IGNORED

My Swing (Rapson93)

Rapson93
Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 9 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 28

My typical ball flight is: Slight draw with all clubs

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Block right or pull left

Videos:

Here is my swing in Slow Motion.

And a few in normal speed

I first picked up a club about 9-10 months ago now and only had my first ever lesson on Tuesday night to sort out a horrific swing and grip. This is my new one, so thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

Flare your right foot at address... Looks like your toes are pointing at 12 o'clock - try opening that trail foot to 1 o'clock.  And the front foot should be pointing at 10 o'clock.  This will help setup a better turn on the backswing (right foot) and follow through (left foot).

Also notice how Dave's head at address is looking down at the golf ball.  This ensures the golf ball is in his central vision, by using his foveal system.  You need to have more neck tilt at address (lower your chin toward your chest) so that you can see the ball better.  This will help you stay in balance and hit the ball more consistently.

Make these changes and I'm sure we can keep throwing bits and pieces at you.  But you need to start with the basics first so that we can then lead into the other pieces which are more swing related.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're doing a lot of things right that many first year golfers struggle with. It looks like you stay on plane really well going back and then follow the same plane coming back down. That is something that people spend years and years working out, so that's a big plus.

One suggestion I have is regarding your tempo. It looks like you are a little bit stiff at setup, which makes your swing look somewhat mechanical. Just as a drill, you should try swinging the club back -> through -> back -> through -> back -> through without stopping to see what it feels like for the club to swing more on its own. I find when I do this my grip loosens, and the tension in my shoulders and forearms goes away. Then try to translate this feel into your regular swing.

Thanks for the comments guys. dkling8 I do feel a little stretched and a little stiff at set up but I've only been using this grip and swing for 4 days now since my lesson and hopefully it will come.

Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!