IGNORED

Is Anyone Else Fed Up With "Sir Nick Faldo's" Self Serving English Babbling?

club ho

Put me in the Nobilo fan-club.

I have plenty of grains of salt for Faldo, Feherty, McCord, and Miller -- don't mind them much at all.

Nantz?  ...not a fan.

Originally Posted by club ho

"Sir Nick" (SN) as he insists on being introduced can wear you thin. He reminds me of a big dumb jock with a british accent. He loves to throw in english proverbs that really are not that cute. I would prefer to listen to John Miller tell the way he sees it any day. Today SN was trying to pull the rug out from under VJ Sing siting something to effect that his use of Deer Antler Spray should DQ all of VJ's achievements. VJ has 57 pro wins SN has 41 pro wins. You don't think that he is trying to tear down VJ's superior record in order to raise his achievements on the all time list.

I would love to see NBC replace this pompous English Brat.

VJ's superior record?

Faldo won 3 Green Jackets and 3 Claret Jugs.

Nah, I am only sick of people who complain about golf announcers while having a perfectly good volume control on their TVs which would allow them perfect silence, which is about the only thing that doesn't offend or irritate SOMEONE, if used correctly.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nah, I am only sick of people who complain about golf announcers while having a perfectly good volume control on their TVs which would allow them perfect silence, which is about the only thing that doesn't offend or irritate SOMEONE, if used correctly.

I prefer my golf with commentaries. I could've said that I'm sick of people who complain about other people complaining, but that might backfire.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I like faldo. Nobilo is my favorite though

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator

Such a big dude... Dave and I are not small people.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Any announcer who shows their personality in their commentary will have diverse opinions on whether someone likes it.

I like Faldo. He brings something to the broadcast (besides 6 Majors) the others don't - a good combination of technical expertise & dry British wit. Yeah, he can be a bit full of himself, but most announcers are guilty of that...like McCord, Feherty, Miller aren't?

Far as being called 'Sir Nick' - he earned that. If it's true he demands to be called that, well, that's kinda douche-y if true, but whatever. Like someone posted, it's akin to a person with a medical degree being called Doctor.

Obviously it comes down to personal preference at to what someone likes or doesn't like in their announcers. For me, it comes to this - unless you're adding something to the picture, shut up. For example, I think McCord & his near-sexual 'oooh ahhh' comments on shots are totally unnecessary. His schtick is beyond tiring now.

• Upvote 1

"Sir Nick" (SN) as he insists on being introduced can wear you thin. He reminds me of a big dumb jock with a british accent. He loves to throw in english proverbs that really are not that cute. I would prefer to listen to John Miller tell the way he sees it any day. Today SN was trying to pull the rug out from under VJ Sing siting something to effect that his use of Deer Antler Spray should DQ all of VJ's achievements. VJ has 57 pro wins SN has 41 pro wins. You don't think that he is trying to tear down VJ's superior record in order to raise his achievements on the all time list.

I would love to see NBC replace this pompous English Brat.

I am Scottish, but greatly  disapprove of these political titles.  They have been given to pop stars like Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and Eltom John, so they are thoroughly discredited and an absolute joke. I do not recognise them and never would call someone by such a ludicrous title.

Having said all that, Faldo was number one in the world, and never took performance-enhancing drugs.  Can a certain American, with an animal nickname say the same????  Almost certainly, no.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Any announcer who shows their personality in their commentary will have diverse opinions on whether someone likes it.

I like Faldo. He brings something to the broadcast (besides 6 Majors) the others don't - a good combination of technical expertise & dry British wit. Yeah, he can be a bit full of himself, but most announcers are guilty of that...like McCord, Feherty, Miller aren't?

Far as being called 'Sir Nick' - he earned that. If it's true he demands to be called that, well, that's kinda douche-y if true, but whatever. Like someone posted, it's akin to a person with a medical degree being called Doctor.

Obviously it comes down to personal preference at to what someone likes or doesn't like in their announcers. For me, it comes to this - unless you're adding something to the picture, shut up. For example, I think McCord & his near-sexual 'oooh ahhh' comments on shots are totally unnecessary. His schtick is beyond tiring now.

No, it isn't like calling oneself "doctor".  I am a doctor, and I earned the degree the hard way.  British "knighthoods" are political appointments, and unearned. Please do not confuse the two, sir.

Originally Posted by HighlandLaird

No, it isn't like calling oneself "doctor".  I am a doctor, and I earned the degree the hard way.  British "knighthoods" are political appointments, and unearned. Please do not confuse the two, sir.

If I offended I apologize. Actually it was a poster before me who made the comparison of knighthood to medical degree. So you might want to correct him too.

Originally Posted by iacas

Such a big dude... Dave and I are not small people.

So much for TV adding 20 pounds - it's the opposite for NF. Based on watching him play and announce, I would have thought he was just a average set guy.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I stand corrected and do apologize about knocking the English. It is just that he really leans on the English accent and he really delivers a very light load with his comments.

If you think that he "really leans on the English accent ....." (whatever you mean by that, exactly) then you don't know much about the English and how they speak.

I like Faldo and Miller for different reasons but neither of them is perfect.  Then again, who is .....   And they both speak with the authority that comes from their own achievements over the years, more than can be said of some.

Yes, Faldo is one big fellow as I discovered when he walked past me at Torrey Pines a few years ago in casual clothing, after the broadcast had ended - on his way to a bar more than likely.  I suspect he likes his brew and knows how to unwind.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I am Scottish, but greatly  disapprove of these political titles.  They have been given to pop stars like Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger and Eltom John, so they are thoroughly discredited and an absolute joke. I do not recognise them and never would call someone by such a ludicrous title.

Having said all that, Faldo was number one in the world, and never took performance-enhancing drugs.  Can a certain American, with an animal nickname say the same????  Almost certainly, no.

If you're implying Tiger took PEDs you better back that charge up with something more than conjecture.

And how are you so sure Nick didn't?

Personally, I don't know if either did or didn't. That's why I stay away from speculating one way or the other. I have no idea...and I would guess neither do you.

Then why isn't everyone in England a knight?  As far as I know, Faldo is the only professional golfer to be given the honor.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Then why isn't everyone in England a knight?  As far as I know, Faldo is the only professional golfer to be given the honor.

I wonder how the numbers compare between people getting medical degrees and people winning 6 majors and being the #1 player in the world?   Looking at it that way, yeah, I'm sure that becoming a Dr. is more earned than Nick's knighthood.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I am a doctor, and I earned the degree the hard way...

A Scottish doctor? Fair enough, but (unlike the U.S. where medical doctors have an actual doctorate in the form of a proper M.D.) a typical British doctor's Bachelor's degree in medicine (MBChB / MBBS ) comes with the honorific of "Doctor" rather than the absolute, earned right to the title as is the case with doctoral degrees (M.D., Ph.D. etc). Sorry, but if you must lecture so sternly about "earned" titles...

And for what it's worth, I do think Faldo earned his Knighthood...

Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny

I am a doctor, and I earned the degree the hard way...

A Scottish doctor? Fair enough, but (unlike the U.S. where medical doctors have an actual doctorate in the form of a proper M.D.) a typical British doctor's Bachelor's degree in medicine (MBChB / MBBS) comes with the honorific of "Doctor" rather than the absolute, earned right to the title as is the case with doctoral degrees (M.D., Ph.D. etc). Sorry, but if you must lecture so sternly about "earned" titles...

And for what it's worth, I do think Faldo earned his Knighthood...

You don't get a knighthood for being an actor or playing golf or being a musician. Usually it's actually their charity work or something that gets them consideration.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth