IGNORED

Opinion: Happy Herbie commercial

MandyOrangeWhip
Note: This thread is 4086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Cute.  I love the "Directile Dysfunction" line.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, since you asked.....

Frankly, I don't think much of it.    I own an Orange Whip trainer and find it is a very good training tool, but I don't feel the commercial does an effective job of promoting the benefits or stimulating interest.     To me, effective advertising is something that catches the eye; connotes the benefits of the product; creates a desire to associate with the product; and stimulates a call to action by the target audience member.

I think your commercial spent too much time on the first part (trying to get something that catches the eye) but left out the other parts of effective advertising.    It feels to me like one of your creative people had the idea to mimic that old male enhancement commercial (I don't recall the product) with "Smiling Bob", but stuck to the idea to the point where the product is lost in the commercial.    At some point, someone should have said  "Okay, the parody is cute but does this really work for our product?".

You have a good product, and you have a visual image already created with the big orange ball on the end of a stick, and your product name "Orange Whip" matches that image.     You didn't build on this, and I feel in taking such a different tack you've lost some of the key things you can market the product around.

Hey, you asked!!!

I chuckled, but it's not something that would encourage me to buy the product.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Due respect, I thought it was seriously lame.  Herbie looks like a complete jerk.  The "directile dysfunction" line was cringeworthy.  And the whole thing with the cart girl was just creepy.  Having him get hit in a delicate spot with a ball was the best part - until it didn't hurt him, because II wanted Herbie to be hurt at that point, sad to say.

It is almost as if you were playing into all of the worst stereotypes of golf.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Do these orange whip people think golfers connect to morons like Herbie? This add makes me not want to buy your product.

Also: the whip doesn't help you train your puttingstroke, so why are you telling it is? On a scale form 1 to 10 this add rates a 2.

Originally Posted by scv76

lol Reminds me of a male enhancement commercial of a male golfer named Bob...They said he was sporting wood

It's a parody of that commercial.  That's what it was supposed to do.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

There is no humor in Golf! I thought it was great! Could've been a bit shorter and more informational... But people watching the golf channel for example, know of the product, and the branding is there already. Food for thought... Get Ben Crane to make a training video. I'd buy one just to see what he'd do with it in 60 seconds... Or just parody that!

For what it is worth, I too have an Orange Whip but I still thought the add was effective.  If they had gone with the super-duper technology, whiz bang approach that all other golf ads do, it would have been more of the same.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 4086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!