IGNORED

Lydia Ko's hips turns *backwards* for just a teeny bit past A7 - thoughts?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't remember where I saw this mentioned, but check out the slow motion around 45 seconds in, her hips don't just stall, they counter-rotate! I think I also read somewhere, McIlroy has a similar move.

Thoughts, comments? Is this a result of impact conditions?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It didn't look like counter-rotating to me but she certainly stalls during the impact zone.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

They definitely slow down. One plausible reason could be because they have opened so much from A5 to A7 that the rest of the body needs to catch up before they can begin accelerating again. Robert Garrigus does this, his hips open up so much they then appear to stall and then begin to speed up again.

Michael

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mchepp

They definitely slow down. One plausible reason could be because they have opened so much from A5 to A7 that the rest of the body needs to catch up before they can begin accelerating again. Robert Garrigus does this, his hips open up so much they then appear to stall and then begin to speed up again.

Yeah, it's basically that - the hips have opened so far, the torso needs to accelerate so much against it, and enough muscular force is generated that the hips effectively stop for a split second. The hips are basically the "platform" against which the torso rotates. Imagine replacing the hips in that instant with a lazy suzan - they'd actually spin backwards.

You see this in Rory's swing as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

She's also not banking the right foot, the heel lift pretty quickly and it looks like she has to pause to maintain the spine angle (the right leg has to stay bent to compensate for the heel lifting early).

Note: This thread is 4086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!