• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arturo28mx

Help me understand offset

4 posts in this topic

I know the offset in game improvement irons is supposed to help square the face at impact (basically an antislice feature) and also helps get the ball launch higher.

But, as my game improves, will I need to switch to irons with less offset? How would I know when the time has come to switch to irons with less offset?

I'm currently using Callaway Razr X irons. I was thinking of getting Ping G 25 but they also have a lot of offset.

Thanks in advance for your help

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I think the "less time" argument is bogus.

I think offset simply tends to make people line up with a face pointing more "closed" than a club with less offset.

If you continue to play well with clubs that have offset, you might not ever have to decrease it.

Awards and Achievements

Offset clubs also force more people to address the ball with the hands slightly forward and should (in theory) have the hands lead the clubhead through impact which is one of the key components of a good swing.

Originally Posted by iacas

I think the "less time" argument is bogus.

I think offset simply tends to make people line up with a face pointing more "closed" than a club with less offset.

If you continue to play well with clubs that have offset, you might not ever have to decrease it.

Yup it's just more about how looking down at a club with or without offset influences your release of the club.