IGNORED

Phil's hinge and hold vs pelz short game bible

Note: This thread is 4077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm about 3/4 of the way through pelz short game bible, and I like his 3x4 system and his ideas. Just bought Phil's videos haven't got them yet but watched a few teaser clips and it confuses me as to why he plays the ball in the front of his stance which encourages skulked shots does it not? Also has anyone read book and watched videos would you share with me any helpful hints? It seems that with the ball in front of center it is more like a mini pitch shot whereas a mini chip would be either center or off back foot?

You can incorporate both into your game.

Phil's stance is narrow, so it's tough to state the location of the ball. I think it is in the middle of the stance, but either way, I had no problems with Phil's method - no skulling. You need your weight on the front foot throughout the swing, and slide and pivot the hips. But don't let your head or shoulders go backwards - tuck your butt as you slide and pivot.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also saw in a couple of clips Phil changes where the swing bottoms out by moving his weight to front foot or equally on both feet while in the center. Is this referring to rough shots only, and on tight lies, do you find it easier hitting shots more upright with the toe more so than a square club face? Hope that didn't veer off topic too much

He changes where it bottoms out depending on the situation. Certain bunker shots he likes weight balanced, most weight forward. And it seems more consistent off of a square club face than trying to toe it

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by golfjunky0331

I also saw in a couple of clips Phil changes where the swing bottoms out by moving his weight to front foot or equally on both feet while in the center. Is this referring to rough shots only, and on tight lies, do you find it easier hitting shots more upright with the toe more so than a square club face? Hope that didn't veer off topic too much

Depends on what you're trying to do with the ball.

If I remember, in the rough, if your weight is front, the club will mostly pass under the ball. He also has the shot where you contact the ground with the bounce - taking the energy out of the shot...

He seems to like to open the face and then open the stance while the clubface closes until the clubface is aimed at the target

Keep on watching the video...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yeah I'm anxious to get the videos which I paid $20 eBay... Gd deal from clips I've seen so far. One more question off a fairway gd lie or real short grass it's been said if you open the face a little it is easier to hit the ball, what is the logic there. Are you taking the bounce out by encouraging the leading edge to strike under the ball, Is he using the bounce when the club is square as opposed to being open?

Yeah I'm anxious to get the videos which I paid $20 eBay... Gd deal from clips I've seen so far.

One more question off a fairway gd lie or real short grass it's been said if you open the face a little it is easier to hit the ball, what is the logic there. Are you taking the bounce out by encouraging the leading edge to strike under the ball, Is he using the bounce when the club is square as opposed to being open?

I'm about 3/4 of the way through pelz short game bible, and I like his 3x4 system and his ideas. Just bought Phil's videos haven't got them yet but watched a few teaser clips and it confuses me as to why he plays the ball in the front of his stance which encourages skulked shots does it not? Also has anyone read book and watched videos would you share with me any helpful hints?

It seems that with the ball in front of center it is more like a mini pitch shot whereas a mini chip would be either center or off back foot?

Idk about Pelz book yet but I feel Phil's videos are the best you can get. The ball is in the front of your stance but your feet are close and slight open. You will skull if you flip at all. The premise of hinge and hold is keeping your hands considerably in front of the ball. If you watch his videos you will get all the tips you need and do not need to worry about the "bounce". He covers a multitude of lies and conditions that require alterations in ball placement.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Yeah I'm anxious to get the videos which I paid $20 eBay... Gd deal from clips I've seen so far.

One more question off a fairway gd lie or real short grass it's been said if you open the face a little it is easier to hit the ball, what is the logic there. Are you taking the bounce out by encouraging the leading edge to strike under the ball, Is he using the bounce when the club is square as opposed to being open?

With the square face, you're using the designed bounce. When one opens the face and leaves it open, you are typically adding bounce unless the designer has designed the sole with heel, toe, or trailing edge relief, or a combo of such.

So off of a tight lie they recommend using the toe of the club is this in effect taking the bounce out of the equation and using the loft of the club face?

Are you talking Pelz?

That book is so old.

I hit wedges off very tight, drought lies with a square face. You need the right wedge for your swing. Look at Utley - he uses 12 deg of bounce off a sidewalk.

Ok, I'm not sure how but I was hitting a 56* sw and lw 60* Off concrete pad just to try it center of stance open With a slight wrist hinge and accelerated follow through. Question is, is it the bounce hitting the concrete and than The ball or is it the ball is sliding up the grooves of the face Of the wedge, or a little of both. And as far as ball position Pelz plays most everything from center of stance even flops And bump and runs, Phil seems more centered or front of stance Just from what I can see on his clips.

Ok, I'm not sure how but I was hitting a 56* sw and lw 60*

Off concrete pad just to try it center of stance open

With a slight wrist hinge and accelerated follow through.

Question is, is it the bounce hitting the concrete and than

The ball or is it the ball is sliding up the grooves of the face

Of the wedge, or a little of both. And as far as ball position

Pelz plays most everything from center of stance even flops

And bump and runs, Phil seems more centered or front of stance

Just from what I can see on his clips.

Well, I don't advocate hitting off cement or practicing the technique off mats.

All of that depends on what you're trying to do as to hitting the ground, sliding the club, and then hitting ball; or hitting ball and ground simultaneously.

Wait for your Phil DVD's.

Patience, grasshopper.

Pelz has some good technique for troubled spots - and if you want to use his 3 swings with one club approach, fine.

Me. Desmond, Your response makes me laugh, yes I do need to be patient But it's so hard when you're excited knowing the short game Is most of my shots wasted from 50 yards and if i can improve that i will be so much better. Info is so Different on chipping and pitching between peltz, utley, and phil. But I will start with Phil's ideas and just Use the bump and run info as well as the 3x4 technique from Peltz's sgb. I do have utleys book coming too, I figure if I read the 2 books and watch the videos I will be able to use something from each. So much info so little time, very frustrating but that's golf!!!!

Me. Desmond,

Your response makes me laugh, yes I do need to be patient

But it's so hard when you're excited knowing the short game

Is most of my shots wasted from 50 yards and if i can improve that

i will be so much better. Info is so Different on chipping and pitching

between peltz, utley, and phil. But I will start with Phil's ideas and just

Use the bump and run info as well as the 3x4 technique from

Peltz's sgb. I do have utleys book coming too, I figure if I read the

2 books and watch the videos I will be able to use something from each.

So much info so little time, very frustrating but that's golf!!!!

Utley has some good vids on youtube.

I use Utley and some Phil

From Phil's video, his swing key for chipping is to "keep the hands moving toward the target" (hinge hold, etc).  This helps for good contact and to insure your hands are ahead of the ball at contact.  Phil uses ball position in his video to vary the height the ball will come off the club face.  Back=lower trajectory, forward=higher.  I use this somewhat but use more of the Utley technique.

Practicing of grass is best, but you can use mats in the winter into a net.  Try to vary the trajectory with ball position but also work on direction.  Put a vertical line on the net and try to hit the line at different heights.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have utleys short game book coming as well

But was curious is the diff that utley only pivots

With no hinge and hold? Or a slight hinge and hold?

Think of Utley as a mini-golf swing.

ON youtube, he has a clinic where he talks about, essentially asks you to free up your wrists - depending on the shot that is required.

So, yeah, you could have a slight hinge and hold through the shot (but the club going around you like a golf swing), or you could hinge more, or if the shot requires it, you can let the clubhead pass the wrists.

But the basic seems to be a mini-swing around a center pivot.

I think you are hung on on labels - you need to do what the shot requires, but have a sound basis for your swing.

No, I'm not hung up on labels but they do seem to help. The way I understand it, the peltz off the back foot dead hands technique works well for a short chip. The Phil style with a "hinge and hold" is great for a chip with higher ball flight and when you need a sharper angle into the ball, and the utley pivot is good for most chips, and pitches up to 30 yards. I'm no expert in any means but I do like to get as much info on different styles and its nice that there is a forum to ask questions to those who have already spent some time trying out these methods. It's funny because everything does seem to have a label anymore. In putting ... Left hand low, pendulum, piston, traditional, belly putting. Just to name a few. I do appreciate all the feedback and thanks to all those with different ideas

Note: This thread is 4077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!