IGNORED

High loft driver

Gofas
Note: This thread is 3876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many of you use a driver with more than 10.5 degree head? I'm curious cause I've been on the launch monitor at golfsmith and both times they suggest 10.5 regular flex. Now I just got back home and was thinking back on my Rbz 15degree purchase which gives me 230-250 drives. The Rbz replaced my 13degree fairway wood which I hit 210-230. obviously more loft is helping me out. So why not try the same with driver.presently I'm hitting 10.5 degree regular flex 230-250, some 260's same as three wood. My average 3 wood is out driving my driver distance. So makes me think I should try higher loft in driver. Anyone have experience getting longer with high loft driver? Oh btw my swing speed is 88.

Taylormade tour burner irons

Tour burner driver 10.5

Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15

Ray Cook M1x putter

Ray Cook 56 wedge

Bridgestone e6 golfball

footjoy Glove

I believe Bobby Clampett recommends more loft on a driver because he still advocates hitting down on the driver. I guess it depends on your philosophy, if you want to hit up on the driver you want less than 10* of loft but if your hitting down you might want more loft to balance everything out. YMMV.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to have an 11 degree Callaway Driver.  Just switched to the Taylormade RBZ 10.5 Driver.  I also switched from regular to stiff flex in the shaft.  The 10.5 gets a lot more roll than my 11 did. I didn't think .5 degrees would do that much. It could be something else in the clubs construction that is causing that too. The 10.5 has better trajectory too.

Years ago I played with an 11.5* Cobra but have since gone to a 10.5* after I got my swing straightened out. I get much better ball flight and distance with the 10.5* but that may also have to do with a better swing.

I play with an adjustable 10.5 degree - when I am struggling, I will turn it up to 11.25 or 12 for a week or 2

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Anyone using HT driver? I think I'll find an old used one to try it out just to see how they make a ball fly. I'm not used to the Indoor range net set-up as of yet. Would like to have one at the range or on the course to see how I would do with more loft. Would be nice to swing down like all my other clubs. Or stand head jus behind the ball and not leaning back so far to catch on upswing. I noticed pros have hardly any loft and this cause of the massive club head speeds from what I gather. I started running every day and working out to see if these things will add speed in my swing And along with improving technique. Until then I want to try more loft like my 3 wood and what it did for my fairway distance.

Tour burner driver 10.5

Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15

Ray Cook M1x putter

Ray Cook 56 wedge

Bridgestone e6 golfball

footjoy Glove

I used to have a Mizuno MX-560 12*.  It was a great driver.  I didnt get a ton of rollout but it was a very forgiving and easy to hit driver.  I personally wouldnt recommend that anyone try to hit down with their driver.  Its a good way to start hitting pop-ups.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by Gofas

Anyone using HT driver?

I noticed pros have hardly any loft and this cause of the massive club head speeds from what I gather. I started running every day and working out to see if these things will add speed in my swing And along with improving technique.

Until then I want to try more loft like my 3 wood and what it did for my fairway distance.

Not really true anymore.  Some of the longest hitters on tour are using 10.5 degree drivers with high swing speeds.  I've noticed a reverse in that Low Lofted Driver trend from a few years ago.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I used to have a Mizuno MX-560 12*.  It was a great driver.  I didnt get a ton of rollout but it was a very forgiving and easy to hit driver.  I personally wouldnt recommend that anyone try to hit down with their driver.  Its a good way to start hitting pop-ups.

And this is exactly why my handicap has started to shoot up.  I got into hitting down on the driver, it caused me tons of problems, but I getting it out of my swing has been very difficult.

I switched from a 10.5 Titleist 910D2 to a 12.  I got more carry.  I was tending to hit the driver a little lower than I wanted with the 10.5 and had it set up to the max loft.  I went with the 12 and I can lower loft a little if I need to.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks for the replies on this topic. Ah, adjustability sounds very cool. I'll see if they have any High loft drivers that I can try on the launch monitor. This time I'll get some numbers from the monitor. Also take my present driver 10.5 burner for comparison.

Tour burner driver 10.5

Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15

Ray Cook M1x putter

Ray Cook 56 wedge

Bridgestone e6 golfball

footjoy Glove

My Swingspeed is about the same or a tad higher - I use an Adams 12.5 9088 UL driver in R flex. It gets the ball up, you get some spin, which for lower speed guys is good. Launch is about 17 degrees, which is good. Pair it with the right shaft and you should get more carry and roll.

I'd suggest you try the RBZ Stage 2 that is coming out since you have an RBZ, or even better - the Adams Super S and adjust it to 11.5. I think the slots will give you added ballspeed on off center hits and the club is very aerodynamic - I'm going Adams ... again.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Friday the loft adjustment style Rbz stage 2 comes out and im going to pick it up. 2nd new club ever purchased. the 1st was the rbz 3.

Today was warm and got to play and had only 1 penalty of the T box and recorded some drives between 220-275.( i for sure hit more fairways with what seems to be slow speed swing)

So it looks like my swing varies greatly and noticed I have some good roll out which got me closer to the green. Would be neat however to have more carry that stops for placement in certain situations.

So driver technique is still being refined so the adjustable sounds great. So ill be able to try high loft and will get the launch numbers using 10.5 and 12 at Golfsmith.

Sticking with regular flex cause I know my average swing speed is mid 90's at it's most. 88 seems to be average of all swings. Ive been fitted before with stiff and it always seems like work to me. had the older speedline stiff flex and sold it and went back with my regular flex 60gram tour burner from 08.

3 drivers in one sounds great with latest technology to boot.

Tour burner driver 10.5

Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15

Ray Cook M1x putter

Ray Cook 56 wedge

Bridgestone e6 golfball

footjoy Glove

I just purchased a new driver today, it's being re-assembled for me and should be ready for me tomorrow.  12* Ping G20, TFC R Flex, 44" long, D3 swingweight.  This was an absolutely deadly combination for me compared to everything else I hit regardless of loft or brand.  I've been struggling with driver lately, and the additional loft seems to help take a lot of sidespin out for me.  I also wanted to get away from adjustable drivers.  I tend to get too caught up in the adjustments and turn into a tinkerer instead of working on what's really important.

Originally Posted by Gofas

I noticed pros have hardly any loft and this cause of the massive club head speeds from what I gather. I started running every day and working out to see if these things will add speed in my swing ...

Pro driver loft depends in part on whether the player launches the ball or drives the ball (low takeoff).

Also, it depends on what a player wants from his driver. Lee Westwood, for example, carried an 11* driver so he can shape the ball better. He also carries a 15.5* 3W.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/whats-in-my-bag/2010-03/lee-westwood-my-golfbag

One teaching pro told me that some excellent players with a very level attack angle have truble with low-loft 3Ws. Such players try 17* 4Ws to help get their FWs airborne from off the turf.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Well to my surprise I walked out with a Ping 10.5 loft. I tried Several adjustable drivers and different lofts however my launch numbers where all over the place nothing the same per club demo speeds and distance had not any significant changes. Then the kid handed me the G20 and said Give this one a try and so I did. I hit it with great accuracy and a better ball speed of 90ish or so I picked up some speed with g20 10.5 and Tried the 12 degree and really went high no real gain, just neat flights. Tried regular and stiff. Went with regular shaft. The golfsmith kid said with my set up I was adding enough loft with the club. 10.5 was looking good. So went on To play a round and was so relieved to have a driver that was working well for me. Straight fade or draw. Descent distance no real great yardage increase. Just longer on average. With this driver g20 I have best consistency letting it fly! The sound of the swoosh and the sound it makes on contact makes Me a happy golfer:) Now im reading about the g20 driver and the reviews on the net and agree with what others are saying about this driver. Im consistent with it and feel my hands turning over through right after impact. This all was a surprise but will still study more on the use of club loft and fitment. The club feels short when swinging. They did not have this club that would adjust. I quickly forgot about having that option of adjustablity after hitting this particular club. Still want to hear about club lofts people are using and pairings with shafts.

Tour burner driver 10.5

Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15

Ray Cook M1x putter

Ray Cook 56 wedge

Bridgestone e6 golfball

footjoy Glove

Ping is known for consistently "understating" their lofts, so that 10.5 is quite likely somewhere around 12 degrees. G20 is a great club -- hope it works out for you.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I played a G10 for two years, just a solid driver, pings are pretty much blue collar, get the job done type of drivers, no fuss, just a solid club, pretty much good across the board.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!