IGNORED

My Swing (jbishop15)

jbishop15

Chipping has become very poor. Not sure why. I'm hitting everything very short.

Driver is still bad, but I've isolated the problem. I was getting very steep and left on the way down; this was great news for my irons and even fairway woods, but that started to go south on Sunday. Spent about twenty minutes working on it today from home but I've been super busy with job interviews and other projects.

Hopefully I'll have some tomorrow or Wednesday to really get into it.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Chipping has become very poor. Not sure why. I'm hitting everything very short.

Driver is still bad, but I've isolated the problem. I was getting very steep and left on the way down; this was great news for my irons and even fairway woods, but that started to go south on Sunday. Spent about twenty minutes working on it today from home but I've been super busy with job interviews and other projects.

Hopefully I'll have some tomorrow or Wednesday to really get into it.

Get some good high-speed video for the thread here. I'm happy to help out so you can kick some butt in a month.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Get some good high-speed video for the thread here. I'm happy to help out so you can kick some butt in a month.

Will do. I'll have some up by tomorrow.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

So, I pulled out my training stuff and hit some balls today. My dad joined me, and we both took some video. We're both shit at getting the proper angle, (though, in his defense, the V1 app has a really shitty overlay that always puts you too far to the right) so there's that.

First, my dad. He turns 59 in August, averages low-ninties high-eighties, and is a ridiculously good putter.

This video is labeled before because the swing after this I had him try the feeling of swinging out to first base.

This is the FO view; he laughs at the end because he sent the ball about a million miles up in the air, lol.

This is the swing where I had him try the swing out to first base feel.

Alright, time for the main event.

DTL 7 Iron:

FO 7 iron:

DTL Driver:

FO Driver:

And there we have it. There's a lot that could be worked on, but  I feel like I'm making really good improvements, and striking the ball fairly well.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

I fee like my biggest issue is that I'm not turning enough (or perhaps properly). It feels like I'm not turning at all.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Question: if I don't feel pressure into my right leg in the backswing, does that mean I'm shifting forward (like my head and stuff) on the backswing?

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Question: if I don't feel pressure into my right leg in the backswing, does that mean I'm shifting forward (like my head and stuff) on the backswing?

Even if you don't feel it you're still increasing pressure under that right foot.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Even if you don't feel it you're still increasing pressure under that right foot.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/64993/weight-forward-using-swingcatalyst-and-sam-balance-lab-to-explain-pressure-throughout-the-swing layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

True. I'm just desperately trying to stop my head from going forward in the backswing, and I can't seem to find a good feel or drill for it.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

True. I'm just desperately trying to stop my head from going forward in the backswing, and I can't seem to find a good feel or drill for it.

Set-up with the hips bumped a little more forward at address and feel like the chest stays pointed "down" longer on the backswing as you turn the right hip up and around. Don't let the hips drift right. Keep them turning while they stay centered/slightly left.

Do the drill in this thread.

You may want to have your captain double check my advice, I may be sabotaging you ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Set-up with the hips bumped a little more forward at address and feel like the chest stays pointed "down" longer on the backswing as you turn the right hip up and around. Don't let the hips drift right. Keep them turning while they stay centered/slightly left.

Do the drill in this thread.

You may want to have your captain double check my advice, I may be sabotaging you

Very good advice, Mike. Wouldn't want you to damage the East Coast's Super Star Player :-P

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Very good advice, Mike. Wouldn't want you to damage the East Coast's Super Star Player

Ha. Seriously though, do some mirror work and try to get your A4 similar to the right pic, hips centered with some "tilt" away from the target (green line). Maybe put a piece of tape on your right hip in the mirror and try to create a little "gap" from A1-4.

Mike McLoughlin

Very good advice, Mike. Wouldn't want you to damage the East Coast's Super Star Player

This was my 1000th post on the forum, and I didn't even realize it. I was so looking forward to making it memorable, haha!

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator

I sent you a video, but basically:

1. Keep doing as @mvmac said, particularly with the driver. Feel like the angle you create at setup is maintained. Gonna feel like your head is drifting backward during the backswing. That's fine. It's as if your chest is going to stay pointing at the ground longer and throughout your entire backswing.
  2. While your head feels like it's drifting backward, let that turn carry your arms. Right now you just pick the club up, it rolls inside, then it rolls across the line and LONG while your right elbow just collapses into nothing.
  3. While you feel the drift, let the turn CARRY your hands around you. The shaft will go steeper as only your wrists can "pick the club up" (not lifting your left arm off your chest so much) and then at the top you can "dump the bucket of water to the left" (behind you). This will put the right wrist and palm more under the club and less to the side.

The summary of feels that might click or work for you:

1. Turn staying bent forward a little (chest toward ground).
  2. Let the turn carry the hands in/around.
  3. Point the shaft to your left at the top of your backswing.

You may also want to feel that the backswing is between 1/2 and 3/4. It's going to be longer than that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I sent you a video, but basically:

Keep doing as @mvmac said, particularly with the driver. Feel like the angle you create at setup is maintained. Gonna feel like your head is drifting backward during the backswing. That's fine. It's as if your chest is going to stay pointing at the ground longer and throughout your entire backswing.

While your head feels like it's drifting backward, let that turn carry your arms. Right now you just pick the club up, it rolls inside, then it rolls across the line and LONG while your right elbow just collapses into nothing.

While you feel the drift, let the turn CARRY your hands around you. The shaft will go steeper as only your wrists can "pick the club up" (not lifting your left arm off your chest so much) and then at the top you can "dump the bucket of water to the left" (behind you). This will put the right wrist and palm more under the club and less to the side.

The summary of feels that might click or work for you:

Turn staying bent forward a little (chest toward ground).

Let the turn carry the hands in/around.

Point the shaft to your left at the top of your backswing.

You may also want to feel that the backswing is between 1/2 and 3/4. It's going to be longer than that.

Using the suggestions here, the ones from the video, and some feels that I found on the range, I played nine holes.

Perhaps it was just a fluke, but I broke 40 for the first time in a long time. I've been shooting 40, 41, 43 a lot lately, but this was so much easier.

My driver, having long lost distance and height, was as long as it ever was. My irons were a little tougher to hit; a lot of toe shots, a lot of thins.

But I shot three over par. I didn't lose a ball. It honestly felt so easy that I felt like I was cheating.

It wasn't perfect on every swing. Occasionally I would feel myself getting across the line, or leaning left. But of the 22 swings, I'd say 16 of them looked like the Gmac pics. Great, great day.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator
Using the suggestions here, the ones from the video, and some feels that I found on the range, I played nine holes.

Perhaps it was just a fluke, but I broke 40 for the first time in a long time. I've been shooting 40, 41, 43 a lot lately, but this was so much easier.

My driver, having long lost distance and height, was as long as it ever was. My irons were a little tougher to hit; a lot of toe shots, a lot of thins.

But I shot three over par. I didn't lose a ball. It honestly felt so easy that I felt like I was cheating.

It wasn't perfect on every swing. Occasionally I would feel myself getting across the line, or leaning left. But of the 22 swings, I'd say 16 of them looked like the Gmac pics. Great, great day.

Take your time and practice this slowly, properly.

I'm glad you had "success" but this isn't "quick tip" type stuff. Work at it, and really build it in. Do the 5 minutes daily thread challenge… :)

Take your time and practice this slowly, properly. I'm glad you had "success" but this isn't "quick tip" type stuff. Work at it, and really build it in. Do the 5 minutes daily thread challenge… :)

Totally agree. After the round I spent an hour practicing. Just felt good to really score well.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

I've put in some work these past few days; it's been difficult in some respects and easy in others.

I've found that I've incorporated the hips forward and keeping them there pretty easily. I do a lot of mirror work at home, so that was nice.

The thing that has stymied me what my arms are supposed to do. I've always had a very armsy-feeling backswing, so to just feel as if they're doing nothing is suuuuuuuuper strange. That's the part I'm really working on now.

One thing that I've noticed; I'm missing the ball right a lot. Like, way right. Twenty yard pushes, with no draw. My best shots are about a 5 yard push draw, but occasionally I'll really flare one. But I'm encouraged, and I'm feeling good.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator

One thing that I've noticed; I'm missing the ball right a lot. Like, way right. Twenty yard pushes, with no draw. My best shots are about a 5 yard push draw, but occasionally I'll really flare one. But I'm encouraged, and I'm feeling good.

If they continue add a little palmar flexion on the downswing (i.e. at the end of the transition).