IGNORED

Looking to break 10 index this year for first time ever. Need your help

Note: This thread is 4085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you hit the same club differently from the fairway than you do from the tee for a par 3?

• Yes because of the use of a tee, I move the ball up in my stance
    • Yes, because of the tee, I get a different result
    • I try not to, but the result is usually different.
    • Yes, I modify my swing
    • No,, and the result is similar
    • No, and the result is different, like your issue

Hi, Help! I have many good parts of a sub 10 index player (I am at my lowest ever at 11.4). I have solid driving and putting, good chipping, decent woods and solid 6 iron.

However, I have two primary issues that consistently keep me from getting more pars.

1) I average over 4 on par three's ! (rarely on the green in one)

2) I am on in regulation about 3 of 5 after I am on fairway with driver.

Reasons? Yes, my 7 - PW irons to greens as my approach shots, most of the time (80%) the issue is a strong push 10-20 yards right of the flag or a slight fade, albeit good looking contact and flight.

Also, amazingly, I am less consistent off the tee than the dirt  (note my drives are sweet looking draws or they go high and straight, same with my 5 and 7 woods, my 6 iron is constantly high and straight). I know it's hard to evaluate withourt seeing my swing and grip, but if I hit a driver and 6 iron straight, why can't I do it with 7i - pw? The shorter swing plane (or my stance) must do something to create the result????.

If I can get the 7i-pw down, I can be a 7-8 index. Any ideas (without video)?

take a lesson from you local pro.  it will probly cost you anywhere from 35 to 100 for a 30 min to 1 hour session.  from there spend a day a week on the range working on your swing and then anoher day working on your putting and chipping.  i did that last year and wen from a 11.5 to below 9 over the winter.  This year im looking at taking a lesson atleast every 3 weeks.  My goal is below 3.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

How high are you teeing the ball with your irons? As a general rule I only tee it high enough to replicate a perfect lie.....maybe an 8th of an inch above the grass. As an aside.....what length tees are you playing? If you're not pushing up against your distance limits already, I.e. hitting long irons/hybrids into a lot of par 4's, you might consider backing up one set of tees. With a solid game, you'll likely find that your scores change very little while the difference in course rating and slope will drive your index lower.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like you have a flat swing plane, that's why you hit the longer clubs better, they require more of a sweeping swing. The mid-short irons and wedges require the hands ahead of the ball at impact, and that comes from a steeper swing.  If my theory is correct, you are also hitting the shorter clubs a bit on the fat side even on good swings?

Try putting the ball back in your stance with shorter clubs, expect a lower ball flight, but you should still be able to have the ball land softly and hold the green.

Good luck,

+1 on David's comment.  Treat the shot the same for ball position and tee it just enough for a perfect lie.  Practice this at a grass range.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!