IGNORED

Looking to add a 64* wedges, but what do i drop?

Jspangler
Note: This thread is 4073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been thinking about adding a 64* wedge now for the last 2 seasons and I think now I'm finally going to pull the trigger. My only problem is I'm not sure what to take out without leaving to big of a gap. My bag goes as such: Driver 10.5*- 260-280 average 4w 16.5*- 220-240 3h 20*- 200-210 4i/4h 23*- 190-200 5i- 180-190 6i- 165-180 7i- 155-165 8i- 145-155 9i- 135-145 PW 46*- 120-135 GW 50*- 105-120 SW 55*- 75-100 LW 60*- inside 70 No my only question is what do I dump? 4i because it barely gets used? 5i, I've very consistent with the 6i and can lay off a 4h. Or go to the other end and get rid if the 50*, I normally play a 3/4 PW from 100-110, but that 50 is nice if I have to carry it all the way to the pin rather then run it up there. If I dump the 50 do I go 52,58,64? any help is greatly appreciated.

honestly, I have a 64 & put a good amount of time practicing with it - it's just not reliable enough for me to bag right now.   I've never seen a club that requires such an absolutely PERFECT ball strike to get it to do what you want it to do.    It's so easy to hit it slightly off the sweet spot & watch it dribble up & not make it off the fringe.   Anyways, thats just me - I'm down on it after really working to try to get comfortable with it.

I'd just as well open up my 58 if I need to get alot of loft on a shot.     Maybe you would do better replacing your 60 degree with a low bounce "finesse" version which is a bit easier when you open it up for those high lofted shots...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthehole

honestly, I have a 64 & put a good amount of time practicing with it - it's just not reliable enough for me to bag right now.   I've never seen a club that requires such an absolutely PERFECT ball strike to get it to do what you want it to do.    It's so easy to hit it slightly off the sweet spot & watch it dribble up & not make it off the fringe.   Anyways, thats just me - I'm down on it after really working to try to get comfortable with it.

I'd just as well open up my 58 if I need to get alot of loft on a shot.     Maybe you would do better replacing your 60 degree with a low bounce "finesse" version which is a bit easier when you open it up for those high lofted shots...

What is the bounce on your 64*?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

What is the bounce on your 64*?

I bought it specifically with a very low bounce - probably 4 or 5 degrees for basically one purpose...  that was to hit lofted approach shots off the hard pan fairways of my crappy local courses.    I found it's impossible (for me) to open up a wedge with really hard fairways to get enough height & thought a low bounce 64 would be the ticket - it might be for a better player, but the unreliability of such a high lofted club when you don't hit the sweet spot perfect every time didn't work out for me (another thing ... due to the loft, you have to hit a 64 alot harder than I was comfortable doing at such close ranges) ... based on my experience, I just think this club is one better left for the short game wizards out there (and the short game is by far the best part of my game - I'm pretty good with that 58 - the 64 is a whole different animal).

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by Jspangler

I've been thinking about adding a 64* wedge now for the last 2 seasons and I think now I'm finally going to pull the trigger. My only problem is I'm not sure what to take out without leaving to big of a gap. My bag goes as such:

Driver 10.5*- 260-280 average

4w 16.5*- 220-240

3h 20*- 200-210

4i/4h 23*- 190-200

5i- 180-190

6i- 165-180

7i- 155-165

8i- 145-155

9i- 135-145

PW 46*- 120-135

GW 50*- 105-120

SW 55*- 75-100

LW 60*- inside 70

No my only question is what do I dump? 4i because it barely gets used? 5i, I've very consistent with the 6i and can lay off a 4h. Or go to the other end and get rid if the 50*, I normally play a 3/4 PW from 100-110, but that 50 is nice if I have to carry it all the way to the pin rather then run it up there. If I dump the 50 do I go 52,58,64? any help is greatly appreciated.

To me, it's a course by course thing. Take a look at Mickelson, I believe he varies wedges based on the course and conditions. If you have a long course with big greens, stick with your current setup. If you have a manageable course with postage stamp greens, bring in the 64 and park the 3H or 4H.

Or if you want a "set" bag, park the 4H, put on more tape for the lower hand on your 3H, and grip down for 4i distance.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

To me, it's a course by course thing. Take a look at Mickelson, I believe he varies wedges based on the course and conditions. If you have a long course with big greens, stick with your current setup. If you have a manageable course with postage stamp greens, bring in the 64 and park the 3H or 4H. Or if you want a "set" bag, park the 4H, put on more tape for the lower hand on your 3H, and grip down for 4i distance.

That's what I was thinking, I travel a lot for work so I play golf all over the midwest, so I really don't have a home course. My only concern with changing out clubs is not really getting a feel for the 64*,and the 64 is really an all feel club.

Originally Posted by inthehole

Maybe you would do better replacing your 60 degree with a low bounce "finesse" version which is a bit easier when you open it up for those high lofted shots...

I agree with this, I would just get a 60 with less bounce.  I personally do not see the point of a 64 degree wedge for most of us, unless you just want to have something to talk about.  I have tried all different high lofts(58, 60 and 64) and have gone to just a 56 for my highest.  If we had harder soil here I would probably have a low bounce 60.   If you really feel you need one, then I would get rid of your SW or your 60, if you don't use one of them for the sand or for chipping.  I use a gap and partial shots for anything under 110 yards anyway.  I would go 50, 56 or 58 and 64 if that is what you want.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I just don't see the need for something so lofted.  I have a 59 as my highest lofted club and that thing goes damn near straight up when I open it up.  There isn't a strong need for anything loftier than that for me.  Heck, I rarely even use it that way.  It goes high enough and lands soft enough most of the time on just a regular pitch shot that I don't ever see the need to try the "hero" flop shot.

I get it for pros who have very specific needs at specific courses, who also happen to be skilled enough to use one, but they ain't for me. :)

I'm not a LW hater and always argue against guys trying to convince people not to go through with adding a 60˚.  But just wondering why you want a 64˚ on top of a 60˚?  I ask because I know why I got my 60˚, and given my experience with it and the distances you give, I don't see why you need it.  I got my 60˚ for two main reasons:

1) Too many green side shots where a stock pitch or chip landed hotter than I wanted with the 54˚.  Plus I'm less comfortable relying on judging long roll out with a low chip than on hitting a higher pitch where if I land it where I want I can be more confident the ball will actually stop closer to where I want it, so 60˚ helps there too.

2) Distance gap between short game shots (say < 50 yards) and shots I'm comfortable hitting with my 54˚ or PW.  60˚ closed that gap for me.

That's all to explain my question.  Your "full" 60˚ goes 70 yards, and it sounds like you're also fairly comfortable with some partial wedge shots, so it wouldn't seem like you've got any gaps between full 60˚ and green side shots.  So you want the 64˚ for around the green?  Do you play a lot of courses with ultra fast greens where any but the best possible miss leaves you with the choice of a miracle 60˚ shot or barely keeping a more stock pitch or chip from running off?  Do you just like being able to swing more aggressively on green side shots and figure you might as well try an even higher LW?  Some other reason?

Anyway, given you do want a 64˚, it depends on your game.  I personally wouldn't really like having a gap in my long irons.  I find partial shots with those much harder than with the wedges.  So I personally wouldn't drop the 4h.  If you can swing buying a whole new set of wedges, I think I'd vote for the 46/52/58/64 plan.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I'm not a LW hater and always argue against guys trying to convince people not to go through with adding a 60˚.  But just wondering why you want a 64˚ on top of a 60˚?  I ask because I know why I got my 60˚, and given my experience with it and the distances you give, I don't see why you need it.  I got my 60˚ for two main reasons: 1) Too many green side shots where a stock pitch or chip landed hotter than I wanted with the 54˚.  Plus I'm less comfortable relying on judging long roll out with a low chip than on hitting a higher pitch where if I land it where I want I can be more confident the ball will actually stop closer to where I want it, so 60˚ helps there too. 2) Distance gap between short game shots (say < 50 yards) and shots I'm comfortable hitting with my 54˚ or PW.  60˚ closed that gap for me.   That's all to explain my question.  Your "full" 60˚ goes 70 yards, and it sounds like you're also fairly comfortable with some partial wedge shots, so it wouldn't seem like you've got any gaps between full 60˚ and green side shots.  So you want the 64˚ for around the green?  Do you play a lot of courses with ultra fast greens where any but the best possible miss leaves you with the choice of a miracle 60˚ shot or barely keeping a more stock pitch or chip from running off?  Do you just like being able to swing more aggressively on green side shots and figure you might as well try an even higher LW?  Some other reason? Anyway, given you do want a 64˚, it depends on your game.  I personally wouldn't really like having a gap in my long irons.  I find partial shots with those much harder than with the wedges.  So I personally wouldn't drop the 4h.  If you can swing buying a whole new set of wedges, I think I'd vote for the 46/52/58/64 plan.

I wanted a 64* degree wedge for around the green but also that gives me a full wedge from 50 yards in. Last season I only hit about 40% of Girs so I left myself quite a few short chips. I was decent around the greens but there is obvious room for improvement. The issuse I have with opening up my 60 is with the bounce there is a chance of blading it, plus when I open it up I feel like its a very wristy shot.

IMHO, get rid of the 4 wood. You don't need 4 clubs that go 200+ yards. Do you? There are only 3 or 4 par fours on the average course. Good luck with that 64* wedge.

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

Originally Posted by Jspangler

I wanted a 64* degree wedge for around the green but also that gives me a full wedge from 50 yards in. Last season I only hit about 40% of Girs so I left myself quite a few short chips. I was decent around the greens but there is obvious room for improvement. The issuse I have with opening up my 60 is with the bounce there is a chance of blading it, plus when I open it up I feel like its a very wristy shot.

That's a technical issue rather than an equipment one. When you open the club up at address, you don't close it through impact unless you want the shot to release. Opening up the face plus lowering the hands to make the lie angle effectively flatter will make the loft point high and straight (it will look open based on the blade pointing right, but the ball will come off more or less straight if you do it right). You may also find that holding off the blade through impact, effectively blocking the shot, will give the ball more height and spin than releasing it. It sounds like you're flipping, which is only a good idea on special wedge shots like the flop.

Also, remember to grip down on these shots and use some speed. You don't need the 64 and it won't improve your play. I try to fight the notion average players can't play a 60 degree, but I think 64 is unnecessary for anyone unless you have the empty slot.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOKC903KQE0

one minute in, that's you.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

IMHO, get rid of the 4 wood. You don't need 4 clubs that go 200+ yards. Do you? There are only 3 or 4 par fours on the average course. Good luck with that 64* wedge.

Thanks for the tip but the 4w isn't leaving my bag anytime soon if ever. Lol. The 4i is only 200+ mid season. [quote name="LuciusWooding" url="/t/65036/looking-to-add-a-64-wedges-but-what-do-i-drop#post_812459"]That's a technical issue rather than an equipment one. When you open the club up at address, you don't close it through impact unless you want the shot to release. Opening up the face plus lowering the hands to make the lie angle effectively flatter will make the loft point high and straight (it will look open based on the blade pointing right, but the ball will come off more or less straight if you do it right). You may also find that holding off the blade through impact, effectively blocking the shot, will give the ball more height and spin than releasing it. It sounds like you're flipping, which is only a good idea on special wedge shots like the flop. Also, remember to grip down on these shots and use some speed. You don't need the 64 and it won't improve your play. I try to fight the notion average players can't play a 60 degree, but I think 64 is unnecessary for anyone unless you have the empty slot. EDIT: [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOKC903KQE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOKC903KQE0[/URL] one minute in, that's you. [/quote] Thanks for tip, but most of the video/ your tips I already knew. I am pretty versatile with the shots I can play. Maybe I'm underestimating the 64*. I thought it would take some of the work out the shot, just using the loft, rather than making the loft, if that makes any sense. Once again thanks for all the advice.

Jspangler,

We must be very similar golfers as I was asking this same question roughly two years ago and I hit my clubs very similar distances to yours. After much deliberation I decided to drop my 4-iron; I'm not that accurate with my long irons anyway and when I need a 4-iron distance I simply choke down and swing easy with my 3-hybrid. While that may not be a perfect solution I find that it generally works well enough and I love having the option of a 64 degree around the greens. I realize that it may not be for everyone, but adding the 64* to my bag has definitely improved my short game.

Matt

Ive just started golfing about 2 yrs ago, and picked up on the game fairly quickly, and got hooked! i now shoot low to mid 80's

i use my 64* wedge more than any other of my wedges(48*,52*,56*)! although it depends a lot on the lie, (i wont use it if I'm on a hard surface or dirt) but if I'm on decent grass my 64* is the club for me from about 80yds in! i have even gotten on it before and dropped it on the green from the 100yd marker!

i vary the ball position depending on the height i wanna hit(further back in my stance for higher and move it forward for a lower trajectory) i have practiced a good deal with it but not as much as one would think i needed to!

it may just be my swing or whatever but i make consistently good contact with it, and have great feel with that club! its all about having the faith to swing through the ball, and not being afraid of a bad shot! I do understand the other side of it, my buddy who basically taught me the ropes of golf don't even like to touch my 64*, but i swear by it!

Don't let a golf club scare you!!!

Jspangler, We must be very similar golfers as I was asking this same question roughly two years ago and I hit my clubs very similar distances to yours. After much deliberation I decided to drop my 4-iron; I'm not that accurate with my long irons anyway and when I need a 4-iron distance I simply choke down and swing easy with my 3-hybrid. While that may not be a perfect solution I find that it generally works well enough and I love having the option of a 64 degree around the greens. I realize that it may not be for everyone, but adding the 64* to my bag has definitely improved my short game. Matt

Thanks for the advice I think I'm going to pick one up and just carry 15 clubs for the start of the season so I can play around with it, what's the worst that happens, I hate it and park it in the spare bag? [quote name="hedge ky" url="/t/65036/looking-to-add-a-64-wedges-but-what-do-i-drop#post_812744"]Ive just started golfing about 2 yrs ago, and picked up on the game fairly quickly, and got hooked! i now shoot low to mid 80's i use my 64* wedge more than any other of my wedges(48*,52*,56*)! although it depends a lot on the lie, (i wont use it if I'm on a hard surface or dirt) but if I'm on decent grass my 64* is the club for me from about 80yds in! i have even gotten on it before and dropped it on the green from the 100yd marker! i vary the ball position depending on the height i wanna hit(further back in my stance for higher and move it forward for a lower trajectory) i have practiced a good deal with it but not as much as one would think i needed to!  it may just be my swing or whatever but i make consistently good contact with it, and have great feel with that club! its all about having the faith to swing through the ball, and not being afraid of a bad shot! I do understand the other side of it, my buddy who basically taught me the ropes of golf don't even like to touch my 64*, but i swear by it! Don't let a golf club scare you!!! [/quote] I like that end quote

Thanks for the advice I think I'm going to pick one up and just carry 15 clubs for the start of the season so I can play around with it.....

Heck yes! How much room do you have in your bag? Grab 3 or 4 more clubs and you should be able to cover just about any shot that comes up. Throw in a left handed club too. They can come in handy sometimes.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Heck yes! How much room do you have in your bag? Grab 3 or 4 more clubs and you should be able to cover just about any shot that comes up. Throw in a left handed club too. They can come in handy sometimes.

Thank you so much for the useful post, I hope you wasted more of your life thinking of posting that than I did reading it. The only way to learn using it is to use it on the course, hitting a 64* at the range doesnt do me any good.

Note: This thread is 4073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!