IGNORED

Need some Driver selection tips

tuffluck
Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i've been in the market for a driver for some time.  i have a nike currently that i hit consistently but put a ton of spin on (average 3800), which causes a lot of ballooning.  i live in north texas where 10+mph winds is just expected, so i need a penetrating ball flight that cuts through the wind.  i.e. i need a driver with less spin.

i've tried all the mainstream drivers with similar spin numbers.  the only driver that seems to work for me is the ping anser, 8.5 with stiff ahana shaft.  though the weird thing is that on launch monitors i can hit either 2600rpm spin, or 3800rpm spin (or right around).  both hits go pretty far, but i can't tell why the discrepancy.  i'm thinking maybe it's because i'm not *used* to the driver yet, and that when i warm up to it i'll see more consistent numbers.

question is which numbers would be more consistent, the low 2800rpms or the high 3800rpms?  if it's the former, the anser driver is worth the $$.  if not, i should stick to my nike driver since the results wouldn't change.  can anyone help me with this?

The low the dynamic loft the more positive AoA will be need to get the maximum distance. Lets say your AoA is -2 , dynamic loft is 10.5, your swing speed is 100MPH your launch angle would be about 7 degrees, spin around 3000RPM and you wolud hit it about 220 yards.

If AoA and swing speed was the same but the dynamic loft was 8.5 your launch angle would be about 5.5, spin around 2200RPM and you would hit it about 200 yards, a 20 yard loss. Now on the other hand if the AoA was +2 you would hit it about 226 yards, so you would have to hit up on it more to get the distance you want with a lower lofted driver. If the dynamic loft was 10.5 and the AoA was +2 you hit it about 236 yards.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tuffluck

on the launch monitor i was hitting the 8.5 about 265y.  i hit my current 9.5 about 265y, just with more spin.

Is that carry or total?

The numbers in my post are carry and the ones on the launch monitors add 30 yards of roll.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Originally Posted by tuffluck

carry for me is about 250.  i literally get 5-10y at most of roll from the amount of spin i put on my drives, hence why i need to lower the spin numbers.

Ok, The only way you are going to lower the spin is to get a lower lofted club. but if you do you need to have a positive AoA to get maximum distance.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!