IGNORED

910D2, good or bad for a 36 handicapper

Note: This thread is 4029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought at 9.5* 910D2 last year and hit it good some days and bad others. I m a very high handicap and wonder if the club is hurting me more than its helping. I sometimes get carried away and only look at price and see it cost a lot and a lot of pros use it so it should make me better. I have finally realized that those things are irrelevant and that practice is what makes me better, not buying the most expensive club and trying to buy what the pros use. So is the 910D2 OK for me to be using. Is it considered to be a high handicapper club or is it a harder driver for to it as compared to others. I am wondering if I should sell it or trade it in towards something else, and not be worried about the brand or price but one that will help me when I do mishit. Or soninstick with the 910 D2 and juat practice with it. I sont even adjust the aettings because my swing is too inconsistent ao i feel i am not even getting full use out of it. Would seeing a pro club fitter for my driver make sense even as high handicapper? Would adjusting the settings make a difference at the skill level i have or do i have to be more consistent for adjustments to make a difference? I hope this post makes sense to you guys.

Taylor Made R1 10.5 degrees Neutral Setting

Taylor Made RocketBallz Stage 2 3 Wood 15 degrees

Titleist 910h 19 Degree B-1 Setting

Titleist AP1 712 4-GW

Titleist Vokey Wedges S4 54.8 & 58.11

Ping Scottsdale TR Anser2 Putter

Titleist Velocity Ball

Well, most guys on this forum have fallen victim to the popular, good-looking, new model golf club a time or two .

I wouldn't consider your club to be harsh or punishing, but if you are not consistent, a more forgiving driver may help you develop a more relaxed rhythm and better tempo as you won't be stressed out about it.

I would consider looking for something more like a Ping K15 or G20.  They are known for their playability. They are respectable and well made.

The age old argument is whether the problem is the Indian or the Arrows.  The truth is while it is the arrow on rare occasions, the Indian needs to take a few lessons. It can be intimidating, but it is worth it to learn what makes a good swing good.

A couple of guys who on this site developed the 5 Simple Keys that is being marketed by Medicus Golf. Everything I have seen from it is a great explanation of what makes a good golf swing and how to develop it: steady head, weight forward at impact, hands forward, great swing path, and club head control.

The good news is that if you decide to sell your 910 you should do pretty well on it if it is in good shape.

Let us know how things go for you.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Jesus, no offense guys but do you read your posts before hitting submit? Typos happen, no problem, but when your post is just one long string of typos it makes me wonder if you have the attention to detail required to build a decent golf swing. Just take a quick look before hitting submit. Seriously, please. You're much more likely to get some interesting feedback with a legible post.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My apologies, I was typing on my iPhone with 30mg of OxyContin running through me around midnight as I prepare for back surgery. I will do a better proof reading job In the future. As for the club thought, one more question, at what point( handicap or skill level) do adjustable drivers make sense? Where do you have to be in your game for these adjustability options to make a difference? I'm guessing if I could make 15-20 consistent center club face hits in a row then I could start adjusting as I would have a pretty good baseline. Thoughts?

Titleist AP1 712 4-GW

Titleist Velocity Ball

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Jesus, no offense guys but do you read your posts before hitting submit? Typos happen, no problem, but when your post is just one long string of typos it makes me wonder if you have the attention to detail required to build a decent golf swing.

Just take a quick look before hitting submit. Seriously, please. You're much more likely to get some interesting feedback with a legible post.

Whst fo you mesn? Do I resd it snd it lookd gine to me.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by cwaldo5252

I bought at 9.5* 910D2 last year and hit it good some days and bad others. I m a very high handicap and wonder if the club is hurting me more than its helping. I sometimes get carried away and only look at price and see it cost a lot and a lot of pros use it so it should make me better. I have finally realized that those things are irrelevant and that practice is what makes me better, not buying the most expensive club and trying to buy what the pros use. So is the 910D2 OK for me to be using. Is it considered to be a high handicapper club or is it a harder driver for to it as compared to others.

I am wondering if I should sell it or trade it in towards something else, and not be worried about the brand or price but one that will help me when I do mishit. Or soninstick with the 910 D2 and juat practice with it. I sont even adjust the aettings because my swing is too inconsistent ao i feel i am not even getting full use out of it. Would seeing a pro club fitter for my driver make sense even as high handicapper? Would adjusting the settings make a difference at the skill level i have or do i have to be more consistent for adjustments to make a difference? I hope this post makes sense to you guys.

The only mistake you made was buying a 9.5 instead of a 10.5.

Turn it up to 11 (the 10.5 goes to 12) and it will be more useful to you. (and set it to .5 degrees closed too)

Everyone (especially newbies) should buy an adjustable driver so they can grow with it. You will get many years out of this driver if you use the adjustments as your swing improves.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

My apologies, I was typing on my iPhone with 30mg of OxyContin running through me around midnight as I prepare for back surgery. I will do a better proof reading job In the future.

As for the club thought, one more question, at what point( handicap or skill level) do adjustable drivers make sense? Where do you have to be in your game for these adjustability options to make a difference? I'm guessing if I could make 15-20 consistent center club face hits in a row then I could start adjusting as I would have a pretty good baseline. Thoughts?

I think of adjustable drivers as an aid in the fitting process.  Finding the right loft, lie, clubface angle to match your swing and the shaft.  I don't necessarily think that they're best used to attempt to modify your ball flight to suit an individual course or daily conditions.  In other words, once the club is fit and set, it should be left alone unless your swing changes dramatically enough to require a tweak.......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I recently just picked up the same club, got a used one in like new condition for a good price.  I would imagine that being able to adjust the loft and club face should help us, lets just say "compensate" for some of the flaws in our swing.  I'm not saying saying that it is a miracle cure or anything  but I know I stuggle with closing my clubface and the little hlep the club gives has made some difference.  Granted i'm still working on several issues with my swing but I'll take any help I can get.

It's a great driver.  You don't say what shaft you have in it, what your swing speed is, or what your miss is.  The shaft may be too much or too little for you, but it's a great head.  You say you haven't adjusted it yet ...  Get that wrench out and start playing with different settings to find one that likes your swing.  Those settings make a difference.

Assuming your miss is a fade/slice, try some of the high draw settings.

07 Burner Draw Driver 10.5 is a 36 Handi's best friend off the tee.

Four 5 Stand Bag Blue   PRO V1X

910 D2 9.5° - Diamana Kal'li 65g S

RBZ Stage 2 15° - Diamana Kal'li 72g S  

913H 21° /  910H 24° - Diamana Kal'li 82g S

710 AP2 6-PW - Dynamic Gold S300SL

Vokey Spin Milled 09  56° &  60° 

#1 White Hot 34" - Ionic Grip

My Swing  

My miss when I do is a bad hook. I have pretty much cured the slice. I have never even had my swing speed or spin rate or anything checked before. Maybe I will start there tomorrow at golf galaxy. As for the shaft I have to check but its x-stiff stock one that came with it. Thanks for the input from everyone. I truly appreciate you guys taking time to respond to my questions! Chris

Titleist AP1 712 4-GW

Titleist Velocity Ball

My miss when I do is a bad hook. I have pretty much cured the slice. I have never even had my swing speed or spin rate or anything checked before. Maybe I will start there tomorrow at golf galaxy. As for the shaft I have to check but its x-stiff stock one that came with it.

Thanks for the input from everyone. I truly appreciate you guys taking time to respond to my questions!

Chris

I don't think I've ever heard of that.  A "stock" x-stiff shaft?

FWIW, I hit big ugly hooks sometimes and this ... http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/30_30#post_807110 ... prevents me from doing it.  You might want to try it. :)

I'm a 20 h'cap and have only been playing for a year.  Don't feel bad about going for the best driver out there whilst being a high capper - I now have 6 drivers!  That said, the 910 D2 in a 10.5 regular Aldila 60 shaft is my new favorite.  It's the straightest and nearly the longest (RBZ is the longest) of all my drivers.  Only thought I would add (and it's already been said) is to adjust it up to 10.5 degrees.  You have a great driver that you should enjoy.  You can also compensate for whatever your miss is with other adjustments.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't think I've ever heard of that.  A "stock" x-stiff shaft?

Probably the ahina 72 X.  That's what I have in mine; the bigger golf shops will keep a few of them on the shelf.  It's a low launch, super low spin shaft.  Not exactly designed with a 36 handicapper in mind.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Probably the ahina 72 X.  That's what I have in mine; the bigger golf shops will keep a few of them on the shelf.  It's a low launch, super low spin shaft.  Not exactly designed with a 36 handicapper in mind.

Ha ... I have that exact one (but in stiff) in my d3 :)

Guys I am an idiot. I do have a 10.5* head with a Diamana ,ahina 72 Low-Mid flex-S. current setting is A1 cause like I said I have not messed with the adjustments because I still don't make the most consistent contact every swing. But my miss is a major hook when I do. I am sure that will improve some with more consistently striking in the unfair center. My swing speed is 107. Is my current shaft OK for me and should I mainly focus ones sons for now. Or is this just a bad shaft for me to be using regardless?

Titleist AP1 712 4-GW

Titleist Velocity Ball

Driver should be fine but don't use it or operate heavy equipment while on pain meds since you were clearly out of it during your original post.

Guys I am an idiot. I do have a 10.5* head with a Diamana ,ahina 72 Low-Mid flex-S. current setting is A1 cause like I said I have not messed with the adjustments because I still don't make the most consistent contact every swing. But my miss is a major hook when I do. I am sure that will improve some with more consistently striking in the unfair center. My swing speed is 107. Is my current shaft OK for me and should I mainly focus ones sons for now. Or is this just a bad shaft for me to be using regardless?

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

While at GG this weekend getting fitted for my putter I also talked to a pro there about drivers. I told him I currently had the 910D2 and told him about how I play and my inconsistency. He told me I had a great driver but he recommended I switch to an R11s. He said that I would hit the Titleist further but the Taylor made was more forgiving and I would keep the ball in play more. Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

Titleist AP1 712 4-GW

Titleist Velocity Ball

Note: This thread is 4029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!