IGNORED

Is Anyone Else Fed Up With "Sir Nick Faldo's" Self Serving English Babbling?

club ho

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

I do Miss Ken Venturi.

Me too, but the one thing that used to infuriate me about Venturi was when a player would hit an approach into a green & he would say, "Now watch - the ball will take two hops then stop."

Yeah Ken. It's called backspin. We get it.

I don't mind Faldo ... could do with less of his quirky Brittish sayings which I'm unfamiliar with, but all in all, enjoy his commentary.    Same for Feherty ... the one liners get old, but every once and a while he comes up with a beauty ... at the last tournament, it was with regard to someone rethinking a low percentage shot "looks like he's had an attack of common sense" - my wife & I were cracking up !!   Johnny Miller is my fave - really like his pull no punches commentary.     Chamblee is my least favorite.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's tough being a golf announcer - too much time with no action to fill. If there were an announcer with the dulcet voice of Morgan Freeman, the charisma of Robin Williams and the golf chops of the greatest TST golfing minds, I'd still get bored... I think.

The second screen is drowning out these announcers more and more. It's more engaging to follow and text people you know and you get additional action and stats. I usually have the volume low during telecasts and half listen to the announcers and have been doing this for some time. After a season or even a couple of tournaments, most announcers start to sound repetitive.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Frank Chirkinian used to always tell his announcers to let the shot speak for itself. If an announcer would say "He hit it in the water," Frank would yell into the announcer's earphone, "They can see that!"

Y'all should lay off on the Faldo bashing. Dudes a frikken' Knight, fights Dragons and stuff

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by nevets88

It's tough being a golf announcer - too much time with no action to fill. If there were an announcer with the dulcet voice of Morgan Freeman, the charisma of Robin Williams and the golf chops of the greatest TST golfing minds, I'd still get bored... I think.

Right. But the other solution to this is simply SHOW MORE GOLF.

I don't care if it's the fifth from the last group and they're ten shots out - show the golf. If nothing else we'll get to see the hole the leaders will face in 30 minutes, and how putts are reacting, and you know, SEE ACTUAL GOLF instead of watching a guy standing in the fairway waiting for the green to clear or something.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Amen, brother. Also, more full shots please and fewer tap ins. I watch pro golf to see people hit shots I can't.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Amen, brother. Also, more full shots please and fewer tap ins. I watch pro golf to see people hit shots I can't.

Very much agree with this.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by club ho

"Sir Nick" (SN) as he insists on being introduced can wear you thin....

Which is more dumb, Faldo 'insisting' he be introduced as a 'Sir' or the other anchors of a network, in a country where such a title doesn't exist and is alleged to be part of a class system this country purports to loathe, actually agreeing to do so???

FWIW, I've never liked Faldo that much but he has grown on me as he's aged. I'll probably grow to like him just as he dies of old age.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I like Faldo, he's a real character and probably fun to quaff a few pints with. I was watching him critique a swing in slow-mo one day and he just blithely plowed on even though the slow-mo video clearly contradicted everything he was saying and then finished the critique with something to the effect of, "I don't really care for those shoes though, they really don't go with that belt."

He won me over with that performance, he's just kind of a big goof.

I also don't know if I buy the claims that he is seriously insistent that everyone call him Sir, he seems pretty laid back.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by iacas

Shawn, you really should just stop. :P

Back on topic now please. For the record, I don't particularly care one way or the other for or about Nick Faldo. Great golfer in his time, of course.

The guy does the requisite work in a very unique way.

I was marshalling at a PGA event a few years back and was there early Saturday morning. Sir Nick showed up at the first tee in running togs with a notebook. He ran the course before the first groups went off, checking all the tee boxes and pin placements, taking notes along the way. I thought that was kind of cool.

Bill M

I don't care if it's the fifth from the last group and they're ten shots out - show the golf. If nothing else we'll get to see the hole the leaders will face in 30 minutes, and how putts are reacting, and you know, SEE ACTUAL GOLF instead of watching a guy standing in the fairway waiting for the green to clear or something.

I was watching some old telecasts and noticed how often split screens were used. With widescreen 16:9 and HD, I don't know why the telecasts don't use this more often.

I also think the networks have only show great shots-itis . If a guy is attempting a difficult escape, it's okay by me if he doesn't hit a miracle shot.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I was watching some old telecasts and noticed how often split screens were used. With widescreen 16:9 and HD, I don't know why the telecasts don't use this more often. I also think the networks have only show great shots-itis . If a guy is attempting a difficult escape, it's okay by me if he doesn't hit a miracle shot.

Some (most?) of the networks still broadcast their SD streams in 4:3, and it seems to be a big no no in the TV biz to cut stuff off the edges for some viewers (even to the point of stupidity, in some cases). Agreed about the "great shot-itis" thing though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Some (most?) of the networks still broadcast their SD streams in 4:3, and it seems to be a big no no in the TV biz to cut stuff off the edges for some viewers (even to the point of stupidity, in some cases).

Ah, I forget how cable broadcasts on SD channels. I go the OTA route and it's always 16:9 on the x.1 channels. I'll have to check the SD channels next time I get to a STB. As is always the case, the technological capacity is there way way before organizational and behavioral and cultural aspects catch up. People hate change, even it's for the better.

Steve

This.

I also would add I want to see if a pro is totally off his game that day. I'm not saying I want to see bad golf but show everything.

As you said, not just the guys in contention.

Yeah, me too.  But sadly I'm the one they show the tap-ins for.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Exactly!  Putting is dull to watch unless the putts means something.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Is there any fuggin' way to get Nick Faldo off the TV? Holy hellfire !!!! He just starts blabbing and he is as full of himself as anyone on earth so he just keeps on like blithering idiot until he starts to make some semblance of a thought