IGNORED

Personal problem/question to the serious tournament golfers.

Note: This thread is 4106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is an excellent golf forum and the best in my opinion... Does anybody here play in their state's amateur tournaments? Or big tournaments in general?

I don't come to you with a swing problem... I have a mental problem.

I play my home course all the time and have developed a trustworthy enough game to shoot Par every time I play. On good days I go low, on bad days I'll shoot a few over. But the problem is when I go to try to qualify for things like the State-Am.

For example last year in our club championship I shot 71-69 and lost by a shot. I then go to a club 40 miles up the road to try to qualify for the State Am and drop a slick 82 that day...

I do this all the time. I try to prepare, I have a very calm game... I'm in control of my emotions... I just hit bad shots at the worst time. It just doesn't feel like I can overcome the hump and qualify or just shoot a reasonable score at a course away from home.

Any help would be great!

I am not a tournament golfer, but in your OP you mention you "play your home course all the time." I'd suggest playing as many new courses as you can, and if possible, playing the state-am course before the tournament to get an idea of the layout before teeing it up for real.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by HarryVardon09

This is an excellent golf forum and the best in my opinion... Does anybody here play in their state's amateur tournaments? Or big tournaments in general?

I don't come to you with a swing problem... I have a mental problem.

I play my home course all the time and have developed a trustworthy enough game to shoot Par every time I play. On good days I go low, on bad days I'll shoot a few over. But the problem is when I go to try to qualify for things like the State-Am.

For example last year in our club championship I shot 71-69 and lost by a shot. I then go to a club 40 miles up the road to try to qualify for the State Am and drop a slick 82 that day...

I do this all the time. I try to prepare, I have a very calm game... I'm in control of my emotions... I just hit bad shots at the worst time. It just doesn't feel like I can overcome the hump and qualify or just shoot a reasonable score at a course away from home.

Any help would be great!

come down under and lets play for $100 a hole, match play......when you get sick of handing over the $$...you might get your mental fortitude into gear......and if that dont work....you weren't made for it.......Simple.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I am not a tournament golfer, but in your OP you mention you "play your home course all the time." I'd suggest playing as many new courses as you can, and if possible, playing the state-am course before the tournament to get an idea of the layout before teeing it up for real.

This -

I've heard a similar story - guys do well on their home course, have a low hc, and suck on other courses. Get out of your comfort zone.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by notsohard

come down under and lets play for $100 a hole, match play......when you get sick of handing over the $$...you might get your mental fortitude into gear......and if that dont work....you weren't made for it.......Simple.

You could be less of an ass when someone is asking for help. Besides, you're wrong, people can learn to overcome the mental block of golf.

But like was said before, you have to play other courses to get a feel for playing a course you don't know. Get used to playing shots you don't use on your home course, playing shots that aren't in an environment you're used to seeing. Play golf in an uncomfortable area until it doesn't matter where you are... all that matters is picking the shot and committing to it. Then it doesn't matter where you are.

• Upvote 1

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Great advice! When you play the tournament course ahead of time - more than once should be a priority, make sure to take notes about each hole, where you can miss, what you have to avoid etc. Also consider when you hit bad shots and whether or not there may be another way to play those particular shots if there is a pattern.

Where in the southern U.S. do you live?  You could check out something like the "Golfweek Amateur Tour" to find some good tournaments to play that will help you get used to playing in tournaments on different courses.

Amateur Golf Tour

JetFan hit the nail on the head.  Get to know the courses where the tournaments are being played.  You are a good player and being familiar with the course will really help.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm from Alabama... Thanks for the help guys, I would like to add to that and say that the biggest difference between tournament play at my course and tournament play elsewhere is the short game. I work at my course and I know the greens like the back of my hand. Getting up and down is usually a given, same with making a certain amount of Putts... When I go somewhere else my confidence around the greens blows up and I rarely make any birdies. It's always a struggle to score well when I break down in the scoring area.

I'm from Alabama...

If you live near Birmingham, there are 13 events that the regional Golfweek tour are putting on in that area.

Also, I would guess that  the Alabama golf association has lots of tournaments too.  You'll have to play tournament golf to get better at tournament golf.

I'm from Alabama...

Thanks for the help guys, I would like to add to that and say that the biggest difference between tournament play at my course and tournament play elsewhere is the short game.

I work at my course and I know the greens like the back of my hand. Getting up and down is usually a given, same with making a certain amount of Putts... When I go somewhere else my confidence around the greens blows up and I rarely make any birdies. It's always a struggle to score well when I break down in the scoring area.

Aimpoint Class ...

And what gwlee said.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 4106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!