IGNORED

Which version of Cleveland Wedge?

Note: This thread is 4003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I notice there are a few options. REG 588, 588 RTX, and 588 RTX CB. I know the CB are cavity back wedges which should be used for the higher handicap players. But is the REG 588 just last years clubs?

For me I was thinking of going with a 52* 588 RTX CB (or a Cobra S3 max Gap 49* to match my other irons), 56* 588 RTX CB, and a 60* Standard bounce 588 RTX.

I usualy shoot in the mid to upper 90's so I was thinking the CB's for the lower loft wedges may help.

I am coming from a Hippo 52*, no name 56*, and dunlop target special 62*, so I am thinking these will be a huge upgrade... :-)

Thanks

Joel White

BTW if you like another brand better let me know. I have just read a ton about these clubs being good, so like I said anything would be an upgrade!

Driver - Cobra S3 10.5*

Hybrid/Rescue - Cobra Amp Cell 2-3

Irons - Cobra S3 Max 3H, 4H, 5-PW

Wedges - 54* and 58* Cleveland 588-RTX

Putter - Carbite Polar Balanced Mallet

If it's Cleveland, you have to go with the Niblicks, they currently come in 42*, 49* and 56* - you will find nothing more forgiving.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by meenman

If it's Cleveland, you have to go with the Niblicks, they currently come in 42*, 49* and 56* - you will find nothing more forgiving.

As long as you don't mind being able to hit one type of shot with your wedges..............  The Niblick did nothing for my game but take up a spot in the bag and make my bunker play go to crap.  It does nothing that you can't do with a standard wedge/9/8 iron.

Don't believe the Niblick hype.  Get a standard wedge.  Whatever looks best to you and you like the feel of.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

As long as you don't mind being able to hit one type of shot with your wedges..............  The Niblick did nothing for my game but take up a spot in the bag and make my bunker play go to crap.  It does nothing that you can't do with a standard wedge/9/8 iron.

Don't believe the Niblick hype.  Get a standard wedge.  Whatever looks best to you and you like the feel of.

The reason you struggled with it is because you assumed it was a one trick pony. The 56 degree plays just as well out of the sand as any other high bounce wedge. It is very forgiving on pitch shots. It cuts through thick rough like no other club and yes, it can be used in a putting motion from the fringe.

They are not for everyone - one of my playing partners bought one when he saw the success I had with mine - I'm waiting for him to drop the price to $25 before I buy it off of him - mainly because I dont need a 49 degree.

Follow me on twitter

Originally Posted by meenman

The reason you struggled with it is because you assumed it was a one trick pony. The 56 degree plays just as well out of the sand as any other high bounce wedge. It is very forgiving on pitch shots. It cuts through thick rough like no other club and yes, it can be used in a putting motion from the fringe.

They are not for everyone - one of my playing partners bought one when he saw the success I had with mine - I'm waiting for him to drop the price to $25 before I buy it off of him - mainly because I dont need a 49 degree.

I did not assume it was a one trick pony.  I read all these miraculous club reviews, like you guys are trying to do again, years removed and bought into the hype.  I really wanted and expected it to work, but the facts are that it did nothing better than clubs I already had in the bag.  Hell, people call it a chipper, but I chipped as good or better with my 9 iron than the Niblick.

Like I said before, it's no miracle club that's going to drop 5 or 6 strokes off the average golfer's game like guys try to make it out to be.  Everyone I personally know that bought one has taken it out and given it away or it's sitting gathering dust somewhere.

I'm glad you like yours, but pushing it on others as some sort of miracle club for everyone is deceptive and simply isn't true.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

I did not assume it was a one trick pony.  I read all these miraculous club reviews, like you guys are trying to do again, years removed and bought into the hype.  I really wanted and expected it to work, but the facts are that it did nothing better than clubs I already had in the bag.  Hell, people call it a chipper, but I chipped as good or better with my 9 iron than the Niblick.

Like I said before, it's no miracle club that's going to drop 5 or 6 strokes off the average golfer's game like guys try to make it out to be.  Everyone I personally know that bought one has taken it out and given it away or it's sitting gathering dust somewhere.

I'm glad you like yours, but pushing it on others as some sort of miracle club for everyone is deceptive and simply isn't true.

Just educating a golfer looking for help.

Its no different than every *which driver/irons/putter/wedges/ball/underwear should I buy* thread where everyone suggests whatever is in their bag.

Follow me on twitter

So I notice there are a few options. REG 588, 588 RTX, and 588 RTX CB. I know the CB are cavity back wedges which should be used for the higher handicap players . But is the REG 588 just last years clubs? For me I was thinking of going with a 52* 588 RTX CB (or a Cobra S3 max Gap 49* to match my other irons), 56* 588 RTX CB, and a 60* Standard bounce 588 RTX. I usualy shoot in the mid to upper 90's so I was thinking the CB's for the lower loft wedges may help. I am coming from a Hippo 52*, no name 56*, and dunlop target special 62*, so I am thinking these will be a huge upgrade... :-) Thanks Joel White BTW if you like another brand better let me know. I have just read a ton about these clubs being good, so like I said anything would be an upgrade!

If I remember hearing correctly Charlie Beljan just placed second at Riveria last week using the 588 RTX CBs, so I wouldn't say they are made for high handicappers. If you feel confident with that club in your hand that's the club you should use.

Do you know the diff between the reg-588 and the 588-Rtx??

Driver - Cobra S3 10.5*

Do you know the diff between the reg-588 and the 588-Rtx??

I believe the 588 last years are forged and the 588 RTX is not. The forged used TT tour concept shafts, the RTX just uses the wedge flex I believe. The new RTX face is getting pre groove rule spin with their new face design.

If you like Cleveland wedges, you might consider the CG14 with Tour Zip Grooves. This was a second-phase model cut with the post-2010 conforming grooves. (Original CG14s had a golf gel head insert, while the TZ version has black gel).

With recent price cuts, you could get a TZ 52*, 56* and 60* for $60 each. You can find original gold-gel CG14s here and there, but finding all three - Gap, Sand, and Lob - may be tough.

CG14 was one of most popular Cle wedges ever, making its way into both amateur and tour pro bags. If you're willing to work on your short game a little, the CG14 could do it for you.

CG15 wedges with a more muscleback head design are now under $80, but wouldn't be as forgiving as the CG14s.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have always considered Cleveland wedges, but I have never pulled the trigger on buying them. I have a lot of friends who swear by them and they seem to be one of the most popular brand of wedges for a very long time.  I have Titleist Vokey SM4 wedges.  How do Cleveland wedges compare to the Vokey's? I'm not sure because I have never hit them.  I like the Vokey's but there is always room for improvement.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

I have always considered Cleveland wedges, but I have never pulled the trigger on buying them. I have a lot of friends who swear by them and they seem to be one of the most popular brand of wedges for a very long time.  I have Titleist Vokey SM4 wedges.  How do Cleveland wedges compare to the Vokey's? I'm not sure because I have never hit them.  I like the Vokey's but there is always room for improvement.

If you like your Vokey's don't worry about it.  Clevelands aren't that much different.  To be perfectly honest, other than Edel, I don't see much difference in any of the major brand wedges.  I liked my Clevelands, and I like my Pings, and I like the Callaways I've hit (except the 64 ... thats nuts).  I'm sure I would do fine with Vokeys or Mizunos or Tm, or whatever.

Heck, why don't you just take my old ones and try them out sometime if you want to experiment?  I have a 53, 56, and 60 Cleveland RTG (the cool looking rusty ones).

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

If you like your Vokey's don't worry about it.  Clevelands aren't that much different.  To be perfectly honest, other than Edel, I don't see much difference in any of the major brand wedges.  I liked my Clevelands, and I like my Pings, and I like the Callaways I've hit (except the 64 ... thats nuts).  I'm sure I would do fine with Vokeys or Mizunos or Tm, or whatever.

Heck, why don't you just take my old ones and try them out sometime if you want to experiment?  I have a 53, 56, and 60 Cleveland RTG (the cool looking rusty ones).

I will take your old ones, especially the 60*.  What is the bounce on the 60*?

I will take your old ones, especially the 60*.  What is the bounce on the 60*?

I don't know ... But it's not enough. ;) my current wedge is 59 and has 11 ... I know it's less than that.

• 3 weeks later...
I ended up with a 54 and 58 RTX CB wedges and played with them today.... WOW! Stop me on a dime or run em if needed. Awesome!

Driver - Cobra S3 10.5*

• 4 weeks later...

I'd highly recommend the Precision Forged 588's.  I tried both those and the new CB Cleveland wedge, and although the CB felt great and was very forgiving, the Forged was also as forgiving and gave me a good 5-10 yards of consistent distance longer.

I now have been using the 50 degree, 8 degree bounce Black Pearl Forged 588, for about 5-10 rounds, and have consistently been putting the ball within 15 feet of the pin from 75-115 yards with the club.  I don't have to swing all-out with it at all, and with a controlled 3/4 swing I consistently get a great-feeling shot with a penetrating ball flight and the trademark Cleveland spin.

I've also added the 56 degree, 10-degree bounce Black Pearl Forged 588.  It's awesome from the sand, around the greens, and anywhere from 20-70 yards.  I also carry a 60 degree, 12 degree bounce Vokey SM4 that I feel is equivalent to the Clevelands in terms of performance.

I do think the grooves on the Cleveland wedges are better than the Vokey grooves, though.  The 56 degree Cleveland has stopped out of the sand for me on a dime from a few mid-trajectory, somewhat long sand shots.  Comparably, a mid-trajectory sand shot from an even closer distance with the Vokey 60 degree has shown to roll a bit more than with the Cleveland.

The level of control with the Forged wedge over the CB, and the added distance control will consistently help you score lower, and will help you develop your overall swing better, IMO.

the 588 is BY FAR the best feeling and performing Clevelend Wedge, imo. I had 588 DSG's a few years back, they were great. Nice looking head as well.

I LOL at the Niblick vote. Horrible wedges. Not made for delicate feel around the greens.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

588s are also beautiful

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 4003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!