IGNORED

Favorite Robert Trent Jones Course

tpj070
Note: This thread is 3983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you have played any courses on the RTJGT which one was your favorite? I played Capitol Hill in Prattville and played the Senator which is a links style course with over 160 bunkers. They have some good specials going on till March 10 might go play Highland Oaks course since its only 150 mile drive.

Bag:  ping.gif Hoofer

Driver: titleist.gif 910D2 9.5* Ahina 72

Irons: titleist.gif AP2 712

Hybrid: adams.gif Idea A12 19*

Wedges: cleveland.gif 58* vokey.gif 52*

Putter:  odyssey.gif DFX 2 Ball Blade

I've played Ross Bridge in Birmingham, Hampton Cove near Huntsville, Lakewood in Fairhope and the Legislator Course at Capitol Hill in Prattville.  They are all first-class and affordable, but my favorite of the bunch has been Ross Bridge, which has a great resort hotel on property.

The Senator Course you played at Capitol Hill has hosted the Navistar LPGA Classic for the last few years, which was won by Stacey Lewis in 2012 and Lexi Thompson in 2011, but it lost its sponsorship this year.

If you live in Georgia, the RTJ course in Opelika, Grand National, is the closest to you.  Also, if you plan on playing the RTJ courses fairly often, you might want to send the $40 to buy an RTJ Trail Card since you get a good discount each time you tee up:  http://www.rtjgolf.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=139

I've only played one -- Hominy Hill in Colts Neck, NJ -- but it's my all-time favorite course. I love the design.

All the golfers who have played longer than 15 years tell me the course was an absolute gem in the 1980s and 1990s, and is now a shadow of its former self. Since I never got to experience that, I find it pretty awesome.

It hosted US Am sectionals in like 1991 and 1992 I think for NJ. Here are some highlights of the place in March.

Hole 18 kind of reminds me of Augusta's 18th (Holly).

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That does have a resemblance with that dogleg right and bunkers out to the left

Bag:  ping.gif Hoofer

Driver: titleist.gif 910D2 9.5* Ahina 72

Irons: titleist.gif AP2 712

Hybrid: adams.gif Idea A12 19*

Wedges: cleveland.gif 58* vokey.gif 52*

Putter:  odyssey.gif DFX 2 Ball Blade

I live in Winston-Salem, NC, and have played Tanglewood many times. Trevino won the '74 PGA there. While at Turf School at NC State, I worked at the course at Duke. Both are good courses. Fairly generous off the tee, but much tougher around the greens.

Played all three courses at Prattville.  I really enjoyed all three.  In order I enjoyed the Judge, Legislator, and Senator.  The Senator was fun, but not when you hit it off of the fairway.  That high grass might as well have been water.

We also drove over and played both courses at Grand National, Links and Lakes.  Both were phenomenal.

All in all it was a great trip.  We are probably heading back again this year but might try a different site.

The Heather Course and Boyne Highlands in Michigan is a good example of his work. Big bunkers and nice doglegs. The Masterpiece at Treetops is a different kind of RTJ course, hillier and more narrow. Both are fine courses.

Of the two I have played, The Heather course in Michigan is my favorite. Fox Hollow (New Port Richey, Fl.) is good also. If I'm not mistaken (and I could be), Fox Hollow was the last one he did.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• 2 months later...

I really, really liked the Cashen course in Ballybunion when I played it about 20 years ago.  I understand the locals changed some of the holes.  They hated that course.  None of the caddies would set foot on it.  I had to tote my own.  This course made the old course seem like a walk in the park.

Originally Posted by Eddie Weatherby

I really, really liked the Cashen course in Ballybunion when I played it about 20 years ago.  I had to tote my own.  This course made the old course seem like a walk in the park.

I agree.  I felt like part mountain goat going up and down those dunes.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 3983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!