IGNORED

Newb in Texas

Fred Garvin
Note: This thread is 4069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Greetings everyone.

I've always had an interest in Golf, but have only recently taken enough interest to actually try and learn to play. I'm 47, so starting a bit later in life, but that doesn't matter really as that's not what it's about. I also have a sailboat and I enjoy spending time out on the lake, or even just tied up in my slip at the marina.

I've gone to the driving range a few times, and I can get the ball in the air maybe 7 out of 10 times. I don't yet really have control of where the ball goes or how far it goes, so I'm not ready to try getting out on the course. I also practice chipping and putting on their practice greens and bunkers. I read the book "Golf for Dummies" and watched the DVD, so I have a rudimentary mental knowledge of how to play and the basics of etiquette and rules. I just need to learn how to hit the ball and control it enough to get out and actually start playing the game.

My ex father in law gave me an old set of clubs to learn with. He was an avid golfer (passed away 2 years ago) and played every chance he got. He was going to teach me how to play, but I injured my back....after 2 surgeries and a series of injections....and a couple years healing, I'm finally back to try again. He gave me 3 Callaway drivers: a Big Bertha Warbird, a 3 and a 5 fairway clubs. He also gave me his "game improvement" irons, a set of Callaway Fusion irons. He told me he only used them when he "couldn't hit my blades"....he'd use the Fusions a bit then go back to his usual clubs. He said they'd help me learn because they're easy to hit. The putter he gave me is an inexpensive Wilson putter....he said it would be fine for me at first, but I'd probably want to go get a better one that feels good to me. At this stage of the game, it doesn't matter....I'm just happy to not miss the ball.....get it in the air....and have it go a ways......

So, next steps for me....lessons. I want to have a few sessions with a teaching pro before I develop any bad habits....and I really want to start playing, but I'm totally nervous. I'm by myself, so I'll have to be put with strangers....and I don't want to piss them off, delay them or ruin their game. I don't care if I make a fool of myself; I have thick skin....I just don't want to be "that guy"....that newb they got stuck with and ruined their game. I'm glad I found this resource! This looks like a great place to get in the community and talk to golfers.....I know everyone was where I'm at once; we all have to start somewhere; I'm looking forward to getting advice.

BTW - I'm new here but not to forums. I've been posting since the days of Usenet....and have thousands of posts on other forums....so: I know how to SEARCH before posting!

Scott in the DFW Metroplex.

PS - I'm also enjoying playing TW13 on my Xbox360....if anyone wants to play just msg me.

Note: This thread is 4069 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!