IGNORED

What are your loft degrees in the wedges you carry?

awsmith0454
Note: This thread is 4071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I only carry 1 sw 56 and of course a pw

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

awsmith,

I carry a 46.07 PW from my X20 Tours, and two Cleveland CG14 wedges: 50.08 and 56.14.

Last season, I carried the PW and three CG14 wedges: 50.08, 54.12 and 58.10 / but, the 54 was iffy on bunker shots, and the 58 had bad days on greenside lob shots. So, I dropped both for the 56: This cut down on mishits, and simplified my short game practice.

For  your situation, check the yardage distance between your PW and 56*. Try to find a club that will split the difference.

Your AP1 PW is 45.06, with a 35.75" shaft. The AP1 W (gap wedge) is 50.07, with a 35.5" shaft. (5* difference in loft, but only 1/4" difference in shaft length. (Ideal yardstick between numbered irons is 4* loft, and 1/2" shaft length).

If you find pre-2010 CG14 wedges (gold gel insert), you'll have more variety of loft/bounce to choose from. If you get post-2010 versions with Tour Zip Grooves (black gel insert), you're looking mainly at these:

50.08 | 35.5" (if you can find one)

52.10 | 35.5"

56.14 | 35.25"

60.12 | 35.25"

You could go with either a CG14 GW or an AP1 W, whichever one feels best. You might have to bend 1* to get exact. And, pay attention to shaft lengths, this will influence distance by a couple of yards. Also, make sure grip thickness matches across the wedges.

Also, check Ralph Maltby's link on wedge fitting: http://www.ralphmaltby.com/17

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ping G15, PW 45, 52-deg (Titleist), 56-deg (Titleist) - but recently purchased Ping G15 U (50) and SW (54) and will likely carry a 60-deg Cleveland 588. Tomorrow I play the stock U and SW (PING) for the first time and hope I like 'em.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Your AP1 PW is 45.06, with a 35.75" shaft. The AP1 W (gap wedge) is 50.07, with a 35.5" shaft. (5* difference in loft, but only 1/4" difference in shaft length. (Ideal yardstick between numbered irons is 4* loft, and 1/2" shaft length).

Interesting.  I checked my clubs and I only have 0.25" gaps in length from 9 iron on down.  37", 36.75", 36.50", 36.25", and 36" for the 59* lob wedge.

Originally Posted by awsmith0454

Currently, I have a 60* lob, 56* sand wedge, and standard 46* pitching wedge.  Just curious as to what others are carrying and why they carry the wedges they do.

Also, I feel I need a gap wedge to get to yardages in between my pitching and sand wedges.  Any advice on what to get?  Currently, I have Titleist AP1 712 irons and Cleveland wedges.  Would you recommend going with a gap wedge that matches my iron set, or one that matches my wedges?

Thanks

Mine are:

PW - Titleist AP-2 47°

GW - Titleist AP-2 51°

SW - Titleist Vokey 54°

HW - Cleveland CG-15 56° (I call it my high wedge, it replaces a LW in my bag)

I don't carry a true LW.  I've experimented with them over many years and decided that they are fine for the Phil Mickelsons of the world, but I just don't need the grief.  They cause more problems than they solve.

The only wedges which I use to play full shots with are the PW and GW.  I only use the Vokey for bunker play, and use the CG-15 when I really need the loft around the green.  Otherwise I chip and pitch with the PW and GW.  I'd say that at least 95% of my short game is with those 2 clubs.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

47*, 54*, and 60*. The PW is part of my iron set, the SW is 54* because it goes as near as makes no difference 100 yards on a stock swing, and the LW is 60* because I've found that to be a versatile loft for shots around the green.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

46, 50, 56 My 56 does everything, it even once paid my credit card bill. I have not found a good reason yet to get another club, and my philosophy on gaps is: don't leave yourself a distance that you can't comfortably hit.

I love my wedges', and i enjoy practising my short game alot, and in the proccess i have concluded that, my LW is like a artists paint brush. It's a expression of my imagination around the green. There is no wrong way to use one, as long as it does what you dreamed up, and just like any great artist. Great touch is also a skill that cant be taught, you either have it, or you dont.

Short game is all feel for me, so i dont have stock wedge shots/yardages. I need to know my yardages to determine club selection, but hitting a SW 112 or 106 is all feel. Here are my loose guideline's for club selection: My LW is the only club i use from 90 yards and in. A full LW is 95 yards. My SW is at least 105 yards, and my GW is at least 120yards. I wont hit my GW with a full swing because then it'll mean i'll have to hit my PW 140-145 yards, and thats not a swing i want to make with a scoring club.

My setup.  PW, Wilson Pi7 47* DG S300; GW, Taylor Made XFT  52* KBS tour S; SW, Nike SV 56* DG S300; LW, 60* Titleist vockey DG S300.

Mine is a pretty mixed bag of wedges. My main Objective for this season is to get a set of wedges to replace my GW,SW with Titleist Vockeys'.

Thx to Wutiger, im going to check the lenght of my wedge shafts, and make sure that they are not all over the place. I always thought the length of the shafts increased, or decreased approprietly with loft (never have checked it) In the same way a set of irons is set up, now that i have gave it some thought, it wouldnt make sence to have the shaft lenghten  when loft is taken away because then the yardage gap between clubs would be huge.

Originally Posted by awsmith0454

Currently, I have a 60* lob, 56* sand wedge, and standard 46* pitching wedge.  Just curious as to what others are carrying and why they carry the wedges they do.

Also, I feel I need a gap wedge to get to yardages in between my pitching and sand wedges.  Any advice on what to get?  Currently, I have Titleist AP1 712 irons and Cleveland wedges.  Would you recommend going with a gap wedge that matches my iron set, or one that matches my wedges?

Thanks

I carry my set's pw, a 52* cleveland gap wedge, and a 60* ob wedge.  I use both wedges out of the sand depending on texture.  I use the gap wedge from just under 100 down to as little as 40.  I use the lob wedge when I have no other choice. I don't carry a traditional sw because the sand here is generally too firm and I don't like using it off the turf because of the bounce.  I know that bounce is supposed to be helpful on pitches but I just don't get it.  Someday maybe I'll get a lesson on just that issue, but it hasn't happened yet.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Mine are 64, 56, 50, & 54 with my 56 being the most versatile. the 64 is my pop up and stop wedge that i use 1 or 2 times pr round when I'm short sided. I don't hit many greens but I get up and down from anywhere!

Currently, I have a 60* lob, 56* sand wedge, and standard 46* pitching wedge.  Just curious as to what others are carrying and why they carry the wedges they do. Also, I feel I need a gap wedge to get to yardages in between my pitching and sand wedges.  Any advice on what to get?  Currently, I have Titleist AP1 712 irons and Cleveland wedges.  Would you recommend going with a gap wedge that matches my iron set, or one that matches my wedges? Thanks

I have a 45 PW in the AP1 712 and AP1 712 50 GW, a 56 and a 60. Seems to cover all situations. If you don't have a gap wedge, I'd highly recommend the AP1 gap wedge. Most days it's my favorite clubin the bag.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

45 PW

50 AW

54 SW

60 LW

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

My pw(mizuno mp59) is 46 then I have a taylormade ATV 54 and 60. The 54 and 60 have been my best club for the last 3 rounds. I feel comfy with the 60 out to 45-55. The 54 I can most times get close to the mark anywhere from about 75-85, Bear in mind that's on the nice grass greens at Harvey. I don't think I have used them at Waroona because the sand greens are too hard and they just bounce off,I run a 8i chip and run type thing there and that is very hit and miss, actually more miss than hit. Kidd think about a 50-51 deg wedge to close the gap from my pw to 54, but I thought it would only confuse me

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

Note: This thread is 4071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!