IGNORED

shaft rusting

5ironkid
Note: This thread is 3813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey guys. i took a look at my irons this week before the season begins and noticed some rust spots or something forming. they wre all over my six iron and i took the rough side of a sponge to it. the rust came off, but little tiny dots on the metal were left. im not sure if they are pits or something, i can not really tell. i have some pictures for you guys to look at. do you guys think it would be safe to play with this club? any danger of the shaft snapping? also i am sorry if the pictures are not that clear. it is hard to get the camera to focus on such a small area. thanks for the help!.

My clubs-

Driver- Cleveland XL270 

3 wood- Cleveland XL270 HL 3 wood

hybrid and irons-Cleveland Mashie 3 hybrid 

Adams a4r 4 hybrid-gw

wedges- a4r pw, gw, snakeyes 

Callaway x-series jaws 56 Degree, 60 Degree

putter- Oddessey metal-x 

• Administrator

Small spots aren't anything to worry about. But I'd do what I could to slow down the progression of rust - keep your clubs in dry locations with reasonable air circulation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One danger can be rust inside the shaft. One club mfg rep cautioned against using Sensicore inserts (dampens vibration to hands) if you live in a moist region - the Sensicore membrane will absorb moisture, and could start internal rust.

Same goes with keeping clubs in a freezing garage, and then bringing them into the warm house: condensation can start rust spots.

US military has similar problem in winter climates: soldiers and Marines generally keep rifles outdoors when sleeping in tent to prevent metal "sweating" if brought into warm tents. This assumes, of course, you're sleeping in a reasonably secure area.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 8 months later...

I too have had the same occurrence.  I have only had my new clubs since June!  I used a sponge, soapy water and my finger nail to remove them and they are as good as new now.  I didn't really expect it to happen so fast as we have just had a pretty good summer (in the UK), they are less than 6 months old and I have washed them a few times during the season.

I'm not worried too much about them snapping just yet.

Does anyone have any other ideas on stopping this surface rust happening?  I have read a bit around and WD-40 (the bog standard, non silicon version) is recommended, as above to keep them in a dry place... Has anyone used a chrome cleaning or care product at all?

Unfortunately you more than likely obtained a set of clubs which the shafts came from a poor production process. The spots are caused by impurities absorbed into the chrome.

The rust spots then occur after a duration of exposure to moisture.

They probably will not have problems, but there is a possible chance they may fatigue at some point in time.

Prevention of rust forming on the spots you already have, could be deterred by removing the spots with a fine grade sandpaper (300 grit) and then apply an automotive polish.

There are other issues that have been mentioned which may occur (rust on the interior of the shafts), that could lead to deterioration over an extended period of time.

If you find the rust continues to become more noticeable, then the only option would be to replace the shafts or retire the entire set of clubs.

If you clubs are still under warranty, you would certainly be entitled to replacement.

Most club manufactures are very receptive to returns of their products under these circumstances.

Club Rat

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Cheers,

I think I will get in touch with Mizuno and see what the deal is with the warranty.  Im pretty sure there is a 1 year warranty for manufacturer faults, shaft faults are subjective from what I have read though.

Note: This thread is 3813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!