IGNORED

Overspin Putter

dsc123
Note: This thread is 2555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Lefthook

I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but I bag an overspin (won it at an outing) and it sets up great for me. And no  I don't call it money but  had a streak of 9 tournament rounds without a three put last season.

I do agree that is one cheesy commercial.

I have nothing against anyone who uses the putter, especially if it works. I just think the commercial is ridiculous. I would putt with a rock duct taped to a stick if I could make more putts with it.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon

I see this commercial all the time and wonder the same exact thing. Is it even possible to put backspin in the ball when putting?

Yes. If you have a positive spin axis (i.e. AoA is more down than the loft) you hit the putt with backspin.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Money!!!!! (say in a totally douchebaggy voice).

I've met the "Money" guy. He's a good dude.

Originally Posted by MackJL06

When I saw it, it reminded me of the Tour Striker. If you flip or release your hands too early, you'll strike the ball with "the little angle on the bottom". What I visualize the concept being, is that it would reinforce the notion of having some forward shaft lean at impact, not necessarily that the design will physically make a difference upon ball-strike.

Yeah, from what I can gather, that's basically the idea. Not ideal - you still need to hit putts with a little loft - but at least it gets people to stop flipping and ADDing loft to their putters.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I laugh every time I see the commericial.

Here are the simple economics: the commercial has been running for a LONG time. It runs fairly often. The guy who runs the commercials isn't doing so for fun, he's doing it to make money… In other words, some of you laugh, but a lot of people are picking up the phone and buying the putter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So the ball will roll forward.. with backspin?? Doesn't sound right. I don't think i have ever seen a putt with backspin. I know you say it's possible but I would have to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

Driver: :cleveland:  Hibore XL 9.5*
5 Wood: :cleveland: Hibore 19*
Irons: :nike:Victory Red Tour Forged (3-PW)
Wedge: :cleveland: CG14 56*
Putter: :odyssey: White Ice 2 Ball Blade
Ball: :topflite: 50 elite

Originally Posted by SimpleSimon

So the ball will roll forward.. with backspin?? Doesn't sound right. I don't think i have ever seen a putt with backspin. I know you say it's possible but I would have to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

Obviously, he only means that at the moment of impact you will be imparting backspin on the ball.  Once it leaves the clubface, unless you get it airborne, it's gonna skid, and start rolling forward very quickly.  It probably won't even spin backwards more than a quarter of a revolution or something (I'm totally pulling that number out of my butt as a guess) :)

That makes much more sense. Thank you!

Driver: :cleveland:  Hibore XL 9.5*
5 Wood: :cleveland: Hibore 19*
Irons: :nike:Victory Red Tour Forged (3-PW)
Wedge: :cleveland: CG14 56*
Putter: :odyssey: White Ice 2 Ball Blade
Ball: :topflite: 50 elite

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Obviously, he only means that at the moment of impact you will be imparting backspin on the ball.  Once it leaves the clubface, unless you get it airborne, it's gonna skid, and start rolling forward very quickly.  It probably won't even spin backwards more than a quarter of a revolution or something (I'm totally pulling that number out of my butt as a guess) :)

Yeah, balls get airborne and that's when they have backspin.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Money!!!!! (say in a totally douchebaggy voice).

I've met the "Money" guy. He's a good dude.

My fault, Erik. I'm sure he is a good guy. Does he actually use an overspin putter?

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I laugh every time I see the commericial.

Here are the simple economics: the commercial has been running for a LONG time. It runs fairly often. The guy who runs the commercials isn't doing so for fun, he's doing it to make money… In other words, some of you laugh, but a lot of people are picking up the phone and buying the putter.

I'm sure people are still buying the Hammer too. Doesn't make it a good buy though

All that said, I've never actually used one, so.... there you go.

Constantine

• Administrator

I have.

It's a putter. I'm partial to my Edel, but I know some people who LOVE 'em.

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

I have.

It's a putter. I'm partial to my Edel, but I know some people who LOVE 'em.

Well, you know you're preaching to the choir when it comes to talking up Edel .... Thanks for the information though. I stand corrected. I still think buyer's remorse potential is high when buying a putter one's never tried first, but still, I stand corrected.

Constantine

• Administrator

Well, you know you're preaching to the choir when it comes to talking up Edel .... Thanks for the information though. I stand corrected. I still think buyer's remorse potential is high when buying a putter one's never tried first, but still, I stand corrected.

Yeah. Probably about as much as buying a putter after hitting a few putts on a store "putting green".

But again, I'm partial to Edel for the fitting and personalization.

Originally Posted by Lefthook

I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but I bag an overspin (won it at an outing) and it sets up great for me. And no  I don't call it money but  had a streak of 9 tournament rounds without a three put last season.

I do agree that is one cheesy commercial.

You shouldn't be embarrassed. It's like anyone's putter... You love it if YOU feel comfortable with it.  As long as you don't believe the nonsense that it's gonna be better than any other putter out there... it's only good for people who use it well... you are apparently one of these people.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

...and they use the same sound effect of the ball rattling in the hole regardless of how fast the ball is going or if the pin is in the hole.  The ball just can't possibly make that noise when it's going slowly then falls into a cup with a pin in it!

• 4 years later...

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Any putter will give topspin to the ball.

I think it been shown if the rise angle is greater than effective loft of the putter there will forward rotation immediately after contact.

So having slightly more loft on the putter and/or changing the putting stroke so the finish is a bit higher by hitting more upstroke will impart more forward rotation at impact rather than having the ball slide forward immediately after impact

• Administrator
2 hours ago, dchoye said:

So having slightly more loft on the putter and/or changing the putting stroke so the finish is a bit higher by hitting more upstroke will impart more forward rotation at impact rather than having the ball slide forward immediately after impact

"less" is what you meant to type there, but yes… any putter can produce a slight amount of topspin.

RoundBarPutt.thumb.jpg.464df7730e8f42319fff79c3c909f189.jpg

Lawton, OK, clubsmith made this for me. I had lived in Lawton twice. First time there, the greens were trimmed very close all over the area, making for a fast track. When I returned in 1998, most greenskeeper were leaving greens a bit bushy to increase turf survivability during hot summers. Thus, I had trouble leaving putts short, and controlling distance on longer putters. This round bar putter worked nicely in Lawton, got the ball rolling nicely.

But when I returned to St. Louis area, the greens were clipped closer and ran faster and I had trouble adjusting. I went to a conventional MacGregor putter to get better control.

TDropPutt.jpg.96178755e35372578e372b1b9f925e21.jpgI suspect the bar putter has a similar impact effect to the Teardrop putters (left), which have a slightly convex face.

Some versions of Teardrop putters actually had round-bar heads.

Any comments on the physics would be appreciated.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!