IGNORED

"You're a standard all the way"

Note: This thread is 4071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just bought some new clubs, with the possibility of getting them fitted... but when I was buying them, the guy tells me.

"Naw dude, you're a standard all the way, what are you, 5'8"?"

I'm 5'6". And I have relatively long arms for my height. This is my fourth season coming up, and would like to take my game to the one-step-up-from-beginner level. I shoot around 92-95 now...

Worth it? Not worth it? Opinions and suggestions welcomed.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

I've never done it but I always here it's one of the best investments for your game. Also it sounds like this guy doesn't know his stuff or was lazy and didn't want to fit you. The main determinant for the length of your clubs is the distance from your wrists to the ground when hanging at address position. So a 6' 5" guy could have clubs shorter than standard if he has some monkey arms!

You should at least get fitted for the correct length and lie of the irons, ping has a great system with multitude of options.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by vanpooten

I've never done it but I always here it's one of the best investments for your game. Also it sounds like this guy doesn't know his stuff or was lazy and didn't want to fit you. The main determinant for the length of your clubs is the distance from your wrists to the ground when hanging at address position. So a 6' 5" guy could have clubs shorter than standard if he has some monkey arms!

Originally Posted by saevel25

You should at least get fitted for the correct length and lie of the irons, ping has a great system with multitude of options.

Seems like the first two replies lean towards "yes." I wouldn't say the guy was being lazy... I didn't buy them from a place where they do fitting. So I'd take them somewhere else either way.

Any ideas on the approximate cost of a fitting for the 13 clubs? 2 Woods, 3 Hybrids, 8 irons?

xFIXx

I'm 6'5" and my clubs are 1/2" long (but 5 degrees upright). I guess I don't quite have monkey arms.

That's the thing... I sorta have monkey arms for a 5'6" guy... my wingspan is 5'10".

Regardless, perhaps a loft and lie adjustment is in order if nothing else.

xFIXx

Originally Posted by WalkTheCourse

Just bought some new clubs, with the possibility of getting them fitted... but when I was buying them, the guy tells me.

"Naw dude, you're a standard all the way, what are you, 5'8"?"

I'm 5'6". And I have relatively long arms for my height. This is my fourth season coming up, and would like to take my game to the one-step-up-from-beginner level. I shoot around 92-95 now...

Worth it? Not worth it? Opinions and suggestions welcomed.

There is no way of knowing by height alone. Tom Wishon, one of the top club builders advises against static fitting (measuring someone's height, setup without swinging the club) because body position can change during the swing and thus the numbers you get at setup may not have any relation to your impact position when you are actually hitting the golf ball. Personally I have never had custom fit clubs so I cannot speak to whether it may help or hinder but I am 6 4" and I play standard clubs without any issues.

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

There is no way of knowing by height alone. Tom Wishon, one of the top club builders advises against static fitting (measuring someone's height, setup without swinging the club) because body position can change during the swing and thus the numbers you get at setup may not have any relation to your impact position when you are actually hitting the golf ball. Personally I have never had custom fit clubs so I cannot speak to whether it may help or hinder but I am 6 4" and I play standard clubs without any issues.

Interesting stuff. Appreciate the thoughts. I am able to get the ball consistently in the air with standards, so I don't think I have any "issues." But I will say I've always had a directional problem... I've been told this is a grip issue, and I should probably go to midsize...

xFIXx

IMO directional problems are not a result of the grip but rather your alignment, set up, swing, etc. Post a video or two of your swing, there are a lot of guys on TST that can provide really good insight into what your problem may be. BTW, I don't think you are a "standard" judging by your description but I think you really need a dynamic fitting to tell.

Originally Posted by cooke119

IMO directional problems are not a result of the grip but rather your alignment, set up, swing, etc. Post a video or two of your swing, there are a lot of guys on TST that can provide really good insight into what your problem may be. BTW, I don't think you are a "standard" judging by your description but I think you really need a dynamic fitting to tell.

Thanks. Well, my hands are too big for standard grips... I've already changed them on my driver and hybrid, and they've helped... they feel more comfortable too. You're probably right that I'm not a standard...

xFIXx

Get fitted.  You won't regret it.  It will also give you some knowledge on the state of your swing and what you need to work on.  Find a good fitter though.

A good example is a bicycle.  Most people would just buy a bike that is close to the right size and go from there.  But, if you want to be comfortable riding really fast, for a long time and not injure your body, you need to fit the bike to your body.  Bikes are adjustable for this reason.

Same applies to golf clubs.  If you just want to hit balls every once in a while, then off the shelf is fine.  But if you really want to improve to your potential, then a fitting session will make adjustments to help you down that path.  You may end up being close to standard for length and lie, but a fitting session will tell you this.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I also believe getting fitted is a must when buying new clubs. I had two fittings one week apart. The first fitting my swing was awful, my stats were the same from my fitting last year + 1/2 length, up 1 lie, and stiff steel shaft. I decided to go to a different golf shop Friday. My swing tempo was smoother and I was hitting the irons square on the face. My length was standard, but my lie changed to standard and my graphite shaft changed to stiff/regular (Mizuno JPX 825 Pro irons). My second fitter was telling me a person's stats can change if you are swinging better and for me, swinging graphite shafts.

Note: This thread is 4071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!