IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played 9 this morning, played from the tips and shot 40, so it was OK I guess.  Getting much more distance on my drives.  The new set up is working wonders off the tee.  Measured one out at 267 which is very long for me in cooler temps.  Hit 6 of 7 fairways so I was happy there.  Struggled with the irons.  Had a couple holes I blew it over the green, still adjusting to the new swing and hitting the ball farther.  Hit a few that were not struck very well either and landed short.  Got up and down 3 out of 7 times so I can improve there.  New pitching method working great though, just need to get better at judging the distance.  Hit a couple too long and had a plugged lie in the sand on a par three that left me an impossible out.  All in all the score was not there but the potential definitely is, and I think some good things are ahead this year.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A better nine this morning, shot a 38, and had two putts lip out that would have given me a 36.  I think I need an Aimpoint class.  Greens were very bumpy still though.  Only hit 2 fairways which was kind of unlucky, but kept the ball in play well and the added distance is putting me much closer on my approach shots.  I would not have been able to score like this from the tips last year.  5 greens today, one birdie, and 1 for 2 on green side UDs.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Where you playing cipher those are to good 9 hole scores and Im kinda in the milwaukee area and was wondering if I've played those courses

Originally Posted by Jakester23

Where you playing cipher those are to good 9 hole scores and Im kinda in the milwaukee area and was wondering if I've played those courses

I have the early bird membership at Ironwood in Sussex.  It has the three nine hole courses.  Makes it less the same all the time.  Two are pretty short at 3250 or so from the back and one is over 3400 from the back.

http://www.ironwoodgolfcourse.com/

Where do you usually play?  What are you shootin' in your avatar?

Nate

I play broadlands evergreen and rolling hills mostly sometimes western lakes. I'm shooting sporting clays

I play broadlands evergreen and rolling hills mostly sometimes western lakes. I'm shooting sporting clays

Nice, I live close to Rolling hills.

Nate

Question. Why do I struggle with taking the club back too far? I really need to work on this. Sorry the photo is so bad below, but the shaft is parallel to the ground at te top. I assume this is not good with an iron anyway. I feel like it makes it harder to keep the elbows together and get the arms down quickly enough. Any drill you guys do to keep from rotating too far at the top? I have been working on this for a long time, but obviously am struggling with the feel.

Nate

Might just need more pressure point #1/extensor action.  In practical terms, push your right hand into your left.  Also make sure the grip is in the fingers of the right hand, trigger finger is on the side of the shaft at A1.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Might just need more pressure point #1/extensor action.  In practical terms, push your right hand into your left.  Also make sure the grip is in the fingers of the right hand, trigger finger is on the side of the shaft at A1.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

I have been really trying to feel that with PP1 in the swing pushing the right hand into the left from start to finish.  I think I am losing it near the top though and not knowing it.  My tempo is often too fast I think I might be losing some of these feelings in the swing.  If I slow my back swing down using a smoother motion I can feel what I am doing at the top.  I might try and play with that a bit as well.  Thanks for reminding me of that thread with taking it up to the hands.  That helps.  I know one of my bad tendencies it to take the hands/arms back and behind rather than more up.  Hours of slow motion work here we come!

Nate

You must not be married you put a lot of time into your swing. I'm jealous. you look real smooth from the vids I've watched

You must not be married you put a lot of time into your swing. I'm jealous. you look real smooth from the vids I've watched

Ha ha, thanks but I have a long way to go.  actually I am 32 married for 10 years and have a 5 year old and a 2 year old(well almost 2) and run a business.  I set out 2 years ago to build a good swing I was a 12-15 handicap.  I hit a wall last year and started evolvr in the fall.  Had to then pretty much put the clubs away for the winter, and now signed back up with evolvr this spring.  I have put a lot of time into my swing.  I don't take time away from my family generally to do it, unless I am playing with my brother or my Dad though a couple times per year.  I walk nine holes every weekday that I can, I tee off at 5:30 am and get into work by 7:15 am.  I go to a range once a week to work on my evolvr lessons.  I really don't hit that many balls.  I make hundreds of slow motion swings with our without a club each day though. What Mike, Eric and James and Stephen have been teaching me though is how to practice correctly.  Check out Mike or Erik's thread and see how slowly they do things.  Understanding what to do is one thing but having the patience to slow everything down and get the feeling of how to do it is everything.  Trust me it does not come natural to me at all.  I find time throughout the day to make slow practice swings.  In between things at work or whenever.  People have walked into my office when I have been practicing a slow swing, maybe it is awkward for them, but not me, I don't care.  I can only imagine what most dudes do in the shower...me...I practice my swing slowly 50-100 more times... But again the most important thing is that I don't take time from my family to do it.  If you want something badly enough there is always a way.

Nate

Thats cool recently married here I kinda quit golf from about 2003 until last year. I probably played 8-10 rounds in that 8 year layoff I decided I want to be a real good sporting clays shooter so that's where all my extra $ went. I played a scramble in 2011 with my buddies and got the bug again. I bought all new clubs and I'm starting to work on having a decent swing my 03 swing was horrible and I didn't have a clue. Ill keep posting my videos on here its nice to see another WI guy on here.

Thats cool recently married here I kinda quit golf from about 2003 until last year. I probably played 8-10 rounds in that 8 year layoff I decided I want to be a real good sporting clays shooter so that's where all my extra $ went. I played a scramble in 2011 with my buddies and got the bug again. I bought all new clubs and I'm starting to work on having a decent swing my 03 swing was horrible and I didn't have a clue. Ill keep posting my videos on here its nice to see another WI guy on here.

That is fun.  I have not shot clays in a while but have done quite a bit of archery/hunting over the years.  Archery is kind of a family affair as my Dad's brother owns an archery company in Sparta, WI.

Nate

Working on some pieces James mentioned on my finish position involving the feet and torso.  I am also trying a different feeling at the top on my own.  Trying to stop laying the club down at the A4.  More PP1 as Mike mentioned and just trying to feel like the club head is back down the line from away from my hands(I call it the Stricker feeling) at the top(It is not even close).  I do like the club position better but this was kind of at the expense of my right elbow, which looks like there is too much separation away from the ribs and left elbow.  A bit of a low camera angle exaggeration but still.  I am not sure I can get wide and high and keep the relationship.

Edit: On the bright side I have a smoother finish!

Nate

Hy cipher, I was wondering if you have ever examined your shaft flex. I was noticing you really load the shaft and its pretty bent on the way down. I have noticed it with my swing also and I don't know if its a significant factor in ball contact, I haven't read your whole thread and sorry If this is off topic or already been addressed.

Originally Posted by pholmes

Hy cipher, I was wondering if you have ever examined your shaft flex. I was noticing you really load the shaft and its pretty bent on the way down. I have noticed it with my swing also and I don't know if its a significant factor in ball contact, I haven't read your whole thread and sorry If this is off topic or already been addressed.

What you are seeing as apparent "shaft flex" is a shutter roll effect of the camera. The shaft is not doing that.

Turn your camera sideways and film a swing and look at it and see what happens to that flex you thought you were seeing.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion

Guys, please read the thread before posting. This has already been covered. I do have the camera sideways as well. Back on topic if we can.

Nate

Originally Posted by cipher

Working on some pieces James mentioned on my finish position involving the feet and torso.  I am also trying a different feeling at the top on my own.  Trying to stop laying the club down at the A4.  More PP1 as Mike mentioned and just trying to feel like the club head is back down the line from away from my hands(I call it the Stricker feeling) at the top(It is not even close).  I do like the club position better but this was kind of at the expense of my right elbow, which looks like there is too much separation away from the ribs and left elbow.  A bit of a low camera angle exaggeration but still.  I am not sure I can get wide and high and keep the relationship.

Edit: On the bright side I have a smoother finish!

Better with the "width", shaft to the right shoulder, not do it with the elbows separating less.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!