IGNORED

The "Hope" and the "Clambake".

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 4085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe it's just me but I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about the tournament at Pebble Beach. We both agreed that it's just not as cool as it used to be. It seems like the celebrities back in the 70's and 80's were bigger names and were much more fun to watch. The same thing goes for the Humana. When Bob Hope was around, this tournament was awesome! The field was much better.  Granted, everyone gets old and things have to change at some point, but it's sad to see what these tournaments have become. I have read some other posts about not watching until Sunday (the At&t;) which I completely understand. It just seems to me that the events have lost some class. I 'm curious as to what you guys (and gals) think.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I kinda agree. Seems like Pebble was alot more fun to watch in the past. I like the idea of having "Personalities" out there and now it just seems like alot of the proam partners are simply rich guys who happen to be friends with one of the pros.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

• Administrator
Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

I kinda agree. Seems like Pebble was alot more fun to watch in the past. I like the idea of having "Personalities" out there and now it just seems like alot of the proam partners are simply rich guys who happen to be friends with one of the pros.

I think that in the past, the "personalities" were just as big (maybe even bigger), but they reserved all of their tomfoolery and jackassery for after the golf, at night, when the cameras weren't around.

In the past I think the celebrities cared a lot about the golf, not just hamming it up. So rounds didn't take fifteen hours, etc.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In the past there were more true "celebrities, not so many corporate big shots that nobody ever heard of.   Both tournaments have become more like 4 days of the typical Wednesday pro-am, and that's just a bore.  Pebble beach should host a top tier tournament, not the travesty that the former "Crosby" has become, with only a US Open once every decade or so like tossing the dogs a bone.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

There were more Hollywood folks too. Now there are a lot of athletes and coaches, etc.  They tend to ham it up less.  Still, February stinks in New England and I watch to see some green grass.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by Fourputt

In the past there were more true "celebrities, not so many corporate big shots that nobody ever heard of.   Both tournaments have become more like 4 days of the typical Wednesday pro-am, and that's just a bore.  Pebble beach should host a top tier tournament, not the travesty that the former "Crosby" has become, with only a US Open once every decade or so like tossing the dogs a bone.

Totally agree with all of the posters above, but especially this.

Well said Clambake. You are absolutly right, those days are sadly gone. Even this week we will get reminded of golf's cooler time when they play Rivera (Hogan's Alley).

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Originally Posted by Fourputt

+1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/14/namutavy.jpg[/IMG] Just found this in the closet.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It's always so sad to witness the passing of an era. Nostalgia is truly one of life's greatest emotions.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

That's very cool.   What is it embroidered onto?

One of the cool traditions Bing did with the tournament was to commission special whiskey decanters for each year's event (keeping with the theme that the Clambake was really just one big drinking party).    Here's one I have from the 1970 tourney.    There is a little shop at Pebble right beside the pro shop called "Links from the Past" and they have quite a few of these they sell for $200-500.    I found mine on eBay for $15.        They still do these each year for the AT&T;, but they just aren't as classy or interesting looking as the decanters from Bing's day.

• Administrator

Nice, TourSpoon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nice, TourSpoon.

Thanks. It's an old black hat with a brown suede brim. [IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/14/a2uzuqy5.jpg[/IMG]

Besides all the great background that Clambake provided I think one of the major shifts has been the wealth available to the pro golf ranks.  Back in the '30's, 40's and 50's a tour pro made a good but modest living - good by average man wages but not the millions of dollars seen today.  Movie stars and other celebrities had such immense wealth by everyday standards that they could afford to host a tournament and pay the prize money - 1st prize in the 1960 Crosby was $4,000.  The math is simply too different these days - top tour pros make millions in winnings and many times that in endorsements.  Instead of traveling from tournament to tournament in a nice Buick or Cadillac they have their own private jets.  In other words - they have joined the top ranks of celebrities.

I took a look at the 1975 tour winners on Wikipedia - the year I was 15.  The west coast tournaments were dominated by celebrity names - Andy Williams, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Jackie Gleason (Florida), Dean Martin, Glen Campbell. And top prize for the year was a whopping $52k at The Jackie Gleason Inverrary Classic.  Used to watch a lot of golf back then with my dad and really miss these classic tournaments.  Of course I miss persimmon woods and balata golf balls too.  Sigh.

Note: This thread is 4085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!