IGNORED

Chipping, Open or Square to Target?

cipher
Note: This thread is 3973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How do you stand in relation to your target when chipping?

• Square to target.
    • Open to target.

From Utley's book "The Art of The Short Game", he mentions chip shots in his opinion should be played with the stance square to the target.  I know that I do not play them this way and most that I know play them open.  How do you do it?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I first started playing golf in a college class, our instructor said a chipping stance was all preferential. I was told that an open stance prevents your lower body from swaying or even moving because chipping should mostly be an upper body thing. I'm not sure the accuracy of that, but opening my stance does keep my lower body more stable. I also chose an open stance because it's what felt comfortable in that type of shot.

I also find that the longer the chip and going to a pitch, my stance starts to become more square.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I use both depending on what I want to accomplish. The club choice, lie, trajectory and more all figure into it. Don't have just one chip shot.

Dave :-)

I like Utley's method, I chip from a square stance with the ball and weight forward. I used to chip from an open stance with the ball off my back foot, this gave me good consistent contact but I always had directional issues/inconsistencies. Since switching to square I find my lines are much more reliable. No right or wrong here, you see both on the tour so I guess just go with what gives you the most confidence.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Until recently, I chipped exclusively from an open stance. However, after a recommendation from my teacher, I switched to square. His logic was that because chipping and pitching are basically the same motion of your swing, just on a smaller scale, that I should chip as I would line up for a regular, full swing.

Helps ingrain proper impact positions, too. At least for me.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I stand square.

I do open of if I need to open the club face and try to pop it up.  For example, if the green is sloping away and I dont think I can stop it with a normal set up.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by jbishop15

Until recently, I chipped exclusively from an open stance. However, after a recommendation from my teacher, I switched to square. His logic was that because chipping and pitching are basically the same motion of your swing, just on a smaller scale, that I should chip as I would line up for a regular, full swing.

Helps ingrain proper impact positions, too. At least for me.

Makes sense,  the more I think about this, the more I would like to try squaring up my stance a bit.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Just a little open.  But then I align a little open on my full swing too.  I'm older and not as flexible as I once was, and find that an open stance helps me clear my hips a little better.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Just a little open.  But then I align a little open on my full swing too.  I'm older and not as flexible as I once was, and find that an open stance helps me clear my hips a little better.

I'm in the same exact boat!  I am between the two pictures, not as open as the picture on the left, but not square like the photo on the right.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Like some of the other posters, I am typically square to the target. I feel this allows me to really keep my weight on the front foot, which keeps me from the dreaded thin or fat chip. I will open up sometimes if I need to hit it high and land soft.

Depends upon what kind of shot Im trying to hit.  Im I want a low, running shot; I will play it back in my stance and open up my stance to prevent me from coming from the inside.  If I want to play a high chip that lands soft, I will square up my stance and play the ball forward in my stance.  The reason for that is because with the ball forward in my stance, I dont need to open up my stance because the ball is far enough forward that even if I come from the inside a bit, by the time the club hits the ball its pretty square.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator

I need an "it depends" option.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Spencer6392

I have a question I have a straight slice what ideas does anyone have on tips to keep the clubface squared or how I can turn my straight slice into a fade or draw

Can you please post this in another thread that is either discussing this, or start a new thread under Instruction and playing tips?

Originally Posted by iacas

I need an "it depends" option.

I should have put a both/it depends option on the poll.  Sorry about that guys.  That may have been pretty equal to the open stance results I think.

Nate

No worries, it happens.  Hope you get your questions answered.

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

"It all depends" is the key comment for me. I am a relatively new serious golfer. What does that mean? Well, I am 49 andI have played golf throughout my life but like once or twice a year to drink beer with friends and generally hang out. Golf for me was a reason to drive golf carts while drinking in the sun and telling bad jokes, smoking good cigars and generally getting my ya-yas out. Then in 2010, I decided I wanted to give this game a shot.

For me, chipping is one of the most "fun" aspects of the game. Sure, who doesn't like a great long drive. I like 'em. Yet, chipping is special. It is a feel.

I have learned that the more I need to open up the face on a 60 or 54 degree wedge, the more open my stance. I learned that if I line up the lines/gooves on the wedge to be perpendicular to the target line and open up my stance AND ensure that the handle moves along the line made by my feet, waist and shoulders, the clubface comes nice onto the ball and I get a nice high "pop" up onto the green with backspin. I love this shot. The flop. It feels great

OR, I will stand almost square and and put the ball in the middle or slight forward in my stance and use the "hinge and hold" and the ball also "pops" out high but not a flop. If I have a square stance and put the ball back in my stance, (right handed) toward my right foot, then I get more of a bump and run shot.

JBC

• 1 month later...

I wanted to ask this question, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I have a similar question.. I went with a friend for the first time to a driving range and I saw him chipping in a completely open stance. He said that this was taught to him by a Korean professional. When I say completely open, I mean his toes were facing the direction he wanted to hit; the toes of both his feet. I've seen people hitting in both slightly open and square, but I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this. The right side of his right foot was facing the ball and he was swinging with his arms only on his right side, going back and then swinging front. Has anyone else heard of this before?

Note: This thread is 3973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!