IGNORED

Getting custom fit vs. going to a big box store(high handicapper)

Note: This thread is 4108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking to upgrade my irons. Price is not an issue, but if I can save money that would be better. Have been playing for about 8-9 years and just got series about golf in the last 2. I shoot about an average of 100. Mainly due to putting and short game. Pretty confident in my iron game. People say my swing looks good. Have been reading a lot about getting custom fit clubs.

Is it worth it for someone at my level to pay a clubfitter around $100-150 to get fitted or is it better I go to a store like PGA superstore use their fit system and not pay to get fitted?

Also I live in Atlanta so any recommendations for Metro Atlanta(OTP or ITP) would be great.

Thanks for any help

if you're shooting around 100, i think you'll find being fitted (i.e. correct shafts, correct grips, lie angle, for your swing) will provide significant improvements. since money isn't an issue, this is the route i'd take.

that said, if you take lessons and make some swing changes in an effort to improve, it may nullify some of the positive effects of being fitted in the first place.

there are many better (and smarter) golfers than me on the board, so i'm curious to hear their thoughts too.

IF you've suddenly got the golf bug, you might combine lessons with fittings. That's what I did this spring: Final verdict was keep the irons and driver, and replace the FWs and introduce a hybrid.

Or, you could focus on a fitting. If you're buying new irons and clubs, the fitting should be free.

At the very least, get a basic static fitting with your current clubs. Make sure the lie angle and shaft length is OK, and the grips are the correct thickness.

Also, don't be afraid to take a short-game lesson. A majority of our shots are inside 100 yard. Make sure you have a putter that fits your stroke and preferences.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd think that if he's shooting around a 100 - and general comments that his swing "looks" good, and the 'comfort' thing.  It's all pretty vague and touchy feely.  A professional assessment and then some additional help up front seems wise.

So a few lessons first, get a swing that makes sense that doesn't require a lot of 'fixing'.

Once he has that, then go get fitted.  How can you get fitted without a swing to fit to?  (I'm not talking about grips the right diameter, and the length of the clubs fit to your general body size - I mean the right clubs for your swing).

I really wish I had done it in that order.  I got lucky on the clubs I'm hitting, but it could have gone either way.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the input. One of my concerns was if I did take lessons would the fitting be nullified. Think I will take some lessons and then get fitted.

I talked to GolfTEC and they offer the lessons and fitting, Both having their own prices. Fitting price does not go toward the purchase. I felt like I was talking to someone who was being too much of a salesperson to get me into their program. Have any of yall heard or have experienced results from this place? And is their fitting program worth the money after I take a few lessons with them?

Also when I do go for a fitting. Is it better to go to a fitter that I have to pay for? ie. http://www.golfdoctor.com/ or GolfTEC they are both located near me.  Everyone I talked to so far has a fitting fee plus the cost of the clubs. The only other place I talked to was PGA superstore. They fit the clubs for no price, but I feel like its the luck of the draw on who I get for a salesperson over there.

Originally Posted by Terrapingolfer

Thanks for the input. One of my concerns was if I did take lessons would the fitting be nullified. Think I will take some lessons and then get fitted.

I talked to GolfTEC and they offer the lessons and fitting, Both having their own prices. Fitting price does not go toward the purchase. I felt like I was talking to someone who was being too much of a salesperson to get me into their program. Have any of yall heard or have experienced results from this place? And is their fitting program worth the money after I take a few lessons with them?

Also when I do go for a fitting. Is it better to go to a fitter that I have to pay for? ie. http://www.golfdoctor.com/ or GolfTEC they are both located near me.  Everyone I talked to so far has a fitting fee plus the cost of the clubs. The only other place I talked to was PGA superstore. They fit the clubs for no price, but I feel like its the luck of the draw on who I get for a salesperson over there.

back in 2008, i contacted a local driving range and explained that i was interested in purchasing new irons, and wanted to be fitted for them. went down a couple of days later and met with their club-fitter/pro. he watched me hit balls for about 30 minutes, and put me on the launch monitor. had me hit a few different clubs (brands) with various shafts and grips. we talked about my expectations and experience - e.g. how long have you been playing, how many times do you plan on playing per year, how much do you want to spend, etc.

i decided to focus on hybrids to replace the long irons, and got 5i-PW KZG Evolution midsize, with Areotech SteelFiber i80 shafts. when i went to pick them up, i went back to the range with the pro and he watched me hit balls to make sure the flight was correct and that they were what i was comfortable with.  granted, it was not a lesson per-se (he offered a couple of tips) but it was nice to have the clubfitter/pro take care of everything in-house. fitting was included in the price of the clubs.

I'm might get flack for this, but I think fitting is a bit oversold here on TST, esp if you are within one standard deviation of average as far as body size.

dak4n6

I think people also need to identify that there are alot of different types of fittings.

A basic static fitting (total height, wrist to floor, glove size) is probably the most basic

Next up would be adding in a lie fitting to that equation (simply hitting stock clubs off of a lie board) and club head speed.

This next step beyond that is going to be getting some measurements (via a trackman, Mizuno's shaft fit thingy, Ping's software, etc.) that will attempt to analyze characteristics of your swing (release, etc) and identify your ideal shaft.

The best fitting option is going to be on a real driving range (with traditional flight golf balls) that you have an experienced professional monitor your ball flight and distance, and combining that with a person's extensive experience selecting a shaft and head and assembling those together to let you hit it.

In my experience (VERY VERY limited) the first 3 levels are generally included in the price of clubs.  The last level which usually involves quite a bit of time is in most cases more expensive.

As for the validity of it, I personally believe that if "It's not the arrow, it's the indian"  Often times the best money you can spend on improving your golf game is lessons and practice.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I just went through similar thoughts as you, and I got a fitting at golfsmith $50 or free if you buy the clubs there and clubs had a 30 day guarantee if I didn't like them I could return them for another set or store credit which I thought was huge. They took my 6- iron and told me using a machine what flex It was compared to what flex I needed. I've always bought clubs off the shelf I am 6' tall and when I got fitted after measurements, swinging the club, ball flight, etc they used a graph to figure what flex I needed to help me hit the most consistent yardages and trajectory, flight... I can honestly say I've been hitting my irons better than I've ever hit them and have been hitting my yardages more consistently. Despit bad reviews I had a great fitting experience, in hind site I would've gotten my entire bag fitted at once if money was no object, but the free fitting I got was well worth it. Also got fitted for a driver last year and gained about 20 yards. As far as a lesson, yes it could effect what they fit you for so if you're going to change your swing, I'd say wait, if its just a lesson for your short game, go get fitted you won't regret it.

I have mixed feelings on being fitted. I am very tall and have an upright swing, so knew I would require nonstandard clubs and really wanted to get fitted properly. I did the Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, PING webfit, and custom fitter route. In the end, the custom fitter fitted me at exactly the same specs as PINGs online webfit. I would say start there. The retailers were close, but not quite the same. I personally don't think it's that hard to screw up, and if you are a high handicapper, a slight screw up is not going to make much of a difference at all. Especially considering most people are very close to standard anyway.

I too was fit at Golfsmith a number of years ago when I purchased my Pings, typical static fitting, then hitting a strike board for the lie (blue dot), and on a launch monitor for the what shaft would work best. Took about an hour, they were very professional and I feel I got good service. I've used these clubs now for years. I recently asked my instructor what he thought about my clubs and he said they were fine and repeated the same addage a stated above,"it is the indian, not the arrow". Bottom line, IMO, buy your clubs where you will get a good fitting for free. I would not just go to a store and pick a set off the rack based upon their looks.

My fitting consisted of walking into a Golfsmith, a lady said may I help you and I said I was looking for clubs, relative beginner.  She went and got about 4 different brands of 7 irons and I hit them each about 10 times.  She said I hit the Cobra Max 3's best so I left the store with a set of those.

No idea about club length or lie or shafts or anything.

We went to same routine with drivers and surprise surprise, I hit the matching Cobra driver "the best" according to her in the little room.  So I bought that one.  Cant believe the lie angle is correct as the toe points to the sky at address.  Always hit the heel or hosel.

Does this make sense to anyone??

Originally Posted by turbosdad

My fitting consisted of walking into a Golfsmith, a lady said may I help you and I said I was looking for clubs, relative beginner.  She went and got about 4 different brands of 7 irons and I hit them each about 10 times.  She said I hit the Cobra Max 3's best so I left the store with a set of those.

We went to same routine with drivers and surprise surprise, I hit the matching Cobra driver "the best" according to her in the little room.  So I bought that one.  Cant believe the lie angle is correct as the toe points to the sky at address.  Always hit the heel or hosel.

insomuch as the woman who helped you really wanted to sell Cobra Max 3s.

but seriously, that's kind of an odd coincidence. the big question: how are you hitting them on the course?

Sounds like you got screwed, not the way you would have liked lol. Jk when I got fitted there was actually a golf pro who did it and entered all my info into the computer and there was a device that was placed on the shaft as I swung a 6-iron which took into account club head speed, tempo, and some other scientific measure. Just as in any other chain type store you have to do a little legwork. I guess I got lucky with my fitting as I said, I love my new clubs and am hitting them much better than ever before, I'm hoping to shave at least 5 or 6 strokes off my score this season. With straighter ball flight now that I have the proper flex I'm hoping to be hitting a lot more gir's.

Originally Posted by turbosdad

i seriously doubt those clubs are right for you then...lie, length and shaft are exactly what a fitting is for.  all that lady did was just sell you cobra's, she didn't fit you for them at all.

most people learn to compensate poorly fit clubs by changing their swing, which isn't necessarily healthy.  you should get a lie board and see how the lie angle is at least.  you could probably put some masking tape on your club and walk into a golfsmith and just ask them if you could use the lie board and they probably would let you do it for free.  truth is you could probably get your clubs bent to the right lie angle for cheap, and golfsmith could do that for you too.

but hey, probably 30% of golfers buy random used clubs from ebay/CL without a proper fitting, 40% probably do just what you did and just walk into a store and buy some random clubs, 20% probably get fit in the retail stores first, and the remaining 10% probably use some type of "custom" fitter.  so don't feel too cheated.

Note: This thread is 4108 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!