IGNORED

My old or new irons for practice?

Note: This thread is 4096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a set of old Dynacraft blades that I have been working on my swing with (in this thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/63845/my-swing-tstrike34 ).

I am wondering if I should continue to use these for practice or should I use my new clubs (as listed in my signature). The Dynacrafts are blades whereas my Diablo Edges are forged.

I really dont want to beat up my new clubs except when at the range or out on the course.

Y'alls thoughts?

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Feel wise you might noticed a slight difference from the cast to the forged, but for me I would practice with what I play with just for the simple fact that your swing will adapt to clubs. Meaning your the shafts can have different launch characteristics, different weight, etc. Plus i believe those the Diablo's had some crazy lofts so a 7i with one might me a 6i with another. Which in turn can give you false distances on the range that you then in turn take to the course.

• Upvote 1

You bought your new golf clubs to hit golf balls. Thats what they're made to do. Use them for that. Enjoy! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would practice with what you are going to play with, that way you will get accustomed to how they perform so you can know what to expect on the course.

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme Matrix Ozik 7M3

Callaway X Hot Pro Mayrix Ozik 8M3

Callaway X Hot Pro 18* Matrix Ozik HM2

Callaway X Forged 2013 3-PW Project X PXi

Callaway Forged 52* & 58* Project X PXi

Odyssey Versa #9

Callaway HEX Black Tour

It would be very difficult to develop any kind of consistency switching back and forth. As stated above, they are designed to hit balls and unless you are hitting off concrete or throw a club at a tree, the club will be fine.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by David in FL

You bought your new golf clubs to hit golf balls. Thats what they're made to do. Use them for that.

Enjoy!

Awww but they look so nice!!!

Originally Posted by tstrike34

The Dynacrafts are blades whereas my Diablo Edges are forged.

I hope you don't catch too much flak for this comment (you might want to peruse the CAST vs FORGE megathread!)

By the way, what model are your Dynacrafts? I have an old set of Dynacraft Innerdynes that I enjoy practicing with on occasion but I agree with others, you should practice primarily with what you are using on the course.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dkling8

Definitely use the new ones. How about this: if you can truly wear them out, then you can treat yourself to an even newer iron set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I hope you don't catch too much flak for this comment (you might want to peruse the CAST vs FORGE megathread!)

By the way, what model are your Dynacrafts? I have an old set of Dynacraft Innerdynes that I enjoy practicing with on occasion but I agree with others, you should practice primarily with what you are using on the course.

I had not seen that thread. Sounds like a holy war there.

I have Dynacraft Power series. Its a good little blade set.

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

Lol, that is a very good way to describe it. Make sure that if you get involved you wear a helmet.

I don't have a helmet, but I do have floaties.... ;)

Originally Posted by tstrike34

[...]

I really dont want to beat up my new clubs except when at the range or out on the course.

Y'alls thoughts?

I think that most wear and tear that befalls most sets of irons is more bag chatter than the result of hitting balls.

I also reckon that face/groove wear is exacerbated by hitting balls out of the dirt. So, if you're practicing with clean balls from mats at the range, you're good. If you're hitting balls off turf, then keep the face clear of dirt and debris between shots. And if you care more about bag chatter than about looking badass, then get some iron covers

Originally Posted by birlyshirly

I think that most wear and tear that befalls most sets of irons is more bag chatter than the result of hitting balls.

I also reckon that face/groove wear is exacerbated by hitting balls out of the dirt. So, if you're practicing with clean balls from mats at the range, you're good. If you're hitting balls off turf, then keep the face clear of dirt and debris between shots. And if you care more about bag chatter than about looking badass, then get some iron covers

I got head covers for the irons. They were pretty good. Haven't lost them yet LOL.

Note: This thread is 4096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!