IGNORED

Help me to build my golf set

marvin
Note: This thread is 4069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

I was just moving to the UK to pursue a grad school and left my golf set back at home. I've been playing golf for a year, yet it became really addictive.

So, I was thinking about getting a used golf set which is probably 3-5 years old. Just to have fun and get outside when the weather is nice.

I can find it on garage sale or eBay. I can probably listed them on ebay when I finish my study. My current budget is no more than £250 or $400. Here are a couple thinks that came up in my mind.

Driver/Woods: old titleist/taylormade 9"/10" driver or 3 woods 14"/15"
Irons: a set of mizuno mp60/mp62
Wedges: an old vokey or cleveland 56"
Putter: an old ping or scotty

Plus a pencil bag

What do you think about that? Comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

PS: I don't have an official handicap yet, since I only play in the driving range (I posted my swings here ).

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

Originally Posted by marvin

Hi guys,

I was just moving to the UK to pursue a grad school and left my golf set back at home. I've been playing golf for a year, yet it became really addictive.

So, I was thinking about getting a used golf set which is probably 3-5 years old. Just to have fun and get outside when the weather is nice.

I can find it on garage sale or eBay. I can probably listed them on ebay when I finish my study. My current budget is no more than £250 or $400. Here are a couple thinks that came up in my mind.

Driver/Woods: old titleist/taylormade 9"/10" driver or 3 woods 14"/15"

Irons: a set of mizuno mp60/mp62

Wedges: an old vokey or cleveland 56"

Putter: an old ping or scotty

Plus a pencil bag

What do you think about that? Comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

PS: I don't have an official handicap yet, since I only play in the driving range (I posted my swings here).

here is my immediate feedback (didn't look at your swing video)

The Mizuno MP series blades are for established golfers, and as such do not have the forgiveness of an easier to hit cavity back club.  If you could find a set of Callaway Big Bertha's from 2008/2009 those are stupid easy to hit and you should be able to score a nice set online.

As for the Putter, a ping / scotty putter is a great club, but given your tight budget, I would focus on looking for something a little less expensive.  a $100 putter will only leave you with $300 to buy the rest of your set.

Here is what I would look for if I were you

Driver around $50.  Lots of options on ebay, drivers change very often and last years models are easily had for little money.  I bought a callaway DST for $50 last year, and just picked up a Callaway FTiQ for $27.

Hybrid / fairway wood, get which ever suits you, a 2-3 year old model should be no more than $50.

Irons, this is where you will spend most of your money.  plan to spend around $200 for a decent set of irons and look for 3/4 to PW.  Anything in the SGI (super game improvement) will get you what you want for not alot of money.  The Mizuno MX series (mx25, MX200) would probably be in that range, and still give you the brand you identified with.

for a wedge, you can look at places like Hirekogolf.com and others and probably get a new wedge for $30 plus shipping, but you should be able to find a 56 degree wedge on ebay for $30 give or take.

For the putter, it is a personal preference thing, and I always recommend hitting a putter before buying it.  Check used sporting good stores, thrift shops, etc.  You should have luck finding something that feels nice in your hands for around $30 to $50.

that gives you a few bucks left for a bag, balls, tees, and the most important tool in a golf bag (the eraser)

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

here is my immediate feedback (didn't look at your swing video)

The Mizuno MP series blades are for established golfers, and as such do not have the forgiveness of an easier to hit cavity back club.  If you could find a set of Callaway Big Bertha's from 2008/2009 those are stupid easy to hit and you should be able to score a nice set online.

As for the Putter, a ping / scotty putter is a great club, but given your tight budget, I would focus on looking for something a little less expensive.  a $100 putter will only leave you with $300 to buy the rest of your set.

Here is what I would look for if I were you

Driver around $50.  Lots of options on ebay, drivers change very often and last years models are easily had for little money.  I bought a callaway DST for $50 last year, and just picked up a Callaway FTiQ for $27.

Hybrid / fairway wood, get which ever suits you, a 2-3 year old model should be no more than $50.

Irons, this is where you will spend most of your money.  plan to spend around $200 for a decent set of irons and look for 3/4 to PW.  Anything in the SGI (super game improvement) will get you what you want for not alot of money.  The Mizuno MX series (mx25, MX200) would probably be in that range, and still give you the brand you identified with.

for a wedge, you can look at places like Hirekogolf.com and others and probably get a new wedge for $30 plus shipping, but you should be able to find a 56 degree wedge on ebay for $30 give or take.

For the putter, it is a personal preference thing, and I always recommend hitting a putter before buying it.  Check used sporting good stores, thrift shops, etc.  You should have luck finding something that feels nice in your hands for around $30 to $50.

that gives you a few bucks left for a bag, balls, tees, and the most important tool in a golf bag (the eraser)

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The reason why I preferred MP60/62 is they're kinda popular here. I can get it easily from eBay. And cheap as well, usually around £100-150.

I used to play JPX 800 PRO back home and hit most of the time straight, probably a bit slice for longer iron. I just want a challenge and hopefully MP60/62 will help decrease my handicap sooner.

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

... The Mizuno MP series blades are for established golfers, and as such do not have the forgiveness of an easier to hit cavity back club.  If you could find a set of Callaway Big Bertha's from 2008/2009 those are stupid easy to hit and you should be able to score a nice set online. ...

Caution on the Big Bertha's: If  you have decent (not great) clubhead speed, the stock high-launch shafts may get the ball up too high on the shorter irons. If you have decent clubhead speed, the Callaway X20 with a midkick, Uniflex shaft would prevent ballooning on the shorter clubs.

Ping G10 is another model that gets the ball up a little too high for some players.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for your prompt reply. The reason why I preferred MP60/62 is they're kinda popular here. I can get it easily from eBay. And cheap as well, usually around £100-150. I used to play JPX 800 PRO back home and hit most of the time straight, probably a bit slice for longer iron. I just want a challenge and hopefully MP60/62 will help decrease my handicap sooner.

The Jpx 800 pro is the evolved version of the mx25/mx200 but if you like the mp series it is in fact a fantastic club and by all means give it a shot. I am of the school of thought that this game is hard enough, why should I carry clubs that I can't hit on my worst days.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

The Jpx 800 pro is the evolved version of the mx25/mx200 but if you like the mp series it is in fact a fantastic club and by all means give it a shot.

I am of the school of thought that this game is hard enough, why should I carry clubs that I can't hit on my worst days.

Just curious, which one is more forgiving, MP60/62 versus MP 33/69?

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Caution on the Big Bertha's: If  you have decent (not great) clubhead speed, the stock high-launch shafts may get the ball up too high on the shorter irons. If you have decent clubhead speed, the Callaway X20 with a midkick, Uniflex shaft would prevent ballooning on the shorter clubs.

Ping G10 is another model that gets the ball up a little too high for some players.

Thanks for your suggestion. Me not a fan of Callaway though.

The Jpx 800 pro is the evolved version of the mx25/mx200 but if you like the mp series it is in fact a fantastic club and by all means give it a shot.

I am of the school of thought that this game is hard enough, why should I carry clubs that I can't hit on my worst days.

On the contrary, I want a kind of challenge. If I can hit MP60/62, then I must be able to hit cavity backs easily. *finger crossed*

Any suggestion on the driver or 3-wood?

On the contrary, I want a kind of challenge. If I can hit MP60/62, then I must be able to hit cavity backs easily. *finger crossed*

It's pretty hard to see your swing on that video (you're much more likely to get good feedback with better videos), but you don't look to generate a whole lot of power to me.

Sure, you might be able to hit blades straight, but you probably won't get a great ball flight out of them. You'll probably also find that blades will more often have stiffer, lower launching shafts in them (as they were bought by better golfers), which won't suit you well.

It's important to buy irons that you like, but if you can find ones that you like that also suit where you're at right now. There's easily enough of a challenge in hitting clubs that fit your swing well, you don't need to add in anything extra.

Thanks for your suggestion. Me not a fan of Callaway though. On the contrary, I want a kind of challenge. If I can hit MP60/62, then I must be able to hit cavity backs easily. *finger crossed* Any suggestion on the driver or 3-wood?

For a suggestion on drivers and 3 wood. It totally depends on what you want. Ping, Nike, Cleveland, Mizuno all make fine clubs. what do you have now? Just out of curiosity, why not just go home and get your other clubs?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The reason why I preferred MP60/62 is they're kinda popular here. I can get it easily from eBay. And cheap as well, usually around £100-150.

I used to play JPX 800 PRO back home and hit most of the time straight, probably a bit slice for longer iron. I just want a challenge and hopefully MP60/62 will help decrease my handicap sooner.

If you can let me know where to get a set of serviceable Mizuno MP62s or JPX800 Pros for $160-$240 online, let me know. I'll be your best friend.

My advice - get a set of 3 forged wedges from Hireko Golf, DiamondTour Golf, or Gigagolf. You can do that for $120 custom fit. This might score some ridicule, but I think Tommy Armour 845s irons are awesome and you can find a used set on E-Bay for $50. I bought a 5 iron of that model about 12 years ago for 5 bucks at a dime store and still use the thing today sometimes.

P.S. - I also hate Callaway irons, though I've never played their tour irons. I demoed X-22s and couldn't stand them.

Originally Posted by Mordan

It's pretty hard to see your swing on that video (you're much more likely to get good feedback with better videos), but you don't look to generate a whole lot of power to me.

Sure, you might be able to hit blades straight, but you probably won't get a great ball flight out of them. You'll probably also find that blades will more often have stiffer, lower launching shafts in them (as they were bought by better golfers), which won't suit you well.

It's important to buy irons that you like, but if you can find ones that you like that also suit where you're at right now. There's easily enough of a challenge in hitting clubs that fit your swing well, you don't need to add in anything extra.

Thanks for your comments. Don't get me wrong, I do really love my JPX800 pro that I left them back home. It was the first set that I bought about a year ago, and has helped me a lot. But here, I want to try something different (player iron or blades), on a budget of no more than £150 for a set of iron.

If I can hit them, good, it means I'm improving. If not, I might simply re-list them on eBay or Gumtree and change to the cavity back. So, it's not a big deal for me. I must admit that Mizuno blades are really gorgeous.

For a suggestion on drivers and 3 wood. It totally depends on what you want. Ping, Nike, Cleveland, Mizuno all make fine clubs. what do you have now?

Just out of curiosity, why not just go home and get your other clubs?

I'm gonna be here in the UK for at least 3 years. I don't have any plan to go home in the next couple of months. Besides, my home country is 9000 miles from here. Instead of going back home and bring my clubs here, I think it's better to get a used clubs from eBay. If I don't like it, or I finish my study, I'll put them on eBay. Not a big deal.

I've already got RBZ driver & wood, JPX800pro, vokey wedges, and odyssey 2-ball mallet putter at home. But here I don't have any preference and really open for any suggestion. Probably old TaylorMade, Nike SQ, or Titleist for driver/wood?

Thanks for your comments. Don't get me wrong, I do really love my JPX800 pro that I left them back home. It was the first set that I bought about a year ago, and has helped me a lot. But here, I want to try something different (player iron or blades), on a budget of no more than £150 for a set of iron.

If I can hit them, good, it means I'm improving. If not, I might simply re-list them on eBay or Gumtree and change to the cavity back. So, it's not a big deal for me. I must admit that Mizuno blades are really gorgeous.

I play Mizuno MP-57s and love them, as much for the way they look as how well I hit them. It's important to love the clubs you're playing.

But just be aware (and this is as much about the shaft as the club head), you could put your best swing on some clubs and just not get the ball flight you deserve. But get some clubs that fit you better and put a good swing on them and you'll get that correct feedback that will let you know that you're doing well.

I'm a big advocate of buying used irons, because as you say if you don't like them you can just sell them again often for almost as much as you bought them for. But just be aware that it's about a lot more than purely the shape of the clubhead, and getting clubs that really don't suit you will mean that you're never going to get the most out of them.

Well, first of all, get a 10* driver at VERY LEAST. Don't get suckered in to the fallacy of 'manning up' and getting something in single digits... Most all beginners need the additional loft. I'm in my fourth year, and I still hit it pretty low with a 10.5*. Favor control over manliness, you'll be thankful.

Second of all, get cavity backs for sure. And at least go hybrid to the 4, if not the 5 like I do. You'll be able to get some backspin on those shorter irons with a good swing and the right ball.

It seems like you're looking for affirmation, and not confirmation on whether or not to get those Mizunos, but I'm telling you that you probably shouldn't. Don't get something you most likely can't hit yet... Why make the game harder than it already is for no other apparent reason than the aforementioned 'man up' factor.

I have a "SUPER" game improvement set, as you might call it. 3-5 hybrids, 6-PW cavity backs, and three wedges. It's what I do even in my fourth season, and it's the kind of set you should consider as well.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Originally Posted by WalkTheCourse

Well, first of all, get a 10* driver at VERY LEAST. Don't get suckered in to the fallacy of 'manning up' and getting something in single digits... Most all beginners need the additional loft. I'm in my fourth year, and I still hit it pretty low with a 10.5*. Favor control over manliness, you'll be thankful.

Second of all, get cavity backs for sure. And at least go hybrid to the 4, if not the 5 like I do. You'll be able to get some backspin on those shorter irons with a good swing and the right ball.

It seems like you're looking for affirmation, and not confirmation on whether or not to get those Mizunos, but I'm telling you that you probably shouldn't. Don't get something you most likely can't hit yet... Why make the game harder than it already is for no other apparent reason than the aforementioned 'man up' factor.

I have a "SUPER" game improvement set, as you might call it. 3-5 hybrids, 6-PW cavity backs, and three wedges. It's what I do even in my fourth season, and it's the kind of set you should consider as well.

With all due respect, for me, a cavity back is like a condom. It just doesn't feel the same. You won't get the "orgasmic" feel and feedback on cavity back either. :)

Originally Posted by widget

With all due respect, for me, a cavity back is like a condom. It just doesn't feel the same. You won't get the "orgasmic" feel and feedback on cavity back either. :)

With all due respect, your handicap is 10. Clearly you are a seasoned golfer.

Mine is 20 at best. I shoot 90s, as presumably does the OP, if not worse... The fine-tuned feel differences between cavity backs and blades are the of the least importance for players like him and I right now. Getting the ball in the air consistently with a measure of swing forgiveness, is important.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

I'm gonna be here in the UK for at least 3 years. I don't have any plan to go home in the next couple of months. Besides, my home country is 9000 miles from here. Instead of going back home and bring my clubs here, I think it's better to get a used clubs from eBay. If I don't like it, or I finish my study, I'll put them on eBay. Not a big deal.

I've already got RBZ driver & wood, JPX800pro, vokey wedges, and odyssey 2-ball mallet putter at home. But here I don't have any preference and really open for any suggestion. Probably old TaylorMade, Nike SQ, or Titleist for driver/wood?

If only this international company existed that could have things shipped to another part of the country?  I wonder where I would inquire about such a company?  Man if only this giant database existed in the sky that you could type in keywords and get results on things like this.  Al Gore made a few bucks inventing the second thing.

My point is that the clubs that are likely sitting in a closet are going to be worth far less in 3 years that you are better off just taking the money that you have to put towards buying less stellar gear and having somebody bundle up what you have and have it shipped.  You would have your own clubs, and any money you saved could be spent on lessons / greens fees / etc.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

I'm gonna be here in the UK for at least 3 years. I don't have any plan to go home in the next couple of months. Besides, my home country is 9000 miles from here. Instead of going back home and bring my clubs here, I think it's better to get a used clubs from eBay....

I've already got RBZ driver & wood, JPX800pro, vokey wedges, and odyssey 2-ball mallet putter at home.

Ever seen any of the Federal Express (Fed.Ex) ads on TV about shipping your golf bag? Could your people back home ship your clubs to you in the UK?

Contact a FedEx office in the UK and see what the cost would be.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

If only this international company existed that could have things shipped to another part of the country?  I wonder where I would inquire about such a company?  Man if only this giant database existed in the sky that you could type in keywords and get results on things like this.  Al Gore made a few bucks inventing the second thing.

My point is that the clubs that are likely sitting in a closet are going to be worth far less in 3 years that you are better off just taking the money that you have to put towards buying less stellar gear and having somebody bundle up what you have and have it shipped.  You would have your own clubs, and any money you saved could be spent on lessons / greens fees / etc.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Ever seen any of the Federal Express (Fed.Ex) ads on TV about shipping your golf bag? Could your people back home ship your clubs to you in the UK?

Contact a FedEx office in the UK and see what the cost would be.

Thanks. Been asking my brother to ship them for me, but it would cost me £250 for a week delivery. So, no way.

I don't care if my clubs at home will be worth far less in the next couple years. My brother is willing to take care of them for me while I'm here. Besides, I have no intention to sell them because they're my first club that I have (I admit that I'm kinda sentimental person). I will probably give them to my child as soon as they're able to walk and run. :)

Anyway, I went to eBay and Gumtree. Already spent £200 for a decent set of MP33, cleveland classic putter, vokey wedges, and a bag. Couldn't be happier than I am right now. Yay!

Note: This thread is 4069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!