IGNORED

Gamer V2 - going, going, gone?

Note: This thread is 4072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know zero about golf politics, but I know Callaway used to own Top Flite, and sold the 'brand' to Dicks. I looked at their website, and they only stock 2 types of Top Flite Balls.

So, Dicks being the owner of the brand, I thought they would have all their balls and clubs available, and be super hyping them?

So, does this mean Callaway only sold the 'brand' and held the technology rights? I can therefore see that Callaway would be buying up the technology rights to its competitors, and then holding those rights, but because they only back a hex dimple ball design, never using those tech rights on its own balls, just holding the rights so that the balls can never be made again, and therefore a super popular ball will disappear?

Additionally, Dicks being a US store only but I presume shipping worldwide, that the international supply of the product will come down just to Dicks selling online, and everyone around the world will miss out on their local suppliers having any?

Amiright?

I'm gutted as I can't get them around here, people are wooting about getting super cheap deals as they are obviously being specialed off, and I will never get to see one unless I find one on the course...

Originally Posted by Rouleur

I know zero about golf politics, but I know Callaway used to own Top Flite, and sold the 'brand' to Dicks. I looked at their website, and they only stock 2 types of Top Flite Balls.

So, Dicks being the owner of the brand, I thought they would have all their balls and clubs available, and be super hyping them?

So, does this mean Callaway only sold the 'brand' and held the technology rights? I can therefore see that Callaway would be buying up the technology rights to its competitors, and then holding those rights, but because they only back a hex dimple ball design, never using those tech rights on its own balls, just holding the rights so that the balls can never be made again, and therefore a super popular ball will disappear?

Additionally, Dicks being a US store only but I presume shipping worldwide, that the international supply of the product will come down just to Dicks selling online, and everyone around the world will miss out on their local suppliers having any?

Amiright?

I'm gutted as I can't get them around here, people are wooting about getting super cheap deals as they are obviously being specialed off, and I will never get to see one unless I find one on the course...

FWIW, Rock Bottom G9lf is doing a clearance of Gamer v2's.  $30 for 3 dozen.  I just picked up 6 dozen.  They come packaged as bulk without sleeves but who needs sleeves?

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/top-flite-gamer-v2-ammo-box-golf-balls-36.html

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whew, thanks valleygolfer, and sweet thanks for the heads up on the ammo box turtleback.

Wow, urethane cover on the Gamer '13 Tour. I wonder if the cover will tear up like the OG Gamer. And I wonder if the 'new' Gamer '13 is the same as the Gamer V2? Sure do look the same, but could look the same and be made somewhere else/some other way by DSG. Only time will tell, but not in a panic any longer :)

Thanks again guys for the info.

I'm really getting sick of cold and snow so I made a trip to my local Golf Galaxy to pass some time and renew hope that Spring (and golf season) will eventually arrive.

And what do I see on the shelf, boxes of Gamer V2, Gamer V2 (yellow), and Gamer V2 Tours.  These are selling at the list price of 19.99 and the tour was 24.99.  I don't play tour balls, but I have to believe a 3 piece urethane-covered ball for $25 is going to make some of you pretty happy.  I'm kind of excited about Gamer V2s in yellow even though I'll probably have to "splurge" and spend $20 for a dozen.

I don't know if V2s are the same as the old ones, but the descriptions are exactly the same.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Note: This thread is 4072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!