IGNORED

Launch Monitor: are inconsistent driver spin RPMs normal?

tuffluck
Note: This thread is 4079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i've been on a quest for some time to get a new driver because i want LOW SPIN.  current is a nike sq dymo 2009.  i hit it 265y Avg, 105 swing speed, 9.5 loft, 3800rpm spin Avg.  i have hit this on a launch monitor and had some inconsistent results, but generally i see spin always at least over 3200 and closer to 3800.  i have tried every single mainstream driver on the market and nearly all have had comparable spin numbers to the nike.  there have only been a few exceptions, one being the ping anser.

i hit the 8.5 anser today (weird i hit it better than the 9.5).  the anser has given me either spin of ~3k or ~4k, even though all shots on the monitor traveled 235-250 AIR, plus 5-20y of roll depending on the spin.  none of them felt like mishits, but a 1000 average rpm difference with the same club seems steep.

am i mishitting the ball to get these inconsistent spin numbers or is this normal?  i feel like i need more evidence to buy a new driver.  if i grow into the anser and a 3000 rpm spin becomes the norm, it's worth buying; if i'm still hitting it nearly 4k, i should stick with my nike since they both seem to travel similar distances.

FYI i play in windy conditions usually because of where i live.  high spin + wind = ballooning, which is my main reason for wanting a new driver.  265y usually gets the job done otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you had your swing checked with a shaft analyzer?

Something that is used by the computer to measure your speed, transition, and recommend a kick point?

I congratulate you for sounding very thoughtful in your thinking. Lots of people just want a new, expensive, shiny driver thinking that will fix things.

Of course, the angle of attack is key. And, like most golfers you are going to struggle to be consistent with the longest club in the bag.

So, I would do the shaft analyzer to make sure you are using a shaft that fits your swing. And, second, get some help with developing a swing path that isn't too steep.

That my 2 cents worth. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Yes, driver spin is going to vary quite a bit shot to shot for most people, because most people are not hitting the center of the face all the time. The club head has a roll radius (ie. it is convex), which means the actual loft varies by plus/minus 3 degrees as you move up/down the face. So let's say the Anser is exactly 8.5 degrees (and it probably isn't) in the center of the face -- if you hit one shot just a little high on the face the dynamic loft on that might be 10 degrees and if you hit another shot just a little low the dynamic loft on that might be 7 degrees. Three degrees difference in loft at 105 mph club speed would give you an expected spin difference of about 850 rpm, so you're already in the ballpark of what you saw on the monitor.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

Yes, driver spin is going to vary quite a bit shot to shot for most people, because most people are not hitting the center of the face all the time. The club head has a roll radius (ie. it is convex), which means the actual loft varies by plus/minus 3 degrees as you move up/down the face. So let's say the Anser is exactly 8.5 degrees (and it probably isn't) in the center of the face -- if you hit one shot just a little high on the face the dynamic loft on that might be 10 degrees and if you hit another shot just a little low the dynamic loft on that might be 7 degrees. Three degrees difference in loft at 105 mph club speed would give you an expected spin difference of about 850 rpm, so you're already in the ballpark of what you saw on the monitor.

Also as you hit the ball lower on the face you get vertical gear affect which will cause the ball to spin even more. Opposite is true when hitting it higher on the face.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Launch Monitor: are inconsistent driver spin RPMs normal?

Yes.  For anybody (like me :)) whose ability to continuously strike the ball with the same part of the clubface is suspect, not to mention inconsistent swing paths, the spin numbers can vary widely.  I was on a Trackman in December and was able to register some spin numbers with a driver as low as 2200 and as high as 5500.  My good shots seemed to be around 2600 or so, but there were several bad shots that were all over the board.

OK, went back and found the report from the last time I was on a decent launch monitor (a FlightScope X2). Picked 10 shots, all with smash factors between 1.48 and 1.51, so we can assume good contact. Lowest spin was 2595 rpm and highest was 4040 rpm. Average was 3091 rpm. So the numbers you see can vary quite a bit even if you are hitting it fairly solid.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you want to buy a new driver, go for it -- but it's not going to make a night-and-day difference.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I am not sure I agree with you.  With the right driver shaft combination you can change the spin numbers.  And depending on your swing speed spin to a degree is good.  I would find a good fitter that has shafts in addition to the factory shafts and see what they can do.  The OP might have a descending blow also which could increase the numbers.

Originally Posted by inthecup

I am not sure I agree with you.  With the right driver shaft combination you can change the spin numbers.  And depending on your swing speed spin to a degree is good.  I would find a good fitter that has shafts in addition to the factory shafts and see what they can do.  The OP might have a descending blow also which could increase the numbers.

Hitting up or down with the driver will not change the spin rate just the launch angle. Hitting it high on the face will decrease spin and hitting it lower on the face will increase spin.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

Hitting up or down with the driver will not change the spin rate just the launch angle. Hitting it high on the face will decrease spin and hitting it lower on the face will increase spin.

Yeah ... during my aforementioned Trackman session I also learned that I have a -4 attack angle, and with solid hits was still able to produce 2500-ish numbers.

Actually I wound up building my own driver. I bought an 8.5 Adams fast 12 ls head and paired it with a pro launch red shaft that i had pured. So far unless my gps has lied, I've gain 12 extra yards off the tee average, 257y to 269y. I may not have known entirely what I was doing, but i think my results all worked out well. And I only paid $105 total for my brand new driver vs. $400 for a regular brand new driver.

tuffluck,

As golfingdad said, the average golfer doesn't hit it dead center every time. And, unless you live in warm weather land, your swing is probably is a little out of groove from winter layoff.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!