistently hitting the ball straighter than me and his grandpa. Will still offer when I go out just because it's finally a sport he has shown interest in,  but will still do whatever he wants to do just to spend time with him.

Thanks for the the different types of advice.

Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!