• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bjwestner

still occasionally "stepping-out" of some shots

13 posts in this topic

It has gotten much better since I started playing golf, but it still happens a few times a round, especially with the driver off the tee.  My practice swings are fine, and then I go to hit my shot, and instead of being balanced and having a nice follow through with proper weight transfer, I will "step-out" out of the shot.  After impact my left leg (I'm right handed), will step to the left.

Usually it's with the driver but sometimes will happen with irons/woods during the round.  Not all the time but several times per round this occurs.  Anyone else ever have this issue?  If so, what did you do to fix it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Did you play baseball when you were younger? Because that's why I stepped out. It made me feel like I was opening my hips super fast.

For me, it just took a lot of practice and just focusing on keeping the foot steady.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post

Did you play baseball when you were younger? Because that's why I stepped out. It made me feel like I was opening my hips super fast.

For me, it just took a lot of practice and just focusing on keeping the foot steady.

What a coincidence, I just posted a reply to a thread on baseball and golf swings:

Quote:

I agree they are not the same, and that is the problem. They do affect each other. When I play with someone who takes a big OTI cut at it moving all over the place and ends up with the weight on the back foot, and I ask if they play softball, I am about 90% accurate. My son played baseball 4 yrs before he started playing golf, and after 2 years, he is finally getting his weight up onto his left side in a consistent manner. In my experience, the baseball swing is one of the worst golf wreckers. Look at the pros - all the good golf amateurs are pitchers...

OP, if you finish with ALL your weight on your left leg, you can't lift your left foot and step out! Range drill: hit your driver and hold your finish, and lift your right foot off the ground completely. Repeat until moving your weight onto your left foot becomes comfortable and ingrained.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dak4n6

What a coincidence, I just posted a reply to a thread on baseball and golf swings:

OP, if you finish with ALL your weight on your left leg, you can't lift your left foot and step out! Range drill: hit your driver and hold your finish, and lift your right foot off the ground completely. Repeat until moving your weight onto your left foot becomes comfortable and ingrained.

Thanks for the feedback.  It's frustrating because the only time I can practice this is if I am actually hitting a ball.  I do not have this problem in my practice swings at all.

Do you think that by stepping out of the swing that it affects power and where the ball ends up?  Or is this more of a cosmetic thing?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bjwestner

Thanks for the feedback.  It's frustrating because the only time I can practice this is if I am actually hitting a ball.  I do not have this problem in my practice swings at all.

Do you think that by stepping out of the swing that it affects power and where the ball ends up?  Or is this more of a cosmetic thing?

No, no, it's not cosmetic at all. Stepping out will (or should) affect all aspects of your shot negatively. Do you slice? It sounds like this is a classic ball-induced phenomena. The stress of trying to hit it long and straight is causing you to swing differently.

Like I said, hit balls at the range and lift your right foot while you hold your finish.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dak4n6

OP, if you finish with ALL your weight on your left leg, you can't lift your left foot and step out! Range drill: hit your driver and hold your finish, and lift your right foot off the ground completely. Repeat until moving your weight onto your left foot becomes comfortable and ingrained.

Perhaps even try a Gary Player type move?  I used to do that all the time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, slicing has been a problem, with the driver and woods, not so much with my irons.  I did not have a slicing problem when I first started playing golf almost 9 months ago.  Then towards November or so of last year, I obtained a bad slice with the driver and woods too.  I was tinkering with my swing which is what caused it.  The whole time I was getting better at not stepping out of my swing but it still happens from time to time, mostly with the driver.

Last weekend was the best driving day I had in a while.  Instead of standing too close to the ball, I made sure that I was fully extended and focused on bringing the club back oustide first (if that makes sense), because before I think that I was bringing it too much inside which was causing an OTT move and thus a slice.  It definitely worked as my driving was much better and my posture was better too.  I had a few step outs but not as many as before.  I also found myself actually pushing off the right foot in order to get all my weight on my left leg at finish which is helping.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, before I obtained my slice, I was driving the ball very well and very far.  When I got my slice, I lost a lot of distance.  I'm sure that a lot of this was due to the slice but the colder weather also played a role I'm sure.  Last weekend, while making sure my arms were fully extended, I noticed straighter drives and drives with much more distance, despite the fact that the weather was still cold.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak4n6

OP, if you finish with ALL your weight on your left leg, you can't lift your left foot and step out! Range drill: hit your driver and hold your finish, and lift your right foot off the ground completely. Repeat until moving your weight onto your left foot becomes comfortable and ingrained.

Perhaps even try a Gary Player type move?  I used to do that all the time.

My golf league partner used to do that even during matches, and he was a solid 4hc, great ball striker. It was wierd to watch though. It made me feel like saying, 'Hey where are you going dude, you left your bag...'

I tried it some, but it kind of conflicted with my instinct to pose the finish..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:  I played a round on each day of this past weekend.  Temps finally were in in the mid 40's which felt nice!  Anyways, I kind of had a "breakthrough" on the course.  It started on the first tee shot of the round on Saturday with my driver.  I actually shifted my weight from back to front as I swung and it was like a miracle.  The ball flew off my driver like I had not seen in months!  I used to drive the ball pretty far and fairly straight when I first started golfing last summer, but from about November until recently I lost distance and obtained a slice.  All of this while "stepping-out" of shots, mostly with the driver.

Throughout the two rounds of golf this past weekend, I did not step out of any shots with my driver.  I no longer had a slice either.  I had a few pushes and pulls, but it was so nice and refreshing to see no slice movement at all on the ball.  I even had some draw spin on a few of the drives!  All because I actually was just shifting my weight like normal.  It was a great feeling to finish the swing with the driver with all my weight on my left foot and actually be able to pose when I hit a nice drive instead of stepping out of the drive and always having slice spin on the ball even if I was able to keep it in the fairway.

It is a work in progress but I really needed this past weekend for my confidence.  I finally hit my 3W over 200 yards from the fairway because I shifted my weight.  No more slice spin which was obviously somehow connected to me not shifting my weight properly and coming over the top.

I did have a few step-outs with my irons, but this was mostly on shots with really uneven lies, so I will have to continue to work on this.

Thank you all very much to those that commented on this thread, it helped a lot.  The numbers say it all as I ended up tying my lowest score ever at my country club, as I shot 86 on both days, with temps in mid 40's, windy, with yardage of 6333 yards from the tees I played from, 70.5 course rating and 128 slope.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dak4n6

My golf league partner used to do that even during matches, and he was a solid 4hc, great ball striker. It was wierd to watch though. It made me feel like saying, 'Hey where are you going dude, you left your bag...'

I tried it some, but it kind of conflicted with my instinct to pose the finish..

I was given the Gary Player "step through" drill last lesson (also one where I go from standing completely on my right foot (left knee up) to completely on my left foot (right knee up)  kind of a 'tires' drill but without the jump) - it's an odd thing(s) and looks weird, but it's really helping, IMO, for me to finish all my rotation, and getting final weight from right to left.

Both of these are fixing my footing, move, and how I put pressure down - I'm clearly getting a lot more rotation.  And I can hit pretty decent even while doing the drills.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bjwestner

Update:  I played a round on each day of this past weekend.  Temps finally were in in the mid 40's which felt nice!  Anyways, I kind of had a "breakthrough" on the course.  It started on the first tee shot of the round on Saturday with my driver.  I actually shifted my weight from back to front as I swung and it was like a miracle.  The ball flew off my driver like I had not seen in months!  I used to drive the ball pretty far and fairly straight when I first started golfing last summer, but from about November until recently I lost distance and obtained a slice.  All of this while "stepping-out" of shots, mostly with the driver.

Throughout the two rounds of golf this past weekend, I did not step out of any shots with my driver.  I no longer had a slice either.  I had a few pushes and pulls, but it was so nice and refreshing to see no slice movement at all on the ball.  I even had some draw spin on a few of the drives!  All because I actually was just shifting my weight like normal.  It was a great feeling to finish the swing with the driver with all my weight on my left foot and actually be able to pose when I hit a nice drive instead of stepping out of the drive and always having slice spin on the ball even if I was able to keep it in the fairway.

It is a work in progress but I really needed this past weekend for my confidence.  I finally hit my 3W over 200 yards from the fairway because I shifted my weight.  No more slice spin which was obviously somehow connected to me not shifting my weight properly and coming over the top.

I did have a few step-outs with my irons, but this was mostly on shots with really uneven lies, so I will have to continue to work on this.

Thank you all very much to those that commented on this thread, it helped a lot.  The numbers say it all as I ended up tying my lowest score ever at my country club, as I shot 86 on both days, with temps in mid 40's, windy, with yardage of 6333 yards from the tees I played from, 70.5 course rating and 128 slope.

Good for you bj. IMO getting that weight to finish up on the front leg is the move that seperates average and good golfers from the spazzes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!  I'm hoping that I keep it up and continue to learn more and more.  Nothing is better than executing something that you have been working on.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0