• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cipher

Johnny Miller: Ben Hogan's Real Secret

34 posts in this topic

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I should clarify, please do not post what you think Ben Hogan's secret was.  There are plenty of dead end posts for that.  The what do you think, is in regards to the tip.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I think that was just an idiosyncrasy Hogan had that other people have followed. Getting to that finish position might help someone who fights the hooks straighten out their ball flight though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he doesn't know why that helped (if it helps at all, or really is just an idiosyncrasy). Well... clearly he didn't, because he doesn't know ball flight laws. Maybe trying to get to that follow through promotes a slight out to in, which leads to a fade... but not because it opens the face. Either way, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by onephenom

I think he doesn't know why that helped (if it helps at all, or really is just an idiosyncrasy). Well... clearly he didn't, because he doesn't know ball flight laws. Maybe trying to get to that follow through promotes a slight out to in, which leads to a fade... but not because it opens the face. Either way, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yeah what is funny about it is that he describes it as if the follow through motion and how you hold your club at the end is what promotes the shot shape.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

The picture they used on the Golf Magazine iPad app version isn't even Hogan. It's a picture of Jack Fleck.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how much he got paid for that?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I wonder how much he got paid for that?

If he gets paid to give bad advice, why can't I get paid for giving good advice?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by onephenom

I think he doesn't know why that helped (if it helps at all, or really is just an idiosyncrasy). Well... clearly he didn't, because he doesn't know ball flight laws. Maybe trying to get to that follow through promotes a slight out to in, which leads to a fade... but not because it opens the face. Either way, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't understand. Isn't he saying that finishing with the palm facing the target likely to open the face and therefor create a cut. I would agree with that. And why do you say he doesn't understand the ball flight laws?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by logman

I don't understand. Isn't he saying that finishing with the palm facing the target likely to open the face and therefor create a cut. I would agree with that. And why do you say he doesn't understand the ball flight laws?

Having the clubface open doesn't create a cut. Having an out to in path does. So he doesn't understand the http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK then.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having the clubface open doesn't create a cut. Having an out to in path does. So he doesn't understand the [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws]http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws[/URL]

A cut can be hit with any path. The face simply needs to be open to that path.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by shortstop20

A cut can be hit with any path. The face simply needs to be open to that path.

Sorry, no that's not true. Read the ball flight laws posted above

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Originally Posted by onephenom

Sorry, no that's not true. Read the ball flight laws posted above

Shortstop is correct, the path is all that matters. I can aim off the planet and still hit a fade/cut as long as my face is open to the path.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by shortstop20

A cut can be hit with any path. The face simply needs to be open to that path.

Originally Posted by onephenom

Sorry, no that's not true. Read the ball flight laws posted above

It is true. And given a path of whatever, a face that's "open" to it will produce a cut. It's not a bad article - it's just one I don't think most golfers need (since most golfers hit cuts or slices already).

The path only has to be "out to in" relative to the face. Which is the same as saying face open to path.


Again, for a year or so now, we're trying to use words the way they tend to be heard:

Relative to target we'll say right or left.

Relative to path we'll say open or closed.

So to hit a playable draw (for a RHG), there are two ways to say it:

1) The clubface is right of the target, with the path farther to the right.

2) The clubface is right of the target, but closed to the path.

Reverse for a playable fade.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I think the article is actually pretty bad, because it describes the follow through basically as the reason for the fade.  What he is getting at may be accurate but he never says it.  Any weekend duffer trying to make sense of it, I think would be confused.  What the follow through basically promotes is holding the face open longer in relation to the swing path, but he never says that or offers any explanation as to what doing something after you have already hit the ball has an affect on how the ball moves.  I agree that it is kind of a useless tip even if he had presented it correctly, because most people already hit fades.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Well it develops a feel, a Hogan might have felt he had to get to that position to hold off his hook that he battled with. So he wasn't trying to feel impact, but just ending up at a position in the finish that got the shot he wanted.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by onephenom

Sorry, no that's not true. Read the ball flight laws posted above


LOL. The ball doesn't have a clue what kind of path it has been hit with, whether it be inside-out or outside-in because the ball doesn't know what your stance line is. It reacts based on whether the face is open, square or closed to the path.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Golf Evolution
  • Posts

    • Finding Value in The Used Club Market
      On Craigslist around Phoenix we used to see loads of irons in the early part season because people would buy clubs they can't hit *cough* blades *cough*, or just clubs that weren't fitted or they didn't like and then sell them. That's how I got my nikes before they were stolen.   I don't buy into the new distance drivers and such, but the forgiveness is definitely a major improvement. I take my old Wooden Woods to the range every once in a while and not only do misfits cause massive distance loss, they just fly horrible as well. The new stuff is definitely helpful to worse players but if Ben hogan could drive a wooden club over 300 then why is it so impressive to driver a super forgiving driver over 300? idk, just my $0.02
    • Injury Question
      With my insurance I can't afford a MRI.  I got one for my rotator cuff a 2 years ago and my insurance only paid $80 of the bill .  I'm still paying the bill since its either pay off it quickly and struggle with my school loans or pay it off slowly and pump more money into those things I used for school.  Without an MRI, I'm not sure how much help a doctor would be able to give me.
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Everyone gets double bogeys. Even the pros. The pros just don't get them often.  We all have blow up holes. Mine tend to come in pairs. Then I'll settle down and hit "the shot." I consider an 8 a blow up hole. It's usually the result of a bad tee shot. Although on a real fast green once it was the result of a four putt.... in a tournament.... when I missed a 1 foot putt. Another thing we tend to do is try to do quick fixes during our rounds. Don't. They don't work. Play with the game you have. Fix your problem at the driving range later. If your driver is in the woods constantly, leave it in the bag for the round, and practice with it on the range. Hit an iron off the tee if you need to keep the ball in play. 
    • Injury Question
      Okay, so this isn't exactly something recent.  In fact its something I did in August, that seems like it just doesn't want to heal completely. The injury in question occurred on my downswing on August 7th, it felt as those I pulled every muscle from underneath my arm pit to the bottom of my ribs.  I gingerly tried a few swings after that and why it was tender I guess endorphins got me through the rest of the round (2 holes).  I probably should have taken a few weeks off to let everything heal after this, but seeing how I had lost 70lbs over the course of 4 months and would go onto lose 130+ lbs by October (mostly through golf) I was kind of blinded by the motivation to keep pushing myself.  I played with severe discomfort for a couple of weeks, and then it kind of faded though it felt tight to make a reaching movement with my left arm. Now months later, the pain is basically gone when it comes to golf, but every now and again if I do some unknown action with my swing I get what feels like popping sensation and the discomfort comes back for that swing.  The tightness when reaching never really went away either.  Most of the time it isn't a problem, its just something that occasionally bothers me and I was wondering if anyone has had something similar?  I'm currently trying to strengthen the muscles around that area to see if responds to what eventually got me over a partially torn rotator cuff.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. onthehunt526
      onthehunt526
      (29 years old)
  • Blog Entries