IGNORED

How do I get more swing speed?

Satch
Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are some tips on getting some more swing speed? I feel as if I can swing much faster as I am right now.

In the Bag:

Driver:  10.5 Superfast Burner 2.0

3 Wood:  15 Fairway Launcher

4 Hybrid:  22 Rescue

4-PW Irons:  RocketBallz Irons

Wedges:  588 Reg

Putter:  Backstryke Marxman

Balls:  Z-Star

Glove:  Weathersof

Originally Posted by Satch

What are some tips on getting some more swing speed? I feel as if I can swing much faster as I am right now.

1.) Get one of these...

2.) Visit one of these regularly...

3.) Read this...

4.) Get one of these to record your swing:

5.) Then sign-up here:

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

6.)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1) knowing your swing speed doesn't increase your swing speed :p

2) Quads, hamstrings, gluts, abs; gain power and strength in these areas. Stretch daily, yoga helps as well, more mobility = more energy transfer

3) Hit the center of the clubface properly each time

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

1.) Get one of these...

2.) Visit one of these regularly...

3.) Read this...

4.) Get one of these to record your swing:

5.) Then sign-up here:

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

6.)

Ooooooooooooooor ... Skip steps 1 (you already know you want to swing faster), 2 (unless you are a tiny human like Beachcomber ;)) and 3 (unless you want to become a teacher or make your head explode), then use whatever camera you already have for step 4 (iphone works OK) ... then proceed to step 5.

And then to step 6.

Actually, I'm thinking of getting that speed radar for myself.  I want to do some experimenting with float loading and different types of releases to see how my speed varies.  I think I can unlock another 5 to 10mph just by working on this - especially after watching this dudes Youtube videos....

I agree saevel125 that knowledge alone is not enough. But it cannot hurt. Objective feedback can be very useful.  What do you think expensive golf coaches offer? They offer feedback and advice for the future. True, the Radar device offers no advice but only a measurement of the past. I do question how accurate and consistent this Radar device really is coz someone is certainly trying to sell something here. And to remind everyone, that the vast majority, say 98%, of the best, professional tournament winners,  golfers never used any such device. What do they cost?

My problem with driver swing speed is that I can swing so much faster when there is no ball to hit. I think I could train myself to swing faster, but if my problems arise when I have to hit a ball, I don't know that it would help.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Originally Posted by joekelly

I agree saevel125 that knowledge alone is not enough. But it cannot hurt. Objective feedback can be very useful.  What do you think expensive golf coaches offer? They offer feedback and advice for the future. True, the Radar device offers no advice but only a measurement of the past. I do question how accurate and consistent this Radar device really is coz someone is certainly trying to sell something here. And to remind everyone, that the vast majority, say 98%, of the best, professional tournament winners,  golfers never used any such device. What do they cost?

It's simply a speed radar.  It isn't high technology... Use Google, they are retailing for $100 online.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Ooooooooooooooor ... Skip steps 1 (you already know you want to swing faster), 2 (unless you are a tiny human like Beachcomber ;)) and 3 (unless you want to become a teacher or make your head explode), then use whatever camera you already have for step 4 (iphone works OK) ... then proceed to step 5.

And then to step 6.

Actually I'm being serious with my post.  In my opinion, you need to understand the golf swing, the assembly and levers in order to understand how not to waste energy - and transfer the most amount of power and force into the golf ball.  TGM does an excellent job of highlighting this - especially  understanding the 'endless belt' effect.

The Swing Speed Radar is simply a tool to give yourself realtime feedback on your swing speed.  And as you learn the swing, you can make alterations to find more efficient ways to swing the club.  Very similar to the work done by the gentlemen on the Youtube video I linked.  But just trying to swing faster, you are going to injure yourself - or increase the chance of injury.  So that is why I recommend you workout and get stronger and more flexible as you go.

I do believe that I can increase my clubhead speed with my driver another 5 to 10mph once I ingrain the proper mechanics - and then truly work on the endless belt effect.

Actually I'm being serious with my post.  In my opinion, you need to understand the golf swing, the assembly and levers in order to understand how not to waste energy - and transfer the most amount of power and force into the golf ball.  TGM does an excellent job of highlighting this - especially  understanding the 'endless belt' effect.

The Swing Speed Radar is simply a tool to give yourself realtime feedback on your swing speed.  And as you learn the swing, you can make alterations to find more efficient ways to swing the club.  Very similar to the work done by the gentlemen on the Youtube video I linked.  But just trying to swing faster, you are going to injure yourself - or increase the chance of injury.  So that is why I recommend you workout and get stronger and more flexible as you go.

I do believe that I can increase my clubhead speed with my driver another 5 to 10mph once I ingrain the proper mechanics - and then truly work on the endless belt effect.

I know you were ... so was I.  (In a humorous way, albeit) ;)

To me, if you are practicing with a swing speed radar and just trying to swing faster, you aren't necessarily doing yourself any good at all.  I take a swing, see that it says 107, what am I going to do to "improve?"  Swing harder, right?  That's probably not a good thing.

And as far as the TGM is concerned ... I think your diagram explains my point quite well ... I have no idea what I'm looking at.  And based on what I've heard from Erik and Mike, that book is not really necessary for us as students.  I think a lot of us (not all of us ... some of you guys prefer to get into the nuts and bolts) would be better off leaving those details to the experts.

And golf clubs are really light, so I just don't think that weightlifting is that important to hitting it far.  Correct fundamentals, proper loading of the club, and striving towards the 5 keys is where I believe it's all at.

Which is why my suggestion was to just skip to the lessons.

• Administrator

I disagree. I've said before TGM is outdated and never really contained what I'd call "science." People don't move their hands linearly in the downswing, and even something as simple as where the low point of the hands occurs is wrong in TGM.

I'm squarely in TGM's target market. I'm of an "engineering" type of mind, I don't mind jargon (however made up to be Precise), and I teach golf for a living.

I have two copies of TGM (a seventh and a sixth, and a PDF of the third), but couldn't tell you where both of them are at any given moment. I wouldn't call it worthless, but it's close. Yes, the little yellow book inspired a lot of people, but just skip to the end and read the stuff it inspired - don't read the yellow book.

Now, to answer the question:

• Better sequencing
  • Improved fast twitch muscles
  • SSC (see "better sequencing" too)
  • Stop flipping :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Weightlifting done strictly to increase strength probably won't help increase swing speed but weight lifting can be done as a way to increase flexibility and that will have an effect on swing speed.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Can I jump in here...?

The guys are right... They helped me with my mechanics when I first signed on and gain a serious increase in swing speed (11MPH to be exact).

Eric, Mike, Beach, valley, colin and others have put me in the right frame of mind: work on the mechanics and practice them so that they become 2nd nature, good habits .

If I can say so, I am starting to understand how important tempo is relative to swing speed.

I hope this helps you from my feeble mind.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by iacas

I disagree. I've said before TGM is outdated and never really contained what I'd call "science." People don't move their hands linearly in the downswing, and even something as simple as where the low point of the hands occurs is wrong in TGM.

I have two copies of TGM (a seventh and a sixth, and a PDF of the third), but couldn't tell you where both of them are at any given moment. I wouldn't call it worthless, but it's close.

Erik... On TGM... We'll have to agree to disagree.  I like the book, and have found a lot of useful instruction from it.  And would argue that a lot of the 5SK system has its roots in TGM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

And golf clubs are really light, so I just don't think that weightlifting is that important to hitting it far.  Correct fundamentals, proper loading of the club, and striving towards the 5 keys is where I believe it's all at.

Which is why my suggestion was to just skip to the lessons.

http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Body-Swing-Revolutionary/dp/B0058M5K0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1360123932&sr;=8-1&keywords;=Joey+D+Golf

http://golfgym.com/

If you have the proper equipment - you could do Joey's workouts at home.  For me... I belong to 24hr and it is easy to go in and knock out a workout in 30mins... Mixed in with some cardio to get a good burn.  I think you are making a huge mistake if you try and take on the task of increasing your swing speed - without doing the proper exercises to ensure you don't injure yourself.

Ok, maybe not the gym per se, but certainly a golf focused workout. Check out some of the stretches/exercises they suggest at mytpi.com.....pretty good stuff imo....

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Body-Swing-Revolutionary/dp/B0058M5K0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1360123932&sr;=8-1&keywords;=Joey+D+Golf

If you have the proper equipment - you could do Joey's workouts at home.  For me... I belong to 24hr and it is easy to go in and knock out a workout in 30mins... Mixed in with some cardio to get a good burn.  I think you are making a huge mistake if you try and take on the task of increasing your swing speed - without doing the proper exercises to ensure you don't injure yourself.

Here you go... This is Vijay Singh working with his fitness instructor (he has worked with Joey too).  And they say golfers aren't athletes. LOL

Seems reasonable.  But, to me, the average golfer who is worried about their swing speed has bigger fish to fry.  For somebody like you - a very good amateur - and even pros, there usually isn't any power hiding in there somewhere.  The fundamentals are solid, so the only remaining missing piece is muscle.

But the average golfer, I believe, is losing more (much more) swing speed and power due to the head moving around, weight on their back foot, flipping, casting, bad contact, etc.  By the time they got all of that stuff squared away, they probably won't need to worry about the muscle anymore. :)

Wait, why am I arguing against working out so much?  Oh, maybe it's because I'm lazy and fat and don't want to admit that exercise is good for us?

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!