IGNORED

slicing wood's/driver but not irons

Note: This thread is 4056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This video will help.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sure, the face is open on the driver but why not on the irons? What r u doing differently? The driver is the longest and most difficult stick in the bag, IMHO. Most of us have a good idea how far for the iron shot but for the driver our hopes are limitless.  'As far as possible'.  Me too. Something is going on between your hips and your shoulders/arms which may be  causing the big slices. I  say 'may' but in my case, certainly. When i desire to hit the ball a country mile (and not swing the club) my shoulders/arms push forward, way in front of my hips thus the face is open, and the ball bananas away. My only tip is to focus on the hips first and let the shoulders rotate around the spine. Keep  your arms at full extension always and no  swaying of lower body.

It might be the loft of the clubs. The more loft, the less noticeable the slice. I heard that from somewhere, but don't know whether it's true or not.

- Jered

Won't be able to tell for sure without seeing the swing.  Your best bet is to upload some swings to evolvr and have those guys look at it and give you the proper answer.  It's easily the best forty dollars you can spend.

i was doing it with the 3w, turns out i needed a stiffer shaft.  have not done it since honestly.

a driver is easy to overswing, and a lot of overswung drivers result in a slice.  try slowing the swing down and see what happens.

He is slicing because the face is open to his swing path. If you swing across the ball, out-to-in, OTT it will slice. It is caused from starting the down swing with the upper body(shoulders).

In the image below you can see in the left side the shaft is abouve the shoulder(slice)and in the one to the right is under the shoulder, more from the inside.

You need to swing more from the inside to stopcutting across the ball(OTT).

5 Simple Keys® Associate

I am working thorugh some similar issues.  WIsh I could post my video but I do not know how.....Anyways, the fix for me is making sure that my left wrist is bowed or flat instead of being cupped at the top of the swing.  This allows a transition that is more from the inside instead of being too upright which results in the face being open at impact.  I do not have an issue so much with the irons as much as the driver and 3w but this is a sure cure for it.  Force that left wrist to not cup at all, if it does then it's almost impossible to transition to the downswing and have an inside/out swingpath and instead leaves the face too open thus slicing the ball.  I wish I could upload my videos because I have a before and after video of this exactly and you can see the difference.......

How is it that I can masterfully time an OTT swing and square the club face (relative to the target line) at impact and hit a nice long straight pull. But can't just swing the club straight. I like how one of my instructors had me closing the club face at address to help combat my slices. After plenty of work he had me hitting straight pulls, instead of addressing why I was coming over the top. Sometimes it's frustrating!!!

- Jered

I think EverythingGolf has it right. I think my swing path is generally good. Today I saw a repeat of school of golf today. It was chapter 2: crushing the driver. The second part of the episode they talked about hitting it straight with power. They said to slide the hips forward slightly, dip the right shoulder and to roll the right foot on to the instep. I wish I could find the episode to put it on here cause it was interesting to see and get other people's thoughts on it.

Originally Posted by bjwestner

I am working thorugh some similar issues.  WIsh I could post my video but I do not know how.

All you have to do is put it on youtube then post it here.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Originally Posted by jclark

How is it that I can masterfully time an OTT swing and square the club face (relative to the target line) at impact and hit a nice long straight pull.

The face is not square to the target it is square to the path that is why it goes straight, if it was square to the target it would start relatively straihgt then slice.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Originally Posted by Stephen Newcomb

They said to slide the hips forward slightly, dip the right shoulder and to roll the right foot on to the instep.

Don't dip the shoulders back to the left, rotate the shoulders around your inclination(spine angle).

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Originally Posted by Stephen Newcomb

Title says it all. My irons I hit great but my woods and driver I consistently slice. I'm pretty sure (99%) it's because I have the clubface open.

Any suggestions, video's to watch, or exercises I can do to eliminate it?

There is some good advice above but I will add that make sure to set up square to the target and pay attention to ball position. My father in-law has a tendency to slice so he keeps aiming further right which reinforces a slice swing.

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

There is some good advice above but I will add that make sure to set up square to the target and pay attention to ball position. My father in-law has a tendency to slice so he keeps aiming further right which reinforces a slice swing.

Do you mean to the left?

5 Simple Keys® Associate

The face is not square to the target it is square to the path that is why it goes straight, if it was square to the target it would start relatively straihgt then slice.

My bad. I meant square to the path. :)

- Jered

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

You mentioning this reminded me of another thing the golf academy mentioned. They said when addressing the ball to do three things, 1) not to have your weight forward and to check this by placing the shaft against your left arm and ensuring the the club head is on the inside of your leg. 2) to put your right hand on your right knee, (I'm guessing for shoulder placement) and 3. to close your stance a little to the target.

Not sure if those would help eliminate the slice or things to do to try to add distance, just throwing it out there

Note: This thread is 4056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!