Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teed off

Where to play in Orlando???

80 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I will be in the Orlando FL area the first week of February 2013 and I am anxious to play a few courses in the area. I have played all of the Disney courses and I am now interested in playing a few other courses, but there are so many to choose from.

I have booked a round at Falcon's Fire GC which is my treat for the week, however  I  am also interested in playing a decent course (around $25-$40) as a  practice round before getting to Falcon's Fire.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you in advance..........

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Are you staying in that area, down by the attractions? How many rounds/days will you be playing? Will you have a car? Honestly, for the money, there are a LOT of places I'll play before Falcons Fire.... Great time to come down. We're in the 80's right now! :-)
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank's for the reply David in FL , I will be staying in the Kissimmee area and I will have a car for the week so getting to the courses is not a problem. We (my wife and I) would like to get three rounds in during the week, with the round at Falcon's Fire the last. I am looking at Dubsdred or Kissimmee Oaks for a starter round (never have played either) as we have not swung a club since mid October and need to get the rust out! Also looking for a driving range in the area.

Any suggestions?

I appreciate you opinion.........

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dubsdread is a fun course, but its VERY tight. A real challenge for the length, and the tap room there is a great place for lunch and a cold beer afterwards! A couple of other options..... I'd highly recommend getting out to Orange County National if you can. A little more pricey, but well worth it. Until the change, they played the final round of Q school there every other year. If it were me, I'd play there rather than Falcons Fire in a heartbeat. It also has one of the finest practice facilities you'll find anywhere. Out in that same area, Stoneybrook West is a fun track and you can get golf and lunch for about $35 on Golfnow. Redtail Golf Club was a private club until just recently. Recently opened to the public and worth the drive up I-4 just past Lake Mary. Again, on Golfnow you can get golf and lunch for $45 or so. Not far from Redtail is one of my favorites, Eagle Dunes. Always in great shape and some of the consistently best greens in Central FL. As you said, a ton of courses....too many to do more than scratch the surface in one trip. Have fun!
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can tell you you're on the right side of town for the good courses. You got Reunion (3 courses), Tradition, the Disney courses, Kissimmee Lakes, and out 192 about 30 miles is a great track designed by Johnny Miller - Harmony.

If you get into town I highly recommend Dubsdread. It's basically my home course. During the summer I play it twice a week. I don't think it's as tight as David is implying, but it's definitely a strategic course from tee to green. Here's the website -

http://www.historicaldubsdread.com/

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by David in FL

Are you staying in that area, down by the attractions? How many rounds/days will you be playing? Will you have a car?

Honestly, for the money, there are a LOT of places I'll play before Falcons Fire....

Great time to come down. We're in the 80's right now!

Really? I love Falcon's Fire, I think it's an excellent course. You're right about Orange County National though. Very nice courses. My buddies and I are actually looking to do a long golf weekend there this spring.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? I love Falcon's Fire, I think it's an excellent course. You're right about Orange County National though. Very nice courses. My buddies and I are actually looking to do a long golf weekend there this spring.

The course is an ok, resort-style course. In my experience, the staff is and service is mediocre at best though. OCN will treat you great, even if the never hope to see you again. FF treats you as IF they never expect to see you again.....and don't really care. Dollar for dollar, I can give you plenty of better options than FF in Central FL.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

The course is an ok, resort-style course. In my experience, the staff is and service is mediocre at best though. OCN will treat you great, even if the never hope to see you again. FF treats you as IF they never expect to see you again.....and don't really care.

Dollar for dollar, I can give you plenty of better options than FF in Central FL.

Wow, I had a totally different experience. I played it last spring and the service/staff were excellent. Any given day I guess.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by David in FL

I'd highly recommend getting out to Orange County National if you can. A little more pricey, but well worth it. Until the change, they played the final round of Q school there every other year. If it were me, I'd play there rather than Falcons Fire in a heartbeat. It also has one of the finest practice facilities you'll find anywhere.

+1 - Orange County Panther Lake is a tough course though, runs at a CR of 76 from the green tees, Crooked Cat is easier - wasn't that pricey when I played last summer at 40$ in the afternoon

Champions Gate is another good course specially the International course which is a links style course - 35$s or so for a late tee off

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading to Orlando in May for work and I'll be extending the stay to play some golf. I've never been to Orlando so I'd like some advice on where to play. Hoping to get 4-5 rounds in during my stay.

Thanks in advance!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where will you be staying?

Orlando's a popular destination and that question comes up a lot......if you do a quick search on this forum you'll find a ton of recommendations.

Welcome to the forum!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be staying at the Parc Soleil Suites. I'll make sure to search the forums for some ideas, too. Golfnow.com the best spot for lowest green fees?
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by willk24

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be staying at the Parc Soleil Suites. I'll make sure to search the forums for some ideas, too. Golfnow.com the best spot for lowest green fees?

We will be in off-peak season by then - so if you avoid the tourist traps, you will be able to save some cash. A site like golfnow will also help keep you from paying those ugly *non-resident* rates.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Orlando area is a little oversaturated with courses/tee times, and GolfNow customers are indeed reaping the benefits.  If you're OK with risking not having reserved tee times prior to your arrival, you could easily just poach the best deals going on at the time each day by checking their web site.  Granted, not every course, and certainly not the premier exclusive courses will be on their site, but there are plenty of GREAT courses on there.  If you don't mind a little bif of a drive, there are a couple of facilities, three courses total, in the NW area of Orlando.  You're right on I4 so it wouldn't be too bad, barring heavy traffic, maybe  30 minute drive.  The courses are Bella Colina, and a two course Resort called Mission Inn(El Campeon is the better of the two courses, Las Colinas I think the other one). They're about 5-10 miles apart, but in the same area, which is unique for Florida and most of Orlando in that it has a lot of elevation, relatively speaking.  Both facilities are highly regarded and always in great shape.  Last I checked, you could get early bird and/or early afternoon deals at either facility for well under $50, whereas the "walkup" or standard call ahead rate is likely closer to $100 at either place, maybe a little less once May hits.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dpgator33

Orlando area is a little oversaturated with courses/tee times, and GolfNow customers are indeed reaping the benefits.  If you're OK with risking not having reserved tee times prior to your arrival, you could easily just poach the best deals going on at the time each day by checking their web site.  Granted, not every course, and certainly not the premier exclusive courses will be on their site, but there are plenty of GREAT courses on there.  If you don't mind a little bif of a drive, there are a couple of facilities, three courses total, in the NW area of Orlando.  You're right on I4 so it wouldn't be too bad, barring heavy traffic, maybe  30 minute drive.  The courses are Bella Colina, and a two course Resort called Mission Inn(El Campeon is the better of the two courses, Las Colinas I think the other one). They're about 5-10 miles apart, but in the same area, which is unique for Florida and most of Orlando in that it has a lot of elevation, relatively speaking.  Both facilities are highly regarded and always in great shape.  Last I checked, you could get early bird and/or early afternoon deals at either facility for well under $50, whereas the "walkup" or standard call ahead rate is likely closer to $100 at either place, maybe a little less once May hits.

I agree with maybe getting off the beaten path, so to speak. El Campion at Mission Inn is a great course. If you're near that area you may also want to check out Legends in Clermont. It's a Jack Niclaus design with some nice elevation changes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a link to favorite Orlando Courses with photos [URL=http://golfcourses.weebly.com/orlando-fl.html]http://golfcourses.weebly.com/orlando-fl.html[/URL]

Before playing any of these, please check for current course conditions. Of the 6 recommended here, I'd only recommend one, Bella Colina, due to poor condition.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0