IGNORED

Any other high-cappers out there HATE wide soled clubs?

Note: This thread is 4068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. I'm a high handicap and...

• Love wide soles on my irons
    • Hate wide soles on my irons

Originally Posted by logman

Yeah but there's all the crap around the "game improvement" or the "players irons". The distinctions are a fantasy probably invented by guys who are better golfers and want to separate themselves from the schmucks who have........ perimeter weighting!!!!!........NO.... NOT perimeter weighting!!!!

Golfers are a breed. I can't think of another sport where other players look at your equipment to see what sort of player you are. " HMMmmm, he has .....EEEeeekk, perimeter weighting........but I have forged blades......Therefore I'm a proper player. Ha!

So much of a golfers self worth is tied up in the style of their sticks. The brand, last years model(icky), the colour, even those guys that just have to have stiff shafts in their irons........even though they swing at half rat power. Ego, Machismo, self delusion.........wank!

there may be truth to what you are saying. however, i dont see evidence of it in this thread.  nobody is bashing anyone else because of what they play, we are merely expressing our preference.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah but there's all the crap around the "game improvement" or the "players irons". The distinctions are a fantasy probably invented by guys who are better golfers and want to separate themselves from the schmucks who have........ perimeter weighting!!!!!........NO.... NOT perimeter weighting!!!!

Golfers are a breed. I can't think of another sport where other players look at your equipment to see what sort of player you are. " HMMmmm, he has .....EEEeeekk, perimeter weighting........but I have forged blades......Therefore I'm a proper player. Ha!

So much of a golfers self worth is tied up in the style of their sticks. The brand, last years model(icky), the colour, even those guys that just have to have stiff shafts in their irons........even though they swing at half rat power. Ego, Machismo, self delusion.........wank!

Way to generalize. Based upon almost 30 yrs of golfing experience, I disagree. The overwhelming majority of golfers I have met use perimeter weighted cavity backed wide soled clubs. Maybe when you consider the small subset of serious golfers who play a lot (as you find here on TST) you might notice this mindset of club snobbery, but it's not rampant in the overall golf population.

And, you can't think of another sport where players look at each other's equipment??? How about every other sport? Even in little league kids are checking out each other's bats and gloves. You don't bike (road or mountain) by any chance do you? Nothing but equipment based envy and chest pounding in that sport. Even basketball has the sneaker thing going. Tennis anyone? Just go to any tennis forum and catch a screen full of all the debate going on about GI vs players sticks - power, thin beam wide beam, head size, stiffness, etc. Not only in every sport, but in every human endeavor you can find this phenomena. Hmmm, I feel like going fishing with my $300 Avet casting reel (casting reels are for serious fishermen because people who only use spinning reels can't operate them properly) and Shimano carbon fiber rod.

dak4n6

My sticks are perimeter weighted, cavity back and (after verifying last night) actually have a top line thickness that is VERY close to the Ping G10. So you're pissing in the wind with this one Logman.

The top line is funny though, it isn't rounded like the Ping, it has sharp corners which somehow makes the thickness less obvious (in fact if someone had asked me last week I would have said it was way thinner than the Ping). So I will change my position on this, I don't mind a thick(ish) topline provided it doesn't look like a cartoon.

The soles however are about 50% thinner and that is important to me, again this is on a mental level. I'll try to explain, conceptually I see a good strike as one that makes solid contact with the back of the ball without contacting the turf until the ball has been struck (and is on its merry way). To me, conceptually, this requires precision that can only be attained with a thin sole (think scalpel). Now I know on a practical level that this is not true and that plenty of low cappers hit beautifully struck shots with shovels all the time however it affects my confidence and self belief making it very hard for me to make that proper contact with, what I perceive to be, an inappropriate tool with far to much girth to provide the precision that my mind thinks is required.

I am in no way trying to imply that SGI/GI are only for hacks or that playing them automatically relegates someone to the hack category (but bending your lead elbow 90* in the backswing does ) , nor do I think playing blades makes someone better than their actual swing.

Loggy, I think you have just run out of steam with the LPG battles and are now looking for a new venue for your squabbling. squabble, squabble, squabble. LOL.

PS, just kidding with lead elbow comment. Seriously, do whatever you want. Unless you lying about your cap it seems to work OK for you. Makes you look a bit like a 'tard tho. LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

what a bizarre affectation. OOOOHHH I don't like the shape of that Iron. What a wank.

Shape = performance.

And I don't mean the psychological aspects of shape, either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by dak4n6

. You don't bike (road or mountain) by any chance do you? Nothing but equipment based envy and chest pounding in that sport.

Cannondale Synapse with full Dura-ace and Mavic Ksyrium wheelset.  Sub 16lbs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

. Hmmm, I feel like going fishing with my $300 Avet casting reel (casting reels are for serious fishermen because people who only use spinning reels can't operate them properly) and Shimano carbon fiber rod.

Casting reels are only for those who can't handle a flyrod!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I only use forged fish hooks. Like butter!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Cannondale Synapse with full Dura-ace and Mavic Ksyrium wheelset.  Sub 16lbs.

That sounds like one fast ride. Your wheelset is probably worth more than my entire bike.

Quote:

Casting reels are only for those who can't handle a flyrod!

Well played DiF, well played (I don't fly fish - I couldn't handle another multi-million dollar sport/hobby)

dak4n6

(I don't fly fish - I couldn't handle another multi-million dollar sport/hobby)

Tell me about it.  I'm NEVER gonna forgive my brother in law for getting me and my wife started in that little endeavor!

We're about out of kidneys to sell.....

In David's bag....

You stalk the flats for bonefish or go inland for those big fat Florida bass?

Enjoy popping for bass locally, but really love going up to the mountains for trout. Not much prettier than a mountain stream at dawn.......

In David's bag....

Quote:
Enjoy popping for bass locally, but really love going up to the mountains for trout. Not much prettier than a mountain stream at dawn.......

Agreed. And I love the process of stalking and reading the stream. I know this is anathema for a fly fisherman, but when I was young I developed a deadly trout method. Using a good quality ultra-light spinning outfit, I can flick a garden worm on a light hook unweighted up to 40 ft. Without weight it drifts so natually no trout can resist.

Sorry for getting OT..

dak4n6

Agreed. And I love the process of stalking and reading the stream. I know this is anathema for a fly fisherman, but when I was young I developed a deadly trout method. Using a good quality ultra-light spinning outfit, I can flick a garden worm on a light hook unweighted up to 40 ft. Without weight it drifts so natually no trout can resist.

Sorry for getting OT..

No, no, carry on. It's a nice break from Logman's tripe , I'm enjoying it. Almost feels like I'm fishing....

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Does this mean it's time to start a separate Trout Fishing in America forum?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Does this mean it's time to start a separate Trout Fishing in America forum?

Yeah......we did wander off the reservation a bit there, didn't we.

Back on topic.

In David's bag....

Sorry for getting OT..

Trout fishing in Australia, I reckon. Mate I've been flickin a grasshopper  for years.......It's an awesome way to hunt/fish.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

I don't know if approx. 14 is high or mid cap, but either way I hate wide soled irons.

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

get something inbetwwen a playerd and a GI club- I am still in my now aging Adams A7s, the Wilson Ci series also fits this bill, still an oversized head, but thinner topline, progressive offset and less sole! There are plenty of other - Nike Pro Cavity and its VRs replacement, Cobra Amp also spring too mind, maybe even the Ping G25

Originally Posted by Mozgolf

get something inbetwwen a playerd and a GI club- I am still in my now aging Adams A7s, the Wilson Ci series also fits this bill, still an oversized head, but thinner topline, progressive offset and less sole! There are plenty of other - Nike Pro Cavity and its VRs replacement, Cobra Amp also spring too mind, maybe even the Ping G25

+1 on the W/S Ci series.

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

Note: This thread is 4068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!