IGNORED

2013 Northern Trust Open at Riviera Country Club Discussion Thread including Inside the Ropes Pics and Video!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by WWBDD

From all the photos posted on this thread, it doesn't seem like such an aesthetically pleasing course.

Course was in great shape.  Fairways are like carpet, very healthy.  Are you talking about the way the holes look or condition of the course?  I agree it doesn't have that lush green look but you're not going to find that in most parts of California, except maybe the desert.  Going to have a bit more "natural" look.

The grass is Kikuya, which will stay green longer in the fall, and green up earlier in the spring. Like bermudagrass it will go dormant in the winter.  So the brown you see is just dormant grass.  It's also courser than bermuda.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

EDIT:  I'm checking out this cool feature on pgatour.com called "interactive course map" that is basically a google map of the course with little icons showing who's where on the course.  I notice something I consider to be kind of unusual ...

Between the 1st and 2nd holes there appears to be about 75% of another hole.  It could certainly just be a practice chipping and pitching green, but it seems to also have a couple of hundred yards worth of fairway.  Maybe that's all it is and these are the kind of amenities I'm missing out on by not belonging to a prestigious club like this.

That's the first hole where the tee looks like it's just outside the clubhouse, then #2 runs parallel to it and back to the clubhouse.  In between is a practice short game area and pretty close to where the media center was.  The driving range is to the left of #2.  So from top to bottom, #1, short game area, #2, driving range.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ben Curtis

Bryce Molder

Hunter Mahan

Jeff Maggert

Nicolas Colsaerts

Retief Goosen

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

He doesn't bother me at all.  All I see now is that he is a little jittery and fidgety during his preshot routine.  (Seems appropriate enough seeing as he's a Boston guy, right?  It's very Garciaparra-ish of him :))  And, of course, the glare on the green you posted in your picture.  But, to me, that's nothing.  The only thing that might be slightly annoying about that is the networks' choice to show it every time and comment on it.  But that's not his fault.

Ironically, though, I believe it was after this tournament last year where the media fried him for all of his spitting.  He cleaned that up right away though.

EDIT:  I'm checking out this cool feature on pgatour.com called "interactive course map" that is basically a google map of the course with little icons showing who's where on the course.  I notice something I consider to be kind of unusual ...

Between the 1st and 2nd holes there appears to be about 75% of another hole.  It could certainly just be a practice chipping and pitching green, but it seems to also have a couple of hundred yards worth of fairway.  Maybe that's all it is and these are the kind of amenities I'm missing out on by not belonging to a prestigious club like this.

It may be a spare hole that they put into play when one of the other holes it out of action due to maintenance. I've seen that a bit at club where they have enough room to have an extra (normally fairly short) hole.

Originally Posted by Mordan

It may be a spare hole that they put into play when one of the other holes it out of action due to maintenance. I've seen that a bit at club where they have enough room to have an extra (normally fairly short) hole.

Read my post a few up http://thesandtrap.com/t/64785/2013-northern-trust-open-at-riviera-country-club-discussion-thread-including-inside-the-ropes-pics-and-video/36#post_809959

Mike McLoughlin

I don't know the exact history of Riviera Country Club, but it was previously a prominent equestrian and polo club as well as a championship golf course; the equestrian competitions of the 1932 Olympics were held there. It may be that the space between holes 1 and 2 are the original practice range, and the current range was originally reserved for the horses.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by joekelly

Regarding the nice photos of iron clubs posted by Mike taken at Riviera, are any of the irons shown 'Game Improvement Irons', or are they all 'Blades'?

I think all the bag pics show cavity back irons except for Nicolas Colsaerts and David Hearn.  Depends on what you label the PING S-56 irons, they aren't pure muscle backs. Most pros don't play muscle back irons. Ben Curtis has a full set of game improvement Titleist irons and Russell Henley had game improvement Nike irons I think all the way down to his 6 iron.

Mike McLoughlin

I went today. My first time attending a tournament since Tiger's event in late 2010. Had a great time; watched the #15 green for a while and saw the last half dozen or so groups come through there. I asked a member if the green is usually this tough; his answer was that the pin would never be there for member play.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I've got a good feeling about Schwartzel today. Last 6 finishes: 2-1-1-2-3-5.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Figured Haas would struggle today, too much pressure defending the title.  Seems the course is playing tough and no one wants to step up and take it.  3-4 way playoff will be interesting.

Joe Paradiso

I think I just mis-heard on the TV: first they were talking about Corey Pavin, then they said no Los Angeles player has ever won this event. I thought Corey Pavin - born in L.A., went to UCLA - would fit that description. Did I miss something? (I'm watching the CBS stream linked at pgatour.com if it makes a difference, but it feels and looks like a TV broadcast)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think I just mis-heard on the TV: first they were talking about Corey Pavin, then they said no Los Angeles player has ever won this event. I thought Corey Pavin - born in L.A., went to UCLA - would fit that description. Did I miss something? (I'm watching the CBS stream linked at pgatour.com if it makes a difference, but it feels and looks like a TV broadcast)

I heard that. I knew Pavin went to UCLA, but was he also an LA native?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Shindig

I think I just mis-heard on the TV: first they were talking about Corey Pavin, then they said no Los Angeles player has ever won this event. I thought Corey Pavin - born in L.A., went to UCLA - would fit that description. Did I miss something?

(I'm watching the CBS stream linked at pgatour.com if it makes a difference, but it feels and looks like a TV broadcast)

Corey was born in Oxnard.  I don't think that's considered L.A., it's a bit far north.

I'm watching the same CBS stream, it's the exact same as watching it on CBS's broadcast..

Thanks. I guess Oxnard is a bit further north than I remember.

-- Michael | My swing! 

anyone hear the crowd cheer for Beljan's putt on 18 like 3-4 minutes before CBS showed it - it happened while Schwartel was hitting his 2nd shot to 17th....only thing is that CBS didn't mention that Beljan's putt was from a few minutes ago and showed it as being "live"......there's something not so truthful about that in the telecast. It wasn't live.

Glad to see Merrick win.

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!