• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SCfanatic35

Sprinklers

12 posts in this topic

It is my understanding that you can take relief from sprinklers if your stance or your swing is interfered with by the sprinkler.

I play with people who take it a step further, which I disagree with. They give themselves a free drop when they are near the green if there is a sprinkler in their intended putting path, even though their swing or stance is no way affected by it.  I tell them they need to hit a chip over it or risk the chance of putting it.  Someone educate me on this please.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

My argument to them is that if you can get relief because it is in your way, then why not move your ball because a sprinkler box is in your way or a cart path or anything else that is your way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

It is my understanding that you can take relief from sprinklers if your stance or your swing is interfered with by the sprinkler.

I play with people who take it a step further, which I disagree with. They give themselves a free drop when they are near the green if there is a sprinkler in their intended putting path, even though their swing or stance is no way affected by it.  I tell them they need to hit a chip over it or risk the chance of putting it.  Someone educate me on this please.

Normally you are correct.  However it is possible for the COmmittee to adopt and USGA approved Local Rule that WOULD give line of play relief under certain conditions.  here is the USGA sample Local Rule:

6. Immovable Obstructions Close to Putting Green

Rule 24-2 provides relief, without penalty, from interference by an immovable obstruction, but it also provides that, except on the putting green, intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.

However, on some courses, the aprons of the putting greens are so closely mown that players may wish to putt from just off the green. In such conditions, immovable obstructions on the apron may interfere with the proper playing of the game and the introduction of the following Local Rule providing additional relief, without penalty, from intervention by an immovable obstruction would be warranted:

“Relief from interference by an immovable obstruction may be taken under Rule 24-2.

In addition, if a ball lies through the green and an immovable obstruction on or within two club-lengths of the putting green and within two club-lengths of the ball intervenes on the line of play between the ball and the hole, the player may take relief as follows:

The ball must be lifted and dropped at the nearest point to where the ball lay that (a) is not nearer the hole, (b) avoids intervention and (c) is not in a hazard or on a putting green.

If the player’s ball lies on the putting green and an immovable obstruction within two club-lengths of the putting green intervenes on his line of putt, the player may take relief as follows:

The ball must be lifted and placed at the nearest point to where the ball lay that (a) is not nearer the hole, (b) avoids intervention and (c) is not in a hazard.

The ball may be cleaned when lifted.

Exception: A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if interference by anything other than the immovable obstruction makes the stroke clearly impracticable.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by turtleback

Normally you are correct.  However it is possible for the COmmittee to adopt and USGA approved Local Rule that WOULD give line of play relief under certain conditions.  here is the USGA sample Local Rule:

How would I know the local rule? Is that posted on the scorecard or would I have to ask someone?  Because I see people at my country club doing that and also taking relief from fences. I'm not sure if they are doing this legally or if it's just been the way they have always played.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be on the scorecard, on a notice in the pro shop or locker room or preferably all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Rulesman

It should be on the scorecard, on a notice in the pro shop or locker room or preferably all.

Thanks rulesman, I found it on the card.  So I have another question in relation to local rules that I don't see on the card.  There are fences around the perimeter of my course, and also some fences inside the course boundaries surrounding water tanks.  If the scorecard makes no mention of those in regards to getting relief, does that mean you have to play it as it lies, or are those considered immovable obstructions?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rulesman

It should be on the scorecard, on a notice in the pro shop or locker room or preferably all.

Thanks rulesman, I found it on the card.  So I have another question in relation to local rules that I don't see on the card.  There are fences around the perimeter of my course, and also some fences inside the course boundaries surrounding water tanks.  If the scorecard makes no mention of those in regards to getting relief, does that mean you have to play it as it lies, or are those considered immovable obstructions?

Those within the boundaries of the course are immovable obstructions.  If they are on the perimeter, then they are probably boundary fences, and if so they are not obstructions, and no relief is allowed.  Those around the water tanks should be obstructions unless otherwise declared by the course or committee.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sprinkler head must physically interfere with stance or swing.  If it's in your line, tough cookies.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Thanks rulesman, I found it on the card.  So I have another question in relation to local rules that I don't see on the card.  There are fences around the perimeter of my course, and also some fences inside the course boundaries surrounding water tanks.  If the scorecard makes no mention of those in regards to getting relief, does that mean you have to play it as it lies, or are those considered immovable obstructions?

Apologies. My post above was only relating to the fence around the water tanks.

Any fence denoting out of bounds is not an Immovable Obstruction and free relief is not available.

From the Definition of Out of Bounds

Objects defining out of bounds such as walls, fences, stakes and railings are not obstructions and are deemed to be fixed. Stakes identifying out of bounds are not obstructions and are deemed to be fixed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by stangmark

The sprinkler head must physically interfere with stance or swing.  If it's in your line, tough cookies.

Providing there isn't a Local Rule as mentioned above.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a local rule regarding the sprinklers I found out. If the sprinkler is within 2 club lengths of the green and if your ball is within 2 club lengths of the sprinkler and in the intended path you get relief.  Thanks for all of the help guys it's eased my mind about these, especially since we are playing for money and weren't sure if guys were bending the rules.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0