IGNORED

36+ handicapper ball

Note: This thread is 3411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

say no to mojos and yes to used. i also bought a little ball scoop thing and take a trip around the water and woods on slow days and collect some balls. i actually had a couple hundred found balls that i used for my practice setup in my garage. any ones i didn't like to play i would hit into my net.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

I am surprised nobody has mentioned any Srixon balls.  The Q-star is a very good mid level ball as well. I just bought a couple dozen of the 2013 line that is supposed to have a much improved feel. 2dzn for $40 at my local store...

Hi, yes you are wasting money on any new ball you buy, There are online sites to buy used or "refurbished" golf balls at a fraction of the price of new., as low as $6.00 a dz.. Start with those. The best advise is to get lessons from a PGA pro. NOT YOUR BUDDIES!!!

If you really like the game have your pro help you get fitted for new clubs. Good luck.

20handycapr

Originally Posted by 20handycapr

Hi, yes you are wasting money on any new ball you buy, There are online sites to buy used or "refurbished" golf balls at a fraction of the price of new., as low as $6.00 a dz.. Start with those. The best advise is to get lessons from a PGA pro. NOT YOUR BUDDIES!!!

If you really like the game have your pro help you get fitted for new clubs. Good luck.

20handycapr

Agreed and agreed!  I've been purchasing used golf balls for over 4 or 5 years.  Absolutely NOTHING wrong with used.  No offense, but especially with your skill level (to the OP). . .

Do some research on low spin golf balls.

As far as lessons, even with a PGA pro, make sure they work with what you have, so to speak.  I've dealt with, and have friends who have dealt with pros that want you to swing like someone else.  Hopefully they use video too, big help

My favorite "cheap" ball is the Noodle-Practice. I can't tell any difference from regular Noodles and you can sometimes find them for 2 dozen for $20. These are new balls that have some minor blemish that keeps them from being sold as first quality. Walmart used to carry them in 24 bulk box for about $18-20. I often play Noodles-not the best ball, but reasonable distance and control for not much money.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have also grown fond of the DT Solo--about $20 at Wally World.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I buy the bags of used golf ball that usually contain a variety of brands and I assume a variety of spin control vs distance types. In addition, I find a ton of them in the woods - many of which are the ProV's. The fact that I'm finding so many of ProV's in the woods off the fairways is kind of interesting...

Anyway, I read an opinion that it's a good idea to play with the same brand/type of ball (regardless of whether it's used or new), even if you're just learning the game or a high handicapper as I am. The logic being you take that bit of inconsistency out of the equation. While it makes sense, my feeling is that the lack of skill and experience is way more of an issue so I simply use the ones that are in the best shape on the course and save the rough ones for practice.

Any thoughts?

Jon

Originally Posted by dbuck

I have also grown fond of the DT Solo--about $20 at Wally World.

Agreed. I don't play it very often, but the DT Solo is a pretty good ball for the price.

Originally Posted by JonMA1

Anyway, I read an opinion that it's a good idea to play with the same brand/type of ball (regardless of whether it's used or new), even if you're just learning the game or a high handicapper as I am. The logic being you take that bit of inconsistency out of the equation. While it makes sense, my feeling is that the lack of skill and experience is way more of an issue so I simply use the ones that are in the best shape on the course and save the rough ones for practice.

Any thoughts?

This is great advice.  The only thing in your bag that you use on every single shot is the ball.  If your ball is changing multiple times during a round it will be very hard to get consistency.  I picked up 4dz DT Solo's at a local golf smith for $9 each last week.  Well worth it and perfect for my game.  Regardless of what ball you decide to use make sure you keep it consistent.

Originally Posted by helms20

This is great advice.  The only thing in your bag that you use on every single shot is the ball.  If your ball is changing multiple times during a round it will be very hard to get consistency.  I picked up 4dz DT Solo's at a local golf smith for $9 each last week.  Well worth it and perfect for my game.  Regardless of what ball you decide to use make sure you keep it consistent.

$9 per dozen? I always thought they were more expensive. For that kind of money, it's definitely worth trying. Especially since I don't lose as many this year compared to last year. Thanks.

Jon

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker

Just keep in mind the following:

A new ProV1 will never carry the pond.

A used range ball will always make it over.

This reminds me of the other day...my playing partner and I were out for our usually 9 holer after work and we were basically the only two on the course.  My partner hit his ball close to the tree line on a Par 3.  While looking for his ball, he comes across a brand new ProV1 (literally looked like it just came out of the box).  He was like, "Ohh a ProV, I'm going to save this for the tournament I'm playing in a few weeks from now."  Well, we get to the next tee box and he decided to play the ProV1 because he wanted to crush a drive with it.  As you can see where this story is going, he did indeed crushed it...but with about 30 yards slice right to the middle of the woods never to be seen again.  He brings out a nicked up, used ball and puts it out there about 270 right down the pipe.

I've never purchased an ProV1's because I am a high handicapper but I have come across a few on the course that didn't have a home and without fail, I would lose them a hole or two later!  Every freakin Time!!

My first year, I was buying the 2 dozen NEW Wilsons in a red mesh bag at Walmart for $12.     Went through a crapload of them - it's a plenty good ball for a beginner - it's tough to buy a truly bad ball today - the cheaper balls are all decent enough for the average player.    I still play the Wilson smartcore (nuclear orange) - there's nothing wrong with the ball - it may not work for those with way more game than I do who want more control as opposed to roll out on the greens though ....

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by Mordan

At 36 handicap you might as well play whatever balls you find and spend your money on lessons, range balls and more rounds.

At 10 handicap I try and stick to playing the same type of ball (not brand but class) but to be honest I can't tell that much of a difference. Just stay away from the old rocks and you'll be fine.

X2  This is about the smartest and most honest reply I could come up with.  Heck, I'm a 10 capper or so, and I RARELY buy new balls, especially a $50 box of ProV1's or something similar.

• 9 months later...

1st suggestion- use whatever you can find for free

2nd suggestion- if you are going to use new golf balls don't even bother with premium or even the the mid range balls just buy a big back of pinnacle gold distance or something like the top flite D2 straight. These types of balls have minimal spin and will reduce hooks or slices which will save you the most strokes at your level because your likely not able to access the short game spin of any of the better balls anyway.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Yes...resist the urge that somehow a tour level ball will help any part of your game. I buy used golf balls and like the Nike RZN and Callaway HX Diablo Tour. They are moderately priced and have less spin that helps me stay out of the woods. Also because I hit down on my shorter irons I can't keep thin covered ball in play for more than one round. :nike::callaway:

• 9 months later...
I would suggest that although the specific ball a high handicapper uses may not matter, there is some benefit in consistently using the same ball. At least then you can be confident that any changes in your ball flight etc are due to YOU and your swing, not just because you happened to use a different ball. Its all about confidence...

Callaway Big Bertha V Series 10.5 Driver stiff shaft
Benross Hot Speed 16 deg 3 fw
Callaway XR 22 deg hybrid
Callaway XR 25 deg hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha 6-pw
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 48/54/60 wedges
Odyssey White Hot Pro Havok

I will join the chorus and say do not buy any type of pro tour ball (Prov1, etc.).  I am an 18 HCP and still avoid the high spin tour balls.  If you can find them used that is fine, but whether used or new I would go with balls like the Gamer, TF D2 Straight, Pinnacle Gold, e6, Callaway SS, etc.  Also, as other have suggested, if you can buy a large bag of balls discounted at Walmart or other retailer give it a go, chances are there will be few tour level balls in the bag.  Save your money for a few lessons and practice time at the range.

Note: This thread is 3411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!