IGNORED

Super Bowl Predictions

SCfanatic35
Note: This thread is 4063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Holding in the end zone or holding when the ball is in the end zone is a safety too I believe. Either way, it was a smart play.

You're possibly a troll since you only have 3 total posts, but I'll bite. Where did I doubt Joe? He won a Super Bowl. Amazing accomplishment. Deserves it too. But, I said he wasn't "elite." He'll get paid like he's an elite, but he's not elite. That's all. HIs career numbers backup my statement.

And yea, and the Jets are awful, and they could use Joe Flacco's services. But the Ravens weren't/aren't quite an underdog.... entering the game they were a whopping 3.5 points back in the spread. We shocked the world! Seriously, saying Flacco isn't "elite" which is a completely fair statement, does not make the Ravens underdogs.

Doesn't look like anyone wants to engage in this debate here with me though, so I'll give it up.

Umm, I've seen some of your posts on football in here before, Jetfan, and that information (and the fact that your name is Jetfan) is all I need to know to avoid debating football with you.  (Hint:  I'll lose)

All of your points about Flacco are probably correct.  It just seems to me that he get's less credit than a guy who's won a playoff game in every year, and now a Super Bowl, should.  Whereas people foam at the mouth to try and call a guy like Tony Romo "elite" even though he's done nothing of importance.  (Not saying people call him elite yet, just that I get the impression that they really want to ... as soon as he does anything good)  Ironically, I have nothing against Tony Romo, or for that matter, nothing really for Joe Flacco, just an opinion.

Haha, I'm sorry, are you somewhat complimenting me or saying that because I'm a Jets fan I am unwilling to listen to reason?

I think what would prove me wrong on this is if Flacco came out next season and beyond and could carry his team in the face of changing offensive personnel around him from season-to-season like Rodgers and Brady have done.

And we agree on Romo.

But I do admit that it is crazy that Flacco was one Lee Evans drop away from two potential Super Bowls. Still, I think for me you really need the regular season statistics to back the elite title up too. And I understand if people don't agree that you do, based on offensive play-calling outside the QB's control. Given today's rules though, the fact that he's never broken 3900 pass yards or 25+ pass TDs holds him back from that status... for now.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haha, I'm sorry, are you somewhat complimenting me or saying that because I'm a Jets fan I am unwilling to listen to reason?

I think what would prove me wrong on this is if Flacco came out next season and beyond and could carry his team in the face of changing offensive personnel around him from season-to-season like Rodgers and Brady have done.

And we agree on Romo.

But I do admit that it is crazy that Flacco was one Lee Evans drop away from two potential Super Bowls. Still, I think for me you really need the regular season statistics to back all the elite title up too. And I understand if people don't agree that you do, based on offensive play-calling outside the QB's control.

LOL!!!  I'm complimenting you!

Oh, and I have to retract my earlier (baised) comment about Flacco playing flawless.  He made, I thought, one enormous mistake (that ended up not hurting them).  With about 8 minutes left in the game, up 31-29, they had 3rd and about 18 inches on their own 45 yard line.  (Right after Jim H. challenged - and won - a spot that incorrectly gave the Ravens a first down).  Flacco checked out of what I assume had to be a Ray Rice run up the middle into a 10-12 yard back shoulder fade to a very well covered Anquan Boldin.  If it wasn't for an outstanding catch by Boldin, they have to punt right there, instead of drive down for another 3 minutes and kick a field goal.  We can say it was a smart call if we want (maybe the run gets stuffed) but it was also really lucky because Boldin was not open on that play.

Then the Niners kick a field goal at the end instead of going for it, and go up 32-31, leaving Flacco 3-4 minutes, roughly, to try and win it.  That play was a turning point, and had it turned the other way, and the Niners went on to win ... that decision is what we'd be killing him for today.

LOL!!!  I'm complimenting you!

Oh, and I have to retract my earlier (baised) comment about Flacco playing flawless.  He made, I thought, one enormous mistake (that ended up not hurting them).  With about 8 minutes left in the game, up 31-29, they had 3rd and about 18 inches on their own 45 yard line.  (Right after Jim H. challenged - and won - a spot that incorrectly gave the Ravens a first down).  Flacco checked out of what I assume had to be a Ray Rice run up the middle into a 10-12 yard back shoulder fade to a very well covered Anquan Boldin.  If it wasn't for an outstanding catch by Boldin, they have to punt right there, instead of drive down for another 3 minutes and kick a field goal.  We can say it was a smart call if we want (maybe the run gets stuffed) but it was also really lucky because Boldin was not open on that play.

Then the Niners kick a field goal at the end instead of going for it, and go up 32-31, leaving Flacco 3-4 minutes, roughly, to try and win it.  That play was a turning point, and had it turned the other way, and the Niners went on to win ... that decision is what we'd be killing him for today.

Also, don't forget the trick play on 4th down by the ravens instead of kicking the field goal.  That is a very risky move, and had it worked woulda been awesome, but it didn't and could've potentially lost the game for them (but they won anyway).

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Originally Posted by phillyk

Also, don't forget the trick play on 4th down by the ravens instead of kicking the field goal.  That is a very risky move, and had it worked woulda been awesome, but it didn't and could've potentially lost the game for them (but they won anyway).

That was really close, too.  If that guy on the corner could have held his block he would have been in the endzone!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

Quote:

That was really close, too.  If that guy on the corner could have held his block he would have been in the endzone!

Yea, if it was me, I could never leave 3 points off the board in a Super Bowl, especially when you are already up 14-3 or whatever it was at the time of that play. That said, that was a "go for the throat" kind of call there, and if successful -- even if it did result in just a 1st down and not a touchdown -- would have been devastating at that point in the game. However, when I review the call in hindsight, the risk was somewhat reduced because if the play fails, the Niners are still backed up in their own end zone. The three and out that resulted still left the Ravens in good field position, so when you weigh all the factors, it was a brilliant call. A call I doubt I would have been able to make as a coach. But not only did the Ravens staff calculate the risk, even when it fails you are more or less telling your defense that you believe in them and that they can get the ball back. It just makes the call that much more brilliant.

Now, if the Niners had marched down the field and scored a TD, then what I just said would look pretty stupid too, so....

Constantine

I think the Flacco/Boldin combination is what was really the key to this playoff run.  Flacco played well, but really had 100% trust in Boldin making a lot of great catches in tight coverage.  The back should throw (above) and several others in all the playoff games.  Boldin was outstanding IMO.  The O-line deserves kudos to as does the red zone D.

Flacco is going to hit Baltimore's budget big time next season.  It will be interesting to see how their front office deals with it.  Baltimore had a lot of depth in other positions and may have to sacrifice in other areas.

San Fran should be back, but defenses will figure out the pistol formation, so they will have to adapt.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

They have an extremely tough decision to make with Boldin based on how his 6 mil salary could affect the cap given Flacco's pending mega-contract.

Boldin can no longer gain separation, but his ability to attack the football in single coverage and bring down the reception is still up there with the best of them. What they will do will take a long time to decide, because releasing him at now age 34 could be the correct move too.

But he was one of the many differences in the game (along with the two generated turnovers, the special teams touchdown, and Flacco's controlled and well played game). But we also have to wonder if DB3 Chris Culliver's lack of ability had a lot to do with Boldin's big game too. Lots of factors for the GM to be weighing here.

Constantine

It was a well calculated, and in hindsight, not very risky move at all, very well explained by Jetfan here ...

Yea, if it was me, I could never leave 3 points off the board in a Super Bowl, especially when you are already up 14-3 or whatever it was at the time of that play. That said, that was a "go for the throat" kind of call there, and if successful -- even if it did result in just a 1st down and not a touchdown -- would have been devastating at that point in the game. However, when I review the call in hindsight, the risk was somewhat reduced because if the play fails, the Niners are still backed up in their own end zone. The three and out that resulted still left the Ravens in good field position, so when you weigh all the factors, it was a brilliant call. A call I doubt I would have been able to make as a coach. But not only did the Ravens staff calculate the risk, even when it fails you are more or less telling your defense that you believe in them and that they can get the ball back. It just makes the call that much more brilliant.

Now, if the Niners had marched down the field and scored a TD, then what I just said would look pretty stupid too, so....

They still got the touchdown they wanted on that drive, and still went up 21-3, they just had to wait a few minutes and allow the Niners to hold the ball for 3 plays. :)

(Maybe they should have tried to run out a backup WR there instead of the actual kicker ... somebody with some speed who could have actually made the corner)

The 49ers, for the second year in a row, come across as a bunch of crybabies.

Last year when they lost to the Giants, they claimed they let the Giants win.

This year, Frank Gore claimes the *better* team lost.

All of the crying about the refs - it gets old - if you put the game away, one call is not going to decide a winner.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

The 49ers, for the second year in a row, come across as a bunch of crybabies. Last year when they lost to the Giants, they claimed they let the Giants win. This year, Frank Gore claimes the *better* team lost.

I think there's a pretty fair argument to suggest that the better team did lose. (Not to take anything away from the Ravens. Beating Indy, Denver, New England, and San Fran in a spam of 5 weeks is damn impressive). FootballOutsiders has Baltimore as an average offensive and defensive team by their numbers, as well as the league's best special teams team (which was on display yesterday). San Fran seem to take after their coach. Harbaugh's not a very graceful loser (just ask his headset, I'm pretty sure he set a new record for spiking that thing last night).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by meenman

The 49ers, for the second year in a row, come across as a bunch of crybabies.

Last year when they lost to the Giants, they claimed they let the Giants win.

This year, Frank Gore claimes the *better* team lost.

All of the crying about the refs - it gets old - if you put the game away, one call is not going to decide a winner.

I'm not a fan of either team in fact I was probably leaning towards the Ravens to win but...

I would say they let the giants off the hook last year I mean that muffed punt is the difference so I don't think they let them win but the certainly didn't help themselves

I actually think both teams were at the same level so I don't buy the better team lost argument either

They do have some reason to cry about the refs, 1. Ed Reed being offsides on the 2 point conversion, 2. Helmet to helmet the 2nd and goal play to Crabtree I hate that penalty but that was the definition of it, 3. The last play of the game I gave the refs credit they let them play but they gave that pass interference call to Torrey Smith earlier and didn't give the same exact type of contact to Crabtree in the end zone. I've seen quite a few of the games Boger did this season and he is one of the worst refs in the NFL he has a tendency to lose control of games. I guess what probably ticks off niners fans is the no calls were in crucial situations for the niners.

• Upvote 1
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by jamo

FootballOutsiders has Baltimore as an average offensive and defensive team by their numbers, as well as the league's best special teams team (which was on display yesterday).

Honestly, I find rating teams by numbers to be weak.

2 years ago, I was fighting with my Detroit friends that swore Stafford should have been in the pro bowl over Eli (I told them not to worry, because Eli would be in the SB anyway) - it's easy to throw for 400 yards a game when you are constantly down by 3 TDs.

I will stick with the best team winning every year just because it is a long season and you need to manage your team that way. How many teams have gone 10-0,12-0 and 14-0 to start only to crumble when the games really matter.

Unless you are one of those teams with an insane home record (Patriots come to mind) - there is no longer any reason to play for the first round bye. There is a lot to be said for momentum and it's not quite as punishing as playing in baseballs new wild card round where 1 game can make 162 a waste.

• Upvote 1

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

I will stick with the best team winning every year just because it is a long season and you need to manage your team that way. How many teams have gone 10-0,12-0 and 14-0 to start only to crumble when the games really matter.

The Bears, are constantly doing that, making a great start to the season then sucking. Really annoying...

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I'm not a fan of either team in fact I was probably leaning towards the Ravens to win but...

I would say they let the giants off the hook last year I mean that muffed punt is the difference so I don't think they let them win but the certainly didn't help themselves

I actually think both teams were at the same level so I don't buy the better team lost argument either

They do have some reason to cry about the refs, 1. Ed Reed being offsides on the 2 point conversion, 2. Helmet to helmet the 2nd and goal play to Crabtree I hate that penalty but that was the definition of it, 3. The last play of the game I gave the refs credit they let them play but they gave that pass interference call to Torrey Smith earlier and didn't give the same exact type of contact to Crabtree in the end zone. I've seen quite a few of the games Boger did this season and he is one of the worst refs in the NFL he has a tendency to lose control of games. I guess what probably ticks off niners fans is the no calls were in crucial situations for the niners.

Couldnt have said it any better myself

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

One thing I noticed during the postgame coverage that reminded me how well coached the Ravens are; during the punt/intentional safety play - that took 8 seconds! - several blockers on the Ravens were holding like crazy.  I mean, blatant, arms around the body, virtually tackling the Niners players, type holding.  Enough of them were doing it that I have to believe they were instructed to do so.  That's just really smart.  Why?  What's the worse case scenario?  They call holding on the Ravens, back them up half the distance to the goal, and do the play again.  But what they don't do is run the time back.

No way that the Niners would be able to accept a penalty call on that play no matter what, so that was just really smart coaching in my book.

Actually, if the holding takes place in the end zone, it's a safety.  However, the play can't be blown dead just because holding occurred.  Excellent strategy by the Ravens.

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• 1 month later...

I just saw that the Ravens traded Boldin to the 49ers for a 6th round pick?!  Damn... The winner of the Harbowl must be trying to help brother out?  That seems like a really lame trade in terms of value that the Ravens got in return?  But according to the SI article, it free'd up $6M in cap space which they need to resign other players and possibly bring on a replacement?

But there were stretches in games where Boldin took over and dominated during the playoffs as a possession receiver - making huge gains when they needed to move the chains. Hell, he even had a critical touchdown grab during Harbowl.

As an NFL fan - I have to scratch my head.  As a Browns fan... I'm doing handstands and backflips over here!  Boldin not being in the AFC North is huge. GO BROWNS!

http://nfl.si.com/2013/03/11/did-ravens-err-by-trading-anquan-boldin-to-49ers/

Boldin is a long way removed from his 102-catch, 1,400-yard 2005 season, but he continues to be a reliable targ et. That proved especially true in the playoffs — Boldin caught 22 passes and scored four touchdowns in Baltimore’s playoff wins, stepping up as Joe Flacco’s go-to guy.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I just saw that the Ravens traded Boldin to the 49ers for a 6th round pick?!  Damn... The winner of the Harbowl must be trying to help brother out?  That seems like a really lame trade in terms of value that the Ravens got in return?  There were stretches in games where Boldin took over and dominated during the playoffs as a possession receiver - making huge gains when they needed to move the chains. Hell, he even had a critical touchdown grab during Harbowl.

As an NFL fan - I have to scratch my head.  As a Browns fan... I'm doing handstands and backflips over here!  Boldin not being in the NFC North is huge. GO BROWNS!

Do you think trades between those teams get extra scrutiny because the coaches are brothers?

I head the Ravens gave him an ultimatum--take a pay cut or get cut.  So I guess he refused and they figured a 6th round pick was better than nothing. Now that they have the best....I mean....highest paid QB in the league.......

Aren't the 49ers in the running to get Revis too?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I just saw that the Ravens traded Boldin to the 49ers for a 6th round pick?!  Damn... The winner of the Harbowl must be trying to help brother out?

It's either that or he's giving little brother his leftovers.

I thought trading Alex Smith was going to be the best thing for the Niners this offseason. And then they go out and get Bolding for a 6th round pick?! Haha...talk about cheap. But hope all the new acquisitions help the Niners next year.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Note: This thread is 4063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!