IGNORED

Taylormade R1

Na5carr3
Note: This thread is 3801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is everyone's thoughts on the new Taylormade R1?

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

mchepp, I read your review. Very true to life on the aspects of this driver. I got one. I really like it. After hitting it several times, I really don't notice the graphics. If your looking at the graphics, your not looking at the ball. So one would assume that your not going to make good contact if your looking at the paint job.

I didn't think I was going to like the Phenom shaft, but after some adjustments (and they work) the stock shaft is not too bad. Even with that said, I think I'm going shaft shopping this summer just to see whats out there.

Compared to the R11s, I think the "racing stripes" make this club "not so bright". It kinda calms the "all white" look down a bit.

With my 6 year old Ben Hogan I was getting about 245 to 255 out of it. With the R1, I am now seeing 275 to around 283 or 4 with good contact. I even saw a couple of 305 strikes!!  I also tried out the new Callaway Extreme Fit with both shaft offerings. You got to be a gorilla to hit the Matrix Black Tie shaft. LOL. The Trinity shaft was a better fit for me but I still was only seeing about the same results as the Hogan so that one was out. I did really like that one before hitting it. Just to step down a bit, I tried the Ping G20 in stiff flex. That one for me only saw slight improvement at an average distance of 260. Next up was the Callaway X Hot, This one was about the same as the Hogan, so again, that one was out as well although it felt better than the Hogan. At the end of the day I did not go into the shop to specifically buy the R1. As a matter of fact I was really against that one from the start but after the results I got out this "ugly stick" I just couldn't deny the killer results it gave me after adjustments. If you don't like the looks of it.....well I can understand your concern on that.....just check it out and see where you would be in comparison to your current gamer. I think you'll be surprised.

D2 Feel

I hit one in a cage today. Along with the 913d2 and d3 and a RBZ stage 2 all seemed close to me. They got a demo days coming up I will play some more with them. But out of them seemed I hit the R1 the best.

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

I tried one of these last week. A golfing buddy has one..

Hated it. The sound made my ears ring. Even on flushed shots, it felt terrible. It felt heavy at impact. No thanks...

Then don't hit the Titleist 913 or your ears will fall off...

Look, I've hit the R1 on a couple of days at the range.

Sound and feel were excellent.

I think the decals are cool - it's a good look.

At address, you see it, but when you get ready to go, your eyes are on the ball.

Seemed forgiving enough for a mid capper

The shaft was the wrong flex for me so I can't speak to length but even with a stiffer flex than my normal fit, carry was as long as my present fitted setup. Properly fitted, it should be looong.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Then don't hit the Titleist 913 or your ears will fall off...

At address, you see it, but when you get ready to go, your eyes are on the ball.

The shaft was the wrong flex for me so I can't speak to length but even with a stiffer flex than my normal fit, carry was as long as my present fitted setup. Properly fitted, it should be looong.

So the 913 sounds different to the 910?? I found the 910 to have a pleasant thud, much like my current driver. Again, feel comes down to many things, but it didnt feel like the ball jumped off the face, and felt heavy. It must be me, there are plenty of players using it.

It's great. I've had mine for a few days, and after a bit of work, I'm hitting it 285 easy and can crank it up to 305 without tearing out my spine. I love the feel and sound, as well as the graphics. Great driver.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

So the 913 sounds different to the 910?? I found the 910 to have a pleasant thud, much like my current driver. Again, feel comes down to many things, but it didnt feel like the ball jumped off the face, and felt heavy. It must be me, there are plenty of players using it.

From what everyone says, the 910 is more pleasing as to sound. I hit the 913 - it was loud, but not too bad. The face felt hard. But a nice club.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 2 weeks later...

I splurged and got it. Really happy with the results so far. Dialing in the proper loft and face angle (which for me was 10.5U and neutral with the heavy weight on the outside) has improved my carry distance by 8-10 yards and reduced spin to 3200 RPM vs 4100 RPM with the Burner 2.0.

Originally Posted by philcski

I splurged and got it. Really happy with the results so far. Dialing in the proper loft and face angle (which for me was 10.5U and neutral with the heavy weight on the outside) has improved my carry distance by 8-10 yards and reduced spin to 3200 RPM vs 4100 RPM with the Burner 2.0.

Lots of loft adjustment, nice sound and feel (subjective), you can adjust so the face angle sits "correctly" to your eyes, club head COG moved forward and down for more ball speed, more aerodynamic design, white face with decal designed to help you aim better - there is a lot to like in this driver.

Cool idea, but the crown makes me want to throw up...

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

I really don't even "see" the crown when lining up anymore. I'm looking at the ball ! ! ! There's alot I don't like about this club but it sure moves a ball. I saw where Golf Works is selling the hosel end for the shaft of this club, so I'm going shaft shopping soon. Can't really say much for the grip as well. I'm sure it will wear out quick. The head is incredible to say the least. Works as advetised.

D2 Feel

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Spent more time with the R1 (with my normal flex - R)  last weekend at a demo day and compared it to the XHot.

The XHot feel will definitely get you more excited - always feels like you nutted it - crisp, hot, lively, light.

The R1 feels like its lazy cousin ... a bit heavy, muted and crowned with a tat.

R1 is adjustable - big kudos.

At the same time, with both .... ball go far.

• 1 month later...

I must come back to this thread and say how bad I now hate the R1. Took my old driver out (Ben Hogan CS3) and was just drilling them down the center. Made a couple of adjustments on the R1 and nothing. It's like the face on that thing just died over just a couple of weeks. TaylorMade, you just ain't up to par of yesteryear. But I will say, your advos must be working cuz y'all got alot of people snookered.

Did pick up a Ping K15 still in the wrapper. Now that's a good club. 3 year old technology, and it's still better than any "new" item I have hit to date.

D2 Feel

I must come back to this thread and say how bad I now hate the R1. Took my old driver out (Ben Hogan CS3) and was just drilling them down the center. Made a couple of adjustments on the R1 and nothing. It's like the face on that thing just died over just a couple of weeks. TaylorMade, you just ain't up to par of yesteryear. But I will say, your advos must be working cuz y'all got alot of people snookered. Did pick up a Ping K15 still in the wrapper. Now that's a good club. 3 year old technology, and it's still better than any "new" item I have hit to date.

I am still hitting mine and I still like it. That being said everyone will be different.

Michael

Note: This thread is 3801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!